Telford Hotel (Travelodge)

Hi guys,

as the main Telford thread has been closed for some reason I have to start a new one...

Has or had anyone here booked a room at the Travelodge, next to the International Centre? And had any luck with re-booking or cancelling?

If I cancel I lose £227.47 as it's a non-refundable rate. Changing the booking to one year ahead, even with a added fee, is apparently impossible as Travelodge posts on their website they have a policy that you can only change the reservation 325 days in advance, so by the time I can re-book for 2021 this year's booking is already well gone and I'd have to pay the room's cost anyway.

I've had trouble contacting Travelodge in the past, they never seemed to reply to emails and only answered the phone after multiple calls. Suffice to say this a tad inconvenient when living in Japan...

So, in short, has anyone here been in the same situation and had any luck with getting out of the sticky situation, perhaps with some goodwill from Travelodge?

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

I shot a message out to John to see if they can help.

For our US Nats the Hotels were all good will cancelling our reservations at no charge.  Hopefully the Travelodge has something similar.

Otherwise I would see if you can move the reservation as far as you can and then a couple months later move it again.  Not sure if that would work or not but might be worth a shot.

Good luck,

Phil Peterson

1st VP

IPMS/USA

• Like 1

Thanks - IPMS UK clearly state in their Telford cancellation letter that they can't be held responsible for hotel bookings so I don't want to pile on any more stress onto them than they already have...

I have contacted Travelodge about this and I'm waiting if I get a reply (though as I said, I didn't have much luck in the past).

Your idea of moving the booking twice is worth a shot I guess - the only thing that could happen is that if I can't move the booking a second time I may end up paying even more as the rates will have gone up from this year to next...Let's see!

Cheers,

J

Travelodge are one of those companies that tends to stick rigidly to their terms and conditions, so if you have a saver booking it’s unlikely they will let you cancel for a refund. (We use them occasionally for work and I’ve fallen foul of this before).

As Phil says, one option my be to move it to a later date then again to SMW weekend next February.(but check you are allowed to move twice)

Edited by Dave Fleming

Fortunately we booked with a hotel away from Telford, no cancellation fee and booked for 2021.

Disappointing that in the circumstances Travelodge might not be flexible.

Neil

Are you on twitter?

Most firms have really top notch customer service via twitter, if you send them a tweet they'll respond pretty quickly and hopefully sort it out for you.

I've had several big firms ignore phonecalls and emails, but then fix the issue very quickly after a tweet.

It’s a bank holiday this weekend so you may not get much response from back office until Tuesday.

14 hours ago, malpaso said:

It’s a bank holiday this weekend so you may not get much response from back office until Tuesday.

16 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Are you on twitter?

Most firms have really top notch customer service via twitter, if you send them a tweet they'll respond pretty quickly and hopefully sort it out for you.

I've had several big firms ignore phonecalls and emails, but then fix the issue very quickly after a tweet.

No, I'm not on Twitter, but I will try sending a Facebook message.

Thanks for the heads-up!

J

The problem is that in the UK budget hotels like Travelodge and Premier Inn offer two rates for the same stay, a cheaper ‘pay now non-refundable’ and a more expensive ‘pay on departure, flexible, cancellable’.

So I don’t think they are going to be too willing to refund.  Of course Covid is an unusual situation - best to try and play on their heart strings and make sure they understand that you would have been coming from Japan and the whole trip is now cancelled.  What about travel insurance - did you take that out, or did you pay on a credit card - has your whole trip been cancelled, if so you could claim on those.

I was due to go to a wargaming show in Newark this October, booked a Premier Inn before Covid, I booked for a group of ten and fortunately because I didn’t want to pay up front for everyone especially as some have a history of changing their minds I insisted on the more expensive flexible rates.  More by luck, turned out to be the best decision ever.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks a lot,

I'll give TL a couple more days to reply and if not I'll try the "double re-book" route. First re-book for a random date in Spring '21 (same duration of stay) for a fee of 5 Quid and then hopefully re-book for November '21 (fingers crossed that SMW '21 will actually happen...).

It was on card, but I'm pretty sure the payment is only taken after checkout. As I hadn't booked flights yet I hadn't taken travel insurance yet so those two options are out..

Hope my plan will work.

Cheers,
J

As Nigel says, Travelodge has two prices, and you get what you pay for.

I did the same, booking a non-refundable night at Travelodge (in Oxford) from Sunday (after the show). Although I had not booked flight tickets yet, I had paid most of my trip by travel card (rental car + other hotels). So I am hoping the travel insurance will cover the loss.

Nils

I've got a response from Travelodge! They themselves suggest the method of amending the date twice to get to the desired date in November '21.

So I will forge ahead and do it. The only caveat may be that I can end up very unlucky if I let it slip by a few days and all available rooms for SMW 21 are already taken when I try to re-book for the second time. I just have to be on guard and log in at the earliest possible day...

Thanks everyone!

Jeffrey

• Like 2

Best use a credit card not a debit card when booking hotels etc. Considering that Travelodge at Telford get a full room booking due to the show each year, you would think under the circumstances they would be a bit more flexible and allow booking for the following year it they have already been paid up front. Using a credit card I believe allows you to claim back against the credit card company unless the supplier is in breach of contract, and in any case it there is a dispute, the credit card company has more clout than the individual in getting recompense. Travelodge decisions are probably head office made so the local manager cannot change their policy at local level in any way.

My son worked for Travelodge as a site manager for a short time. He kept getting constantly moved from site to site, many that were some considerable travelling distance. The remuneration was not brilliant, and he had to fund running his car for many miles but it took considerable time get his expenses paid back after claiming them. Financially it became untenable for him to keep going like this so he quickly left and moved on.

Edited by Noel Smith
2 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Using a credit card I believe allows you to claim back against the credit card company, and in any case it there is a dispute, the credit card company has more clout than the individual in getting recompense.

Only if there is a breach of contract by the supplier. (which isn't the case here)

I don't want to Mr. Doom-And-Gloom here, but we have to consider the possibility that Telford 2021 could also be cancelled. Obviously I don't have a functional crystal-ball and no-one can truly predict what the situation will be in 14 months from now, but there is a possibility of greater disruption next year (what an unpleasant thought that is!).

As I said, really don't want to be a Killjoy, but the possibility is there...

Chris.  

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I don't want to Mr. Doom-And-Gloom here, but we have to consider the possibility that Telford 2021 could also be cancelled. Obviously I don't have a functional crystal-ball and no-one can truly predict what the situation will be in 14 months from now, but there is a possibility of greater disruption next year (what an unpleasant thought that is!).

Chris.  

You're not a killjoy Cris, I'm afraid I'm with you on all that. I can see next year being very similar to this one...

7 hours ago, keithjs said:

You're not a killjoy Cris, I'm afraid I'm with you on all that. I can see next year being very similar to this one...

Yep, when I first started to contemplate that prospect, my mood darkened more than a little.... Still, we should make the best of every situation. What more can we do?

Chris. 

On 9/14/2020 at 12:17 PM, keithjs said:

I must agree with my learned colleague.

On 9/14/2020 at 11:47 AM, spruecutter96 said:

Chris.  

Totally agree.  You hear so many people, even on the media say “can’t wait until 2020 is over” and I’m thinking “what do you think is going to happen on 1st Jan 2021, do you imagine some big switch will be thrown and virus will be gone”.

I work for a very large company, with lots of sub-divisions each of which is a big company in its own right.  In my division we have been told we are working from home for the forceable future, at least to the end of the year but expect longer.  But one division has gone further and sent out letters saying “if you are absolutely needed on site then you already are, otherwise expect to be working from home until an effective vaccine is available and has been widely distributed, based on current progress and advice the estimated return to work date is December 2021”.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1