Lavochkin La-7 - 1/48 Eduard

Hi all -  This is the old Eduard La-7 in 1/48 - I struggled a fair bit with this one - I think it's been my longest build to date, not helped by my attempted modifications - adding extended landing flaps and few others additions. I had a few fitting problems which required many hours of filling and sanding, especially around the wing roots. I attempted to create a fabric wing effect with paint and weathering which I'm more or less happy with. I also needed to grind down the sides of the canopy to allow an open cockpit which I'd never attempted before - this came out quite nicely I think. I also tried a few new weathering techniques and feel like I'm getting better with oil paint weathering. Areas where I failed was a few ghost seams making appearances in a few places - also I mucked up on the decals with some visible silvering and carrier film. But all up, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. 

NaQtmvQ.jpg

wwbfdDT.jpg

hZ8OQCg.jpg

5S06h17.jpg

fihS1OX.jpg

UOEgBE2.jpg

9wUX8Ia.jpg

uch2tks.jpg

958K5Wk.jpg

LBXXVFR.jpg

jb9SAjO.jpg

OWpdCDx.jpg

F0xdxNJ.jpg

fWuphKj.jpg

XM6CoE5.jpg

qKTSTo0.jpg

s5ImD1a.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

John

• Like 55
  • Thanks 4

Another great job well done !!

I just saw the one you have also done with Eduard's Emil.
I agree with what you say about the oil paintings. You are getting a very nice level with them. I really like the result you get.

Andrés S.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wulfman said:

A great build, superb job on the weathering !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman

6 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Another great job well done !!

I just saw the one you have also done with Eduard's Emil.
I agree with what you say about the oil paintings. You are getting a very nice level with them. I really like the result you get.

Andrés S.

Thanks Andrés - weathering with oils has become my favorite part of the build - it's very relaxing and great fun.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Thanks Andrés - weathering with oils has become my favorite part of the build - it's very relaxing and great fun.

Hi John.

I also find the most fun part of the painting phase in the construction of a model. Especially when trying to give a used or aged look which gives the model realism. However, I usually use oil for little more than panelling and highlighting some detail, and I am more inclined to use acrylic products.

I have taken a look at all the models you have posted on the forum since 2018 and it seemed to me that since then you have undergone a huge change for the better, which is great.
I think I should rethink the matter and try to try using a little more oil because honestly they look superb. If they know how to use of course ...

Andrés S.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Ah, and just spotted this one which i think is even better than the Emil! The chipping and oil weathering here are incredibly effective. What's next?

Thanks Sam - I've started a Bandai X-wing - going for some simple easy construction after 2 Eduard kits - I love how Eduard models come out but getting there can be a challenge :)

14 hours ago, GP2705 said:

Great Lavochkin 🙂 Amazing JOB. 

Thanks mate

12 hours ago, woody37 said:

It might of fought, but you've won! Love the weathering, you've done a great job with those oils :)

Thanks Woody

7 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Hi John.

I also find the most fun part of the painting phase in the construction of a model. Especially when trying to give a used or aged look which gives the model realism. However, I usually use oil for little more than panelling and highlighting some detail, and I am more inclined to use acrylic products.

I have taken a look at all the models you have posted on the forum since 2018 and it seemed to me that since then you have undergone a huge change for the better, which is great.
I think I should rethink the matter and try to try using a little more oil because honestly they look superb. If they know how to use of course ...

Andrés S.

Thanks Andrés - I've done alot of modelling over those 2 years - I'd say my average is 2 hours a day so I'd say that's the main reason I've improved.  It took me quite a few attempts before I started to get nice results using oils - for me it was about finding the correct method that worked for me. There are hundreds of ways of working with oils so it's a matter of finding what works for you. My basic method is putting the oils down on a semi gloss coat initially. I put tiny amounts of paint in the places I want it, straight from the tube - I use a fairly  pointed bush for this - then blend the paint in with a dry blending brush - using the correct brush for the blending is very helpful  - once I got the correct brush, the technique really took off.  I use a soft curved blending brush. And I use a stippling motion and some brush strokes. I then do the same thing over a matt clear coat - on this surface, I thin the paint first with odorless thinners - then apply using the same technique - I use cotton buds to remove unwanted paint and for blending, This method is better when you want to cover larger areas. And for things like exhaust and smoke stains. When you've done a couple of layers in an area, I let it dry for a day, then put a more layers on top which creates nice depth. 

The best thing about this is that if you don't like what you've done, you can clean everything off with some thinner and cotton buds - even after a couple of days. Hope this helps - I think you would really enjoy this process so it's well worth a try :) It takes time to get the hang of it but it's worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Gazontipede said:

Nice ones John! 😎

Looks like you're really getting your teeth into 1/48th!

Are you looking doing a Blue Squadron X-Wing then?

Thanks mate - yes I’m enjoying 1/48 but still have a few 1/72 in the stash which will get cracked open at some stage. The x-wing will be blue squadron in honor of the best Star Wars movie since empire. Looking forward to it even though

i suspect there will be a lot of masking😎

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Thanks mate - yes I’m enjoying 1/48 but still have a few 1/72 in the stash which will get cracked open at some stage. The x-wing will be blue squadron in honor of the best Star Wars movie since empire. Looking forward to it even though

i suspect there will be a lot of masking😎

Awesome! I see we have the same taste in Star Wars movies too! 😎

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That is beautifully dirty.  I love the effect you achieved with the prop... how did you do that?  The staining just forward of the windshield and along the wing roots are so realistic.  Great job!

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 2:17 PM, opus999 said:

That is beautifully dirty.  I love the effect you achieved with the prop... how did you do that?  The staining just forward of the windshield and along the wing roots are so realistic.  Great job!

Thanks Opus - that's just thinned down oil paint applied with a brush - then used a dry brush and cotton buds to blend it and create the patterns - I used a gray colour which worked quite well. 

• Thanks 1

Well, you should not, really, call it an Eduard model.

You've been "fighting" with (about) 20 years old Gavia production plastic, repacked by Ed.

From, where I'm sitting, you've done a good job! 🙂

Who printed those decals 4 Ed, they look a bit thick?

Z

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:30 PM, zigster said:

Well, you should not, really, call it an Eduard model.

You've been "fighting" with (about) 20 years old Gavia production plastic, repacked by Ed.

From, where I'm sitting, you've done a good job! 🙂

Who printed those decals 4 Ed, they look a bit thick?

Z

Thanks Z - fully aware that this was a Gavia kit - their name was all over the sprues - might be wrong but think this was the first kit eduard released although it’s a rebox - the decals are by eduard - and they were pretty thick though they seemed ok until I started putting down washes 😖. If I had cut the carrier film from the edges like I should have, they probably would have been fine. You live and learn. 

13 hours ago, supersonic said:

That's a beautiful La-7, superb paint & weathering!

11 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

That paint and weathering is lovely 👏

Thanks guys 😎