Hello everyone... This is my first of two builds in the group build. My favorite fighter of the war is obviously the Corsair. My favorite Italian fighters are the Macchi Mc.202/205 family, they have such sleek lines and remind ne of the interwar racers they're born from. I will be building Hasegawa’s venerable classic kit in 1/48 scale.

3Hmsnzs.jpg

Yes Im certifiable :bounce: as I plan on free handing the smoke ring camouflage. A0Jfk4s.jpg

mVPRteT.jpg
I am compelled to do this as Ive wanted both this plane and camouflage in my collection for close to forty years now. Here are the obligatory sprue photo’s. WwBNfz7.jpg

dhaRF09.jpg

ViUMC06.jpg

ym4kEkz.jpg

The second build will be from the cover art, a 112 Squadron KittyHawk III. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 17

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

An aircraft and a colour scheme that I really like Dennis.

Any idea how you will do the smoke ring camo yet? Have you thought of drawing it on with a watercolour pencil?

Actually I've become good at doing them with my new airbrush. Ive been practicing awhile and I was able to get them with the .35 Neo. But the .20 needle makes it even easier. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, John Masters said:

Looks very fun.  Yes please...tutorial when it's time...

1 hour ago, Niknak said:

Great choice dennis, think i'll pull up a seat n watch your build.nick

Im hoping to get a start finally today or tomorrow, I’ve had a case of lifus interruptus lately. 

• Like 1

Evening everybody... well I did a little more work on both builds today. The only thing on this that didn't really fit to well was the upper central cowling. DHPFG9l.jpg

UqRCz3g.jpg

I added brass tubing to represent the barrels of the guns. Hasegawa just leaves the openings open with nothing in them. alehNdn.jpg

wMIU58I.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Nice work, including dressing up the box canyons that are the kit's blast troughs.  What colour did you paint the cockpit?  I'm never sure if Macchi cockpits were Verde Anticorrosione or Grigio Azzurro Chiaro.

Edited by JosephLalor

6 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Nice work, including dressing up the box canyons that are the kit's blast troughs.  What colour did you paint the cockpit?  I'm never sure if Macchi cockpits were Verde Anticorrosione or Grigio Azzurro Chiaro.

According to a member @Giorgio N that is very familiar with the subject I went with Grigio Azzuro Chiaro. He builds quite a lot of Italian subjects and has done research. I asked him the very same question in his G.55 Centauro thread. His response was exceptionally detailed and I went with it. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080087-anr-g55-sottoserie-0/&do=findComment&comment=3822725

Dennis

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

According to a member @Giorgio N that is very familiar with the subject I went with Grigio Azzuro Chiaro. He builds quite a lot of Italian subjects and has done research. I asked him the very same question in his G.55 Centauro thread. His response was exceptionally detailed and I went with it. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080087-anr-g55-sottoserie-0/&do=findComment&comment=3822725

Dennis

Good stuff.  Thanks to you and Georgio.

• Like 1

I'm absolutely in for this, Dennis :popcorn: :popcorn: 

Regarding the cowling guns, you are not supposed to see them at all, they were completely hidden inside that part of the fuselage.

I've built this kit myself recently-ish: the engine cowling needs attention, as you correctly indicated. Also, beware of the vertical panel line right aft of it: it actually was a gasket sealed join, running all around the fuselage, and you need to enlarge and deepen it quite a bit for a proper scale effect. You can clearly see it here:

C.202_fighter_taking_off.jpg

If you want, I can add a link to my build, there were a lot of contributions from knowledgeable people on both the C202 and the C205

HTH

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, giemme said:

If you want, I can add a link to my build, there were a lot of contributions from knowledgeable people on both the C202 and the C205

I remember your build it was the very first build I followed when I first joined here. A link would be very helpful.

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Also, beware of the vertical panel line right aft of it: it actually was a gasket sealed join, running all around the fuselage, and you need to enlarge and deepen it quite a bit for a proper scale effect. You can clearly see it here:

Is this the one surrounded in red ?  fLy1Q5E.jpg

Dennis

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is this the one surrounded in red ?

Exactly that one! :) 

Here's the link:

You may remember it was a double build, a C202 and a C205; also, the C202 was from a different box, but it's basically the same kit. The only thing is that the AC I built was from an early production series. 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Evening everyone... Well I have to say the fit on the wings was quite good. Only one tiny area on the wing fuselage join needs filling. GCoqfTa.jpg
That spot is right at the rear of the wing on the underside, Ive already added some plastic strip to fill the gap. Marked with the red surround. dsJMYKZ.jpg

Of course the obligatory gluey fingerprint is pointed at by the red arrow. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Looking good, Dennis :clap: I just checked and had to do the same filling on the bottom wing to fuselage join - looks like the mold used for these kits is very consistent, also with the small blemishes .... :D 

Ciao

• Thanks 1