Very interesting, but it will never replace aircraft

Hello all. I have recently been building old models and getting plenty of fun from them. This time, I thought I would try something newer, this time from 1999, the MPM 1/72 scale Fairey Barracuda II. It was an 'interesting' build, and went reasonably well for a 'short run' kit. I did not need much filler, just some underneath the fuselage and along the wing/fuselage joints.

The build is full of errors (probably self-induced), but the main problem I had was with the Cartograf transfers. I do not know if was the age, but they lifted off the surface and curled. I used 'Klear' to re-settle them down, but they also silvered something atrocious, despite flooding underneath them with 'Klear'. The model represents one from  52 TBR Wing, 829 Squadron, HMS Victorious 1944.

I have always wanted to build a Barracuda, ever since I saw the old Frog kit back in the 60's, and I managed to get this kit from our local Club Show for only £7 a few years ago, and I thought it was time to build it.

Anyway, here she is.

DSCN6354

DSCN6355

DSCN6357

DSCN6358

DSCN6359

DSCN6360

DSCN6361

One error in the build has just come and slapped me in the chops: I forgot to paint the wingtip lights!

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed building this and it was fun not doing a 'shake and bake'.

Thanks for looking,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 36

On 8/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, Ray S said:

One error in the build has just come and slapped me in the chops: I forgot to paint the wingtip lights!

I often forget on purpose. At that range, who's going to notice?!

Very nice build!

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

Nice to see you've got the Barracuda on the shelf at last. For all it's foibles, it is an interesting looking plane - I have the MPM kit and a newer Special Hobby kit. I expect the Special Hobby one to be much nicer.

The quote you gave was one that sticks to memory - the other was the view of observers that when folded up, it looked like it had been involved in a nasty accident.

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1