I don't have a plan for this!

Paul821

The title for this build, my third entry GB, means what is says. I do not have a plan for the build. It does link the other two builds. My current project is to build a village in 1:148 scale be the centre of an N gauge railway. Usually each build takes a couple of days so putting this in the GB is just what I would have planned for today/tomorrow.

More details later.

• Like 1

Here is what passes for a sprue shot in this build

DSC04425

Yes a blank sheet of 1mm card.

Recently Britmodeller has moved into the 21st Century  with a new Forum area for 3D modelling, CAD etc.. Well this is a move back into the 20th Century (or before) with a genre not much used in BM, that is card modelling. However this will have a 21st Century twist in that I will using a laptop for design so some of the required build shots will be screen prints.

I will be back in a short while with the first set of screen prints,

At 21:17 - here's the build thread so far

As the title of this thread says "I don't have a pan for this" so the first stage is to get your plan. Normally I would photograph the building minimising perspective errors and measuring key features. In this case I I chose a building  i'd driven past and knew some of the history of so I took an image from Google street view

Screenshot (2)

and using to Snipping tool copied the building into Adobe elements

Screenshot (3)

where the perspective could be corrected. This straightened image was them saved.

The actual plan is produced using Inkscape an open source 2D pogram and the picture is loaded into the plan

Screenshot (4)

Next to the image you will see a rectangle this is scaled to be an average door 82.5 inches in height and 38 inches in width, To allow the image to resized to approximately the correct size. In this case I am not too worried about obtaining 100% accuracy it is more about what the building will look like in the final model village against the other buildings,

The next stage is create my own grid lines for the major verticals and horizontals

Screenshot (6)

these then allow me to create the various shapes that will make up the model

Screenshot (7)

After the I will do a test print on 200gsm card to be able to build up a prototype

DSC04427

This will show me any areas the need attention , in this case my maths regarding the roof size were out slightly. So I can now go back to amend the drawing as required.

But that is tomorrows job.

• Like 3

First the completion shot

DSC04430

Just over 24 hours in three sessions taking around 4 hours.

To continue the story as to this build

I had to resize the entire model as it was too big - that was fairly easy as Inkscape has a easy rescale function.

It wa

DSC04429

and rolled down to eliminate bubbles. Pritt stick is my preferred glue for this as it does not cause bubbles to form in the paper itself. PVA does not do this.

The next stage was to draw the front of the building using a mixture of inscape tools and importing photos of the door and windows - cut out using Photoshop elements,

Screenshot (8)

Then using Photoshop I took the main building elements from the picture, roof tiles and weatherboards and made up and printed a "builders yards" sheet,

Screenshot (9)

These, as the building front,  were then cut out and applied to the model using Pritt Stick to get the final result.

This build is the fourth in a series of around eight - ten I need for my village green scene  once it is complete I will post it in Dioramas.

• Like 2