Operation Knicker C-47

Concurrent with Operation Vittles (the Berlin Airlift) was the RAF's "Operation Knicker," or "Plane Fare," which helped immeasurably to keep the people of Western Berlin reassured of the West's commitment to them.  Unlike the USAF, the RAF was extremely strapped for resources from its worldwide imperial commitments.  Its war-weary C-47s soon were joined by Yorks, Hastings, Tudors, and a hodgepodge of civil aircraft under short-term contract.  Fortunately, Ernest Bevin, Britain's best foreign minister of the postwar period (in my opinion) had the strategic foresight to give this operation the high-level backing needed.  

The model is Airfix's superlative kit of the Dakota, and I started it at about the same time I began the C-54, but finished it much sooner.  It gave me almost no trouble at all, and I enjoyed it for its straightforward construction and beautiful detail.  Paints are a mix of Vallejo metallics, with a flat finish, to achieve the simple overall silver paint scheme the RAF was using then.  I mixed some white with the Vallejo black gloss undercoat to lighten it somewhat, and simply masked off the deicer boots before I applied the silver mix.  These were war-weary aircraft and had their share of lumps and bumps!  Mine is from 46 Squadron.

p?i=ae026588982c93864e676095f1695503

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
white space between photos
  • Like 38

Not totally sure  what you're on about. But I'll  drink to that. Knickers to anyone who thinks otherwise.🤣

But  I  do love that model. It's  brilliant. I do think  Airfix has the definite Dak.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Not totally sure  what you're on about. But I'll  drink to that. Knickers to anyone who thinks otherwise.🤣

But  I  do love that model. It's  brilliant. I do think  Airfix has the definite Dak.

Thanks!  Knicker was the UK's contribution to the 1948-49 airlift of supplies to Berlin after the Soviets blocked water and land access to the western zones of occupation in the city AND cut off the power supply.  Why did they do that?  Because the West initiated "currency reform" in Berlin, and began providing their respective zones of occupation with political certainty to integrate them with the rest of the world economy (and not the Soviet economy).  This was not to Stalin's liking.  

The US/UK/French first order of effort was to keep the Berlin garrison supplied, but the U.S. and UK both quickly understood that they also needed to keep Berliners employed, warm, and fed.  The Soviets were completely surprised by Western resolve with airlifting food for the people of Berlin.  They were even more surprised that the West would fly in all the materials needed to build a new power plant, plus all the oil, benzine, and coal.  Of the 2,325,809 tonnes of supplies airlifted over this period, coal and liquid fuel constituted over 1,700,000 tons.  Worth mentioning too that the West initiated a counter-blockade against the USSR and East Berlin, which throttled its economy.

France contributed logistically, but as its C-47 fleet was committed to Indochina, was able only to fly in some supplies for its own forces using French-built Ju-52 3Ms.

knicker, not knickers
  • Like 4

I don't  think there was an 's' involved. 🤣

But I suppose there was an undercover element to  the operation. 🙂

I really  like  the bare C47 though. Nothing to hide.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Very nice Dakota, love those post war schemes 

Thanks so much! I especially like the big roundels and wing codes.  The overall silver painted finish (with white aluminum control surfaces to represent a different sheen) was not too difficult to work with, and I found Vallejo's metal acrylics surprisingly forgiving.

11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

A nicely presented Dakota such as yours is always good to see

Thanks so much, Vinnie!  I wish I had better-quality photos, but these'll do for now.  I wanted to do a postwar bird, and this does the job.

• Like 1

A Sunderland next ??

The import of salt to Berlin wrecked the aircraft electrical systems, so Sunderlands were fitted with special underwing paniers [spellcheck wants me to type "pandas" ! The mind boggles ! ] in which the salt was carried.

The Sunderlands landed their cargos on Berlin's lakes, the names of which escapes me and I'm too lazy to go and look it up.......

Rog

Sorry, lovely Dak; the Airfix kit builds up a treat, must get more in the stash.

You can't have too many Dakotas !

Edited by roginoz
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, kapam said:

Looks fantastic!  Ticks all the boxes when it comes to C-47's in scale.

:goodjob:

When can we see your C-54 (the Revell kit?)?

Thanks so much for the compliments!  The C-47 is just such a beautiful machine in every respect, and the silver finish really shows its lines well.  Here's where you'll find the C-54 RFI: Last Vittles Mission C-54G 

4 hours ago, roginoz said:

A Sunderland next

A salt carrier!  We'll see!  That would be a doozy!  @tonyot has already done a great one.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roginoz said:

A Sunderland next ??

The import of salt to Berlin wrecked the aircraft electrical systems, so Sunderlands were fitted with special underwing paniers [spellcheck wants me to type "pandas" ! The mind boggles ! ] in which the salt was carried.

The Sunderlands landed their cargos on Berlin's lakes, the names of which escapes me and I'm too lazy to go and look it up.......

Rog

Sorry, lovely Dak; the Airfix kit builds up a treat, must get more in the stash.

You can't have too many Dakotas !

Wansee or Wannsee. I remember some  great photos of  Sunderlands on the lake. Makes a great  diorama.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2