Luftwaffe IDS 45+85 with Mehrzweckwaffe-1, Revell 1/48, now with 1:1 House project!

Thanks Col!

I managed a small step this weekend, but if it was forwards or backwards I don't know.

The primer stage was kicked off with a flurry of gluing down some of the remaining parts so one could have a chance to look over the seams.

One thing struck me as odd and that was the belly pylons that needed much force to conform with the fuselage belly.

There seems to be a lot more curve to it than what seems to be feasible for a straight pylon
50558592257_3135cc3e67_o.jpg
Gosh!

The effect is off course made a little worse with my MW-1 being bent as well so that needs to be amended.
50557727538_852c235c8a_o.jpg

Straight pylons they are not!

I wonder why?

By pure coincidence the extra girth is found around the wheel bays so a horrible thought dawned on me.

I didn't thin the plastic enough when installing the Aires wheel bays.

50254827582_dffced7ffe_o.jpg

It is paramount that the raised area the the plastic bays resides is completely leveled!

Something to keep in mind for a future Desert Babe.

For now, I'll just sand the pylons flatter and call it a day.

(and reset the MW-1 to be more level!)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

hmm those Aires parts strike back even after they are in! :D

you could slightly sand the pylons on their upper side to counteract the bananabelly....

need to check mine ..... 😨

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

hmm those Aires parts strike back even after they are in! :D

you could slightly sand the pylons on their upper side to counteract the bananabelly....

need to check mine ..... 😨

Sneaky little things , those Aires parts aren't they?

Yeah, sanding the upper side and make that slightly bananashaped would work aswell, except for the fact that this time the Tamya glue really worked wonders, so I cannot rip of the pylons anymore. If I do that, I'll probably wreck the entire under fuselage...

Here's hoping that you won't have any issues!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I seemed to hit a wall for the better part of November. Too bad really :(

I tried to pick it up recently to get some things done on it and was heading back to the cockpit to finish that up properly. This was previously skipped since I wanted to join the fuselage together.

What's left in the cockpit?

Well, the bang seat for once, and I got a very clear picture of how the Martin Baker goodness shall look:

50676520522_58117dabcc_o.jpg

The Aires set gives a rather nice resin seat, but with etched belts. Nothing wrong with that combination as such, but i can't really say that the etched fret looks promising.

Maybe the destructions can give some advice?

50676436571_7c86f82855_o.jpg

For the back harness there are two steps, and three pieces. The short PP3 is threaded onto PP2 and then PP4 is mated on top of that, once the buckle-thingy is bent. Ok, that looks reasonable.

Let's have a look at the next stage:
50675688583_9fe055e859_o.jpg

Oh dear. (stronger words used in real life)

Did I miss a step somewhere? 

I'm still at this stage:

50676520467_0f61a5a68f_o.jpg
This requires some pondering, for sure!

While pondering, a nice shiny box arrived home.

50682648151_e04af8d1b7_o.jpg

I'll just stick a few pieces together while I think over the belt assembly. No harm or delays to the Tonka can be foreseen due to me tinkering with a whiffy ground target, surely?

In other news, the building permit came through, so now the house project starts to pick up speed. It currently looks as the foundation will be laid down in early February, and if the time plan holds up, week 39 is the finished date! Woohoo!

• Like 4

Lucky you're building another house for the family so you have space in the first one for all the models.

I expect the basement model gallery will cover the whole house?

Colin

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, nothing has really happened on the Tonka front for quite a while 😳

However, the stash is now packed up as one many steps to moving house.

Speaking of that, we now have a ok to start from the good folks at Varbergs town planning office!

This means that the next three weeks will see some yellow machines transforming this lot

50893509501_16b6333294_o.jpg

To a more flat surface where the foundation can be built. Nice!

But I should really get back to the Tonka...

(and perhaps move this thread to the WIP section...)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 9:34 AM, Christer A said:

(and perhaps move this thread to the WIP section...)

I do hope it is getting WIP or VIP (very important plane/project) soon again!

wow, that was some earth movement happening there!

Would you look at that:
50939847797_1c14202041_o.jpg
50939847757_ba91764f7b_o.jpg

First and second round of the primer/sand/fill/scribe loop has been completed!

Still a few more blemishes to fix, and I REALLY need to finish all fixed cockpit parts  so I can close up the canopy...

But I decided to order a new set of seatbelts since I'm quite disappointed in what Aires supplied.

Eduard has just released a ASSTA 3.1 seat belt fret so I'll try to get hold of that one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In order to get to the painting stage I ripped off the tape over the cockpit hole to have a look down there.

Well, it seems that I had fit the major part, but left off the bang seats, instrument panels and a few other things.

Right, let's get to work!

I spent quite a few hours this weekend mulling over the instrument panels. Although lovely cast by Aires I though that the rear panel looked  bit odd, and not just the instruments themselves (as pilots IP)

It seems to me that the big displays have quite a large overhang, obscuring the stuff beneath.

A quick googling left me quite convinced that Aires have screwed up yet again. Have a look at a RAF example
10%20-%20Tornado%20Rear%20Cockpit.jpg
See how  the both display are quite  flush and doesn't block the radar joystick?
There is a slight overhang for sure but Aires interprets that to 4mm in 1/48 scale!
50966607892_ee9e836bd7_o.jpg
Yeah, that will be  a job to sort out....for someone else but me!

Well, with that little issue forgotten, I stuck them into the cockpit and took a few glory shots
50966499871_acbe611acd_o.jpg
50966499791_a63c1072fe_o.jpg
50966499756_943264717b_o.jpg
50966607737_c524948712_o.jpg
Time to mask up the canopy and see if there is something to  paint soon!

In other news, the weather has been very very cold for quite some time

50941751071_4ac525c6e9_o.jpg

50939849637_9b13302d09_o.jpg

Everything was quite frozen, but that didn't stop the  brave men from flattening the building site, and start to lay down  the bottom layer.

50939850112_e868956952_o.jpg

There sure was a lot of gravel!

Not so fun to work with that in -10ºC I'm sure.

But work they did, and they managed to roll out an enormous yoga-mat

50941853432_323a00b4f4_o.jpg

I wonder what that is for?

This week they'll start to actually construct something, which is the foundation.

Luckily everything has thawed  out, and spring is really getting closer by the minute.

Comments and critique more than welcome!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Tonka looks great, another kit I need to get...

Seems like you are building the new house in the northern, north-eastern part of town? ;)  I might have to check in with a beer or two when the COVID-doo-doo is over.. ;)

Thanks Tobbe!

You're guessing right, it's located in the north-eastern part, or it will be a part of the town in a few years when a couple of more blocks have been zoned, approved and built.

Current status of the house is 4 walls, all windows, no front door, exterior insulation in place but no roof...

See you for a beer and a rummage in the stash when it's done! 

• 1 month later...

Another 4 week of procrastrinations....

But I have finally installed the HUD, masked up the canopy and run the primer/fill/sand-loop more than a few times.

So there!

Today I also managed to lay down the first coat of paint. Not Mission Models, but Real Colors instead.

It performs like a charm with some Gunze self levelling thinner.

The smell is not so bad either, actually a lot less offensive than MrPaint.

51123696333_995a33ed9d_k.jpg

This now needs a little postshading to make it more visually appealing.

In other news, the house project is clearly not run by me!

By the end of February it looked like this:

50989901217_12d25837d9_4k.jpg

Two weeks later the foundation had been poured, and sufficiently hardened to start construction.

51089184279_c926f1029f_4k.jpg

Two weeks later still and the whole outside of the house was built!

51089920345_774b25e9ac_4k.jpg

This was no pre-fab elements that came on a truck and was lifted into place, no, this was built by hand on site!

Those guys were really quick!

Off course, the inside is completely bare...

51089653628_43f6f6896d_4k.jpg

However, now the tempo has fallen dramatically but the house is weather proof in all aspects, all scaffolds are gone, and soon they'll start on the interior.

The concrete slab needs 6 months to cure fully, and until then it's really not recommended to put the final floor in.

Oh well. This gives me more time to start another kit, finish a Tonka!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend as a 4 day bank holiday thanks to Ascension Thursday and some well spent vacation day.

What better way to spend it than with AK interactive paint masks and a Tonka?

This spatter stencil was bought at a whim some time ago so lets use it.
51181943710_a74a2b9f73_o.jpg

It could be used to lay down some spatter on top of a black base and that would work wonders, I think.

What I did was to do an initial coat of the correct paint (in this instance the RealColor FS34079 Dark green, for the first part of the Norm-83 camo)

Then I follow it up with a lightened version of this color , apply the mask and spatter away.

Lastly, a very thin coat of the proper shade is built up on top to give the spatter some chance to peak through.

When it work, it does give an interesting depth to the color.
After the first dark green, it was followed up with RealColors RAL 6003 Olivegrün and RAL 712 Basalt Grau.
51180168062_cf227632e5_o.jpg
Painting a bit, apply stencil, paint again and then allow sufficient time for the pain to cure sufficiently to withstand a new round of masking worked wonders with this paint.

I feel that Gunze and Tamiya takes a little longer to cure than what RC does.
Finally the entire Tonka was painted, and at that time it was all covered up in tape, to allow the airbrake bays and the tailfin, sweep surfaces and so on to receive the light gray.

Thos egray areas are not in RAL but FS36173 instead for which I had to resort to an old bottle of Xtracrylix.
51181071593_bc440bb153_o.jpg
Well, it still worked!
That was quite the chore let me tell you, but how does it all look underneath?
51181943590_9e017a9bf7_o.jpg

51181644859_7fc566f95d_o.jpg

51180853741_d59513216e_o.jpg

No overspray and just a  small small spot where the paint lifted. Almost too good to be true!

Time to do a clearcoat or five and continue to paint some metallic areas.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Thanks a lot! 

I haven't been able to focus on this model (nor any other it seems) for a few months. To much to do with the new house that still isn't ours yet. 5 more weeks until the handover!

During this time it has been painted Night, without the use of airbrush.

51405108599_3d9cade4bd_4k.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to make modelling den 2.0 during the autumn/early winter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just come across this Christer. Very nice Tornado, and I very much approve of the chosen scheme. I love the Tornado IDS, and I prefer the German schemes (Norm76 and Norm83, inc Marineflieger) most of all, although all Tornados looks so good!

A very nice house too, but are you sure RAL 7021 Schwarzgrau would not look better? 🤣

Terry

• Thanks 1

Thanks Terry!

I'd love to build a Marineflieger in Norm-87 with a pair or Kormorans under the belly. If the rumors about a Eduard ECR-boxing comes through, then there might be a chance of such a beast.

Could be very tempting!

We toyed with the idea of NATO black as well as RAL 7021 but in the end RAL 9005 won out 😉

• Haha 2