BMW 3.5CSL 1976 Gosser Bier

Coors54

Morning all,

I trust everyone is enjoying the Bank Holiday.

I have just started the old Bandai/Otaki/Doyusha 1/12 BMW E9 3.5 CSL, I got a bit of a glue bomb off eBay a couple of months ago and I've stripped it down and given the shell a bath in Mr Muscle to get rid of the paint and decals, so I'm just about to start putting it back together.

As part of my car collection I want to modify the model from the 1975 IMSA spec to 1976 European Group 5 spec, I saw the cars run at the inaugural Silverstone 6 Hour meeting and the Fitzpatrick/Walkinshaw car won it in an exciting finish from Porsche's Martini 935.

d03cb97a-4ca5-4843-a3d9-172f8ec24e99.jpg

Initially I thought I would make the winning Hermetite sponsored car but the more I research it the more I am taken with the #2 Schnitzer prepared Gosser Bier sponsored car, this retired from the race but went on to be the most successful of the CSL Batmobiles and is still raced in classic events after an extensive rebuild.

2d0313f9-25dc-4702-b61f-aa4922bb348d.jpg

So my question is, what colour reference is the green this beauty is painted in?

I've searched the interweb to see if Gosser Bier have any Pantone refs for their house colour but found nothing and it seems to have changed over the years and on other sponsored cars.

The restoration seems to have got it a bit lighter than the period photos seem to indicate so I'm reluctant to ask the restorer.

4649731d-03c2-4b33-9906-9fb6f591540a.jpg

I would like to get an off the shelf rattle can if possible but this may be overly optimistic.

The major mods to the kit shell are a new front and rear spoiler and louvred vents over the rear wheels, so my hacksaw will be out!

Dave

44 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

Just checked but couldn't find any empties so might need to buy some to confirm for you

Top man, above and beyond the call I reckon.....😄

Dave

1 hour ago, roymattblack said:

The recent colour looks very much like the Ferrari green from years ago which is almost identical to Ford Modena green.

I agree Roy, now I've had a chance to look at some pictures, but it is too light.

Dave

Top man @Chimpion ! I appreciate the sacrifice!

The green on the bottle label is nearer the colour on the car in 1976, but as you say a tad darker than the Humbrol 2 or 364 Aqua.

I'm leaning towards RAL6001 but If the worst comes to the worst I'll have to buy some of the beer myself! 

Thanks again.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Morning fellow petrolheads,

I've finally got my glue bomb Batmobile apart and started hacking and cutting to create the front air dam. After @roymattblack's comments on the fit and level of detail I wasn't expecting much but it seems pretty good to my eye for a mid '70's kit (still not worth the silly eBay prices though) -

256df6fd-bc61-4d75-b762-ecbd97bcb674.jpg

And cutting the rear arches for the new louvre vents -

5bdb760e-ffeb-4422-b39b-69554ab9686c.jpg

The rear arches were actually a bit wider on the Gp5 cars but doing that would mean lots more mods to the chassis and drive train and I'm not up for that so I'm compromising.

Colourwise, the green on the race cars in period seems very close to John Deere tractor green so I've got a touch up aerosol from the local agent to see what that looks like!

I'm not going to do a full WIP on this as I find it too time consuming so this is just a finalisation of my initial request.

Keep safe everyone.

Dave