1980s classic Honda Prelude XX Tamiya 1:24

This is the last of my long-term builds; started over ten years ago and stalled due to house moves and other priorities.

This is the WIP topic:

As a Tamiya kit it goes together pretty well, except for the front bumper, which needed a lot of hacking about to make it fit and it's still not quite right.  Although I started the build before I'd even heard of this forum, I picked up a few tips and ideas that encouraged me to add a few extra details as a result of reading the forum.  The main thing was going find pictures of real Preludes and trying to replicate what I saw.

Other issues were trying to get a decent finish on the paint, clear coat and the chrome and black trim.  Anyway, I'm sure you want to see some "pretty" pictures.

y4ms4jdrrQg2ig1JoVC2VFLE2nOIusyjE2EyOEVO

I'm glad I picked out the centre caps on the wheels (not called out in the instructions).

y4m_BecTvUKfdlQlZ0etT-shl3gU3UMa_cL8sqOe

The sunroof makes it easy to see the interior details, I added black pieces to represent the clips where you would fasten your seat belt.  You can't tell that I changed the shape of the seat bolsters (which is probably good) but they looked a little under-nourished before (probably to make them easier to mould).

y4m8pY6hg1-CiNZcsxLVYYHLZ3ZNFSWmN4NxaxQZ

Front end, it would take a lot of work to reposition the front grille.  The pop-up lights are a nightmare too.

y4mRJRQI1Oowt11mLEEhim3QDm9zQKVMVQBpEluo

y4mk7Qc8DJtOo1K7rAQijqwfvrfS_w5fVJi_abnN

I'm glad I added seat belts, it doesn't quite line up on this side but it's not too bad.

y4m8E12YvRx2RGmL9MCE9Wy1e1ZtfEU7-z007Me2

y4mpBYUw8JHOnNBmx6IpFbAal4H4j7Qc0pJy5AEa

Mirrors done with chrome pen and even give a bit of reflection.

y4mgONNqks01n0aCJnRAzhoNOnBL1U-e7WK6_K0m

y4mrii5w6vBTOSzeTYRpnFgulz6Mz34Ql31iVeGD

I think the rear 3/4 view might be my favourite.

y4mTnphQQ-uFeih0atSSm1gcIQcT1oNENgfePpCj

Profile isn't bad either.

y4m3Y7-TI9-KuYkciLfPWtoNeOwGD60u27huVzxV

Underside, the white putty is supposed to be the windscreen washer bottle.

y4mnidX7_pFujTnc8k4T1UEW4XycaHtv5JEk-6f9

Under the bonnet.  I've added wires and vacuum lines, not necessarily all that's there but there wasn't any in the kit.  I also added the windscreen washer filler on the left with the blue cap (a piece of plastic rod with a blob of filler on the end and painted blue).  Radiator cap had a blob of yellow added to replicate the warning label.  I also fabricated a power-steering pump out of a bit of sprue with a masking tape drive belt and another bit of sprue as the PAS fluid reservoir.

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, as a fan of 1980s and '90s Hondas, in particular the Prelude, I had to have this in my collection.

• Like 8

Thanks @Spiny thankfully the changes I made to the front bumper were mostly on the inside although you can just see a missing piece if you know where to look.  To get it properly aligned would require more radical surgery.  It certainly is nice to see it finished at last.

I like how this looks like the type of thing you used to see every day at one time. A no nonsense car, tall profile tyres, nothing flash, just smart design. Years since I've seen one in the wild, or anywhere come to think of it...

• Like 1