Modern Royal Navy Warship Grey

Hi

Can someone recommend a close colour match for RN warships both superstructure and decks please

One last question has anyone used Humbrol paint for airbrushing ? Any recommendations for thinning and pressure please 

Thank you 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, paul1234 said:

Hi

Can someone recommend a close colour match for RN warships both superstructure and decks please

One last question has anyone used Humbrol paint for airbrushing ? Any recommendations for thinning and pressure please 

Thank you 

BS381C-676 Light Weatherwork Grey is in the Colourcoats range as NARN52. 

According to e-paint.co.uk, the nearest FS that's covered by Humbrol is 36375, number 127.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Joseph is spot on - BS381C-676 has been the standard colour for verticals since 1968.

Thanks Jamie. What colour would have been used up to 1968? I spent some time in Malta in the 1960 as a child and seem to recall a paler, bluer grey but I can't be certain?

Terry

21 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks Jamie. What colour would have been used up to 1968? I spent some time in Malta in the 1960 as a child and seem to recall a paler, bluer grey but I can't be certain?

Terry

From the 50s through the 60s the verticals were mostly BS381C-697 Light Admiralty Grey and -632 Dark Admiralty Grey. It should be noted however that -697 changed colour in the 1964 edition of BS381 to the greenish shade we know now. Prior to this it was a bluish grey, introduced, I believe in 1948 and matched to 507C. It's likely this - defacto 507C by a new name - that you recall seeing.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Joseph is spot on - BS381C-676 has been the standard colour for verticals since 1968. For decks there have been two main candidates with the green having fallen out of favour some time ago.

RoyalNavyModern_540x.png?v=1595745494

Hi Jamie

Do you have these colours in stock ? 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Prior to this it was a bluish grey, introduced, I believe in 1948 and matched to 507C. It's likely this - defacto 507C by a new name - that you recall seeing.

Just looked up 697 and it was almost certainly the colour I recall. Thanks for helping with that memory!

Terry

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

Thanks Terry

If sovereign hobbies doesn’t have these in stock do you know a match from another paint manufacturer ie Tamiya ? 
Thanks 

3 hours ago, paul1234 said:

Thanks Terry

If sovereign hobbies doesn’t have these in stock do you know a match from another paint manufacturer ie Tamiya ? 
Thanks 

In his response above, Joseph suggests that Humbrol 127 is a close match to FS36375. If you follow this link Humbrol offer conversion charts to other manufactures paint. I couldn't see a Tamiya equivalent to Humbrol 127 but some of the others show an equivalent.

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/media/resources/Humbrol/HumbrolChart.pdf

I'm not the colour expert here, unlike @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies who is our go to colour man. Indeed there was a thread on this a while back which I found, which might also help you....

I've had no problem airbrushing Humbrol paints (or any others for that matter). It's all a matter of getting the right consistency and pressure. I usually airbrush most types of paint at around 15 to 20 psi. Trial and error is the key.

You can thin Humbrol paints with any good quality enamel thinner, but speaking personally my favourite enamel paints tend to be Colourcoats. I've recently started to use them in earnest, and they are excellent in my opinion.

HTH

Terry

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 30/08/2020 at 14:22, paul1234 said:

Thank you 

Both Humbrol and Colourcoats spray beautifully. They both are enamel and thin well with either brand of thinner.

You can also thin with odourless thinners e.g. Windsor and Newton Sans Odor but thinners like those which are aimed at oils take mich longer to dry in my experience.

I tend to spray around 15 PSI but I only got back into the hobby 12 months ago so am still experimenting.

I have used a few other brands of enamel and found thses two to be my favorite. 

Use of laquers and acrylics is on trend mostly and they do have advantages but for me I have not felt the need to move away except for metallics and use of an acrylic clear to protect the paint from enamel based weathering products.