Luftwaffe IDS 45+85 with Mehrzweckwaffe-1, Revell 1/48, now with 1:1 House project!

Two great builds, both exciting. I’m dreading the swing wing portion on mine and I’m sure the laundry can be done in the Klk room and modelling in the laundry? We also built a home and the utility room was ear marked for modelling, but I lost out when we moved in, but got the office/study allocated to modelling instead. Good work on this 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, exdraken said:

And by the way you build a Tornado!

Looks nice your future house! Congrats to taking the decission!

But black walls? Really?

~150m2 seems quite reasonable as well

:thumbsup:

Thanks!

150m² is the total footprint, so the living area is 135m².

Heated floors in the entire house is kind of nice too, and the energy consumption is guaranteed to be 29kWh/m²/year so it will not cost a fortune to heat up either.

Yes, black walls! It looks kinda neat

3389e71538aa9281f7ff28b13031949e.jpg

12 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Two great builds, both exciting. I’m dreading the swing wing portion on mine and I’m sure the laundry can be done in the Klk room and modelling in the laundry? We also built a home and the utility room was ear marked for modelling, but I lost out when we moved in, but got the office/study allocated to modelling instead. Good work on this 

Thanks!

Those swing wings are a nuisance for sure, but I think to have deployed flaps and slats are even worse! They looks so flimsy.

I've had a similar cubicle in a previous house so the KLK (klädkammare, or walk in closet) will do just fine. On the other hand, the daughter might move out 2,5 years after the house is finished and then one bedroom could be converted to an office.

• Like 4

Thanks RJ!

A resin printer is probably where I'll end up in a few years time, but it helps to have a house to put it in!

Not much progress to report over the last week though. All pressure from everything with the house coupled with extreme workloads, re-organizations and lay-offs on top of that is quite stressful. I should do as @Marlin and take a few days off work to restore some semblance of sanity...

Anyhow, I followed the tip of cutting of the short shot intake on the fin, and replace it with resin.
50390690206_9f2fdfd930_o.jpg
This seems to work fine! Very easy to sand and blend nicely with the plastic. Just needs to carve up a larger hole for the intake.

Then I finally made a start on the cockpit! Since the rear firewall has some sort of black padding I figured I could black-base the whole lot.

FS36321 was translated to Tamiya XF-54 but either the black base or the color is off because I felt that it's way too dark compared to all pictures of the cockpit that I have seen.

Instead of just adding white until I'm satisfied, I switched to Gunze Medium Sea Grey instead. That was more like it!

Then I had a flash of inspiration. Let's paint a few panels in other shades of grey. That might look neat?

50390863852_9c4a06a8f9_o.jpg

It sort of does!

Off course, it's a mix of flat and gloss paints now, but that will be leveled with a gloss coat sooner or later.

One round of drybrushing was also initiated to see how it looks like:

50389997513_d65a63156b_o.jpg

Yeah, this might just work!

I wonder if I can cut out a few of those Revell decals and use them in this Aires 'pit?

It's worth a try!

• Like 4

Thanks Bosse & Jabba!

Not much progress in the cockpit lately, but my 3D-printed airbrakes came back.

The first print included a boneheaded mistake that is adjusted now, so this is the final result.

50398779847_e7007991b2_o.jpg

50398779792_7ec4c42f3f_o.jpg

Now comes the tricky part...cutting away at the kit part to fit this.

Oh well, we live and we learn!

• Like 2

nice work with this one...sort of wish my monster had the same sort of swivel mounts for the wings! Surely it would have been easier to do in /32nd!

As to your other project...I am sort of worried.....it's not very aerodynamic...and i can't think what sort of engines it'll need to take off!! But it should look very nice in a "splinter" scheme! :D

Everything on this kit would be easier in 1/32!

Regarding the other project, I think a dual mount of J79 might work. It worked on the double ugly so it should be possible here as well.

Splinter scheme is out, but Night is in. I also need to put a sharkmouth somewhere!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

As to your other project...I am sort of worried.....it's not very aerodynamic...and i can't think what sort of engines it'll need to take off!! But it should look very nice in a "splinter" scheme! :D

I recommend this book, it will sort of answer most of your doubts :D

https://aurus.website/2019/09/04/how-to-randall-munroe-daily-living-aids-for-the-nerd-soul/

• Haha 2

Well, I did manage to spend quite a lot of time with this model during the weekend, it helps when SWMBO is working most of the day light hours. Strangely enough I don't have much to show for it. At least the cockpit-tub is both ready to install.  When I saw that Bosse was using decals in his etch-filled cockpit I thought that maybe I can use the kit decals in the Aires-pit as well? It turns out that it sort of works, in some places. Together with a dark grey panel line was mixed from Tamiya Gray and Black PLW and a flat coat this was the end result:

50417839368_f4a8ebbe68_o.jpg

50418532981_2f9cb6867f_o.jpg

There is a pipe/hose coming out in the rear right corner of the rear cockpit but I haven't found any pictures showing this area in any detail , so if this pipe is in another color than the surroundings I'm in a bit of trouble.

I'm quite certain that its' impossible to see once everything is installed though!

The Aires exhaust cans were cleaned up and received a coat of Vallejo Burnt Iron for starters.
50418532906_c203a2a110_o.jpg
The details on these one are exquisite! Razorsharp details, with just a little hint of the 3D printing that was used for the masters.

I'm far from finished with them though. :)

Next saturday looks like it will be filled with modelling as well, so in preparation for that I started to see if the main landing gear could be detailed.

Then I got a nasty surprise:
50418700887_52b56248d9_o.jpg
Sink marks in tricky places and flash all over the place?

Well, this is a cheap model...

• Like 7

gee this does look nice! the cockpit looks to be a simpler beast to put together than mine!

I'm still not sure if the more complex way the fuselage goes together is any better or worse than the simpler way the 1/72 & 1/32 versions go together!

The AM exhausts are definitely the way to go!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Col and Rich!

I wouldn't call the cockpit simple to assemble given all thinning of the floor and roof of the nose wheel bay that needs to be done.

The complex breakdown do allow better definition of all panel lines but Revell lade most of them som thin and shallow that a light sanding will make them disappear for good.

Oh well.

I really must say that the AM exhausts are dead easy to work with, and is neither heavier or more cumbersome to install than the plastic pieces.

Tomorrow I'll head off to a friend for a full day of plastic fondling, glue spillage, bad food and worse music. It'll be a blast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's kick of this update with a report of the house. Even though the building permit is not yet approved (one should allow for up to 10 weeks for that to happen), some groundworks has been initiated:

50452731262_b32a56bd3c_o.jpg

50451859978_ec42936c68_o.jpg

These are support walls that is need to help support the ground towards the two future neighbors. Even though our plot is located on the corner the ground slopes a bit so these walls are needed in or der to secure everything, and also allows for a bit more level ground. Kind of neat to use raw rock like this (which comes from just 100m meters away were the needed to blast some other sites a bit more level) instead of concrete walls!

Some time was also spent searching for the right stove, but in the end we found this one

Lisboa_R.jpg

It's delivered unpainted, and I think it looks a lot better in raw concrete than painted white like this.

But back to the Tonka.

I thought that I could to swift progress over the Saturday, since the most part of the day was designated modelling time.

Well, I did spend a lot of time, but the progress wasn't swift...

50452548861_f8f8d46059_o.jpg

I decided to actually glue together the entire intake before joining the top piece to the fuselage. That took a long time, but I was awarded with something that was an acceptable fit.
Still, before the top piece can join the fuselage the wings must be there.

50451841563_374dfcbd7a_o.jpg
45º sweep roughly, and if anyone says that it looks like 44º , I'm more of a "cut thrice, forget whatever you measured" type...

Then I started to hunt gaps. There are quite a few of them, but to actually find them one needs to add more plastic!
50452712727_cc5e3af059_o.jpg
With the sort-of-LERX-but-not-at-all (technical term) in place one finds gaps on the fuselage sides towards the wings but also towards the main wheel bay. Fun!

This needs to be glued in sequence since one must push in different directions.
50452548286_d5019d9ec1_o.jpg
Also note the blob of glue which caused the sweeping mechanism to lock up :think:

Next, wing seals!
50451840893_1efd31827b_o.jpg
These are resin pieces bought from the Tornado SIG on Facebook. Lovely pieces that has just the right look, and a nice change from the very plain looking Revell parts.
Some carving was needed to get them to fit with 45º wing sweep instead of 25º, that was to be expected.

The also had a little curve so care was needed to get them to align properly.

But after all this, it's possible to close the lid finally!

Naturally, the intakes are not a Tamiya drop fit even after all my carving, but brute force solves everything.

50452711972_f06fd67d24_o.jpg

Behold!
50451840548_b453cdec6b_o.jpg

An almost completed fuselage...
Now one needs to tripplecheck, sand and fill some seams before joining the nose.

I also started to slice up the air brake bays:

50452547706_85e36be22e_o.jpg

Not the best of fit, but hey, this looks like proper modelling now, doesn't it?

50452711877_d9c7ea5026_o.jpg
50452547561_5945c80c34_o.jpg

This just needs some slight adjustment, a smear of filler and then it's time to break out the pipe works.

I hope this will be fun 😎

• Like 9

wow!

great progress, especially quick one on your living project!

I DO like your stone wall support! what kind of rock is that? it is quite dark for what we have here in Austria! explains your love for a black house though :D

great progress on your Tornado seems as well :)

looking forward to seeing the airbrake detail!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Werner!

The rock is called Charnockit, and this city actually had big quarries for them back in the day

250px-Charnockit.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charnockite

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charnockit

It's actually this province's stone  as well (all Swedish provinces has their own, in many different categories, like animals, fish, flower, stone, clothes etc)

Today I'm working from home with a sick kid....let's just hope I can manage to sneak in some plastic work as well 😎

Leaving the bedrock discussions for a while and focusing on this little Tonka...

I've managed to do something during the week! It helps to work from home once in a while...

The front parts of the air intakes were painted Tamiya XF-77, and then I tried to wrestle that cockpit compartment into place.
50493530657_542437407a_o.jpg
This was not so easy in the end! I had glued and filled the intakes very solidly into the fuselage so I had to resort to quite a bit of force to get it in. Luckily I go to gym twice a week so the that the plastic would lose was inevitable!

The question was if it just deformed a bit or if it broke, but luckily nothing of that sort happened!

But to use BOTH resin cockpit and resin NWW at the same time is not something I'd recommend. 

How does it look from below then?
50492671073_0bf8c496fa_o.jpg
Oh dear.

But wait!

Brute force and hot clamping action might solve this!

Even though the cockpit floor is leaf thin as is the NWW roof it's still a bit too much, so when everything is closed up the entire nose droops just a tad.

What a bummer.

So, at the cost of a slight Su-27-ified nose, I avoided a step between fuselage and the cockpit sides.

Onwards, to the Friday and weekend!

• Like 2

Eeeeekkkk!!!  Oh dear there is some serious fighting going on here!

Might it be the cockpit sills that are causing the issue with the cockpit not sitting high enough? Being an Aires cockpit their instructions or lack there of do seem often to be quite...ok, bl##dy vague as to what needs to be removed to get them to fit! I have done the wafer thin floor and NWW bit only to find there was some work/bits to be removed from the sills then it all fit perfectly....except that there was now a big gap between floor and NWW top!!!!  :wall:

On 17/10/2020 at 00:17, trickyrich said:

Eeeeekkkk!!!  Oh dear there is some serious fighting going on here!

Might it be the cockpit sills that are causing the issue with the cockpit not sitting high enough? Being an Aires cockpit their instructions or lack there of do seem often to be quite...ok, bl##dy vague as to what needs to be removed to get them to fit! I have done the wafer thin floor and NWW bit only to find there was some work/bits to be removed from the sills then it all fit perfectly....except that there was now a big gap between floor and NWW top!!!!  :wall:

I thought that the rear of the cockpit wasn't high enough so I sanded a bit more on the plastic there but it seems to have helped little.

Fitting Aires stuff sure is fun, isn't it?

On 19/10/2020 at 08:22, Jabba said:

Nice work in getting the wings in the correctish position. The rest appears to be putting up a bit of a fight, which I know you will overcome.

Thanks!

Speaking of overcome, this is after gluing and clamping everything together

50518801318_e5599c6f1a_o.jpg

50519519546_8d418d995f_o.jpg

Some gaps at the rear but only vertically (mostly) so I'm happy with this. Well, there isn't anything to do about but to use filler now in either case :think:

Just to be sure, I added some nose weight as well

50518801373_ef1cef55d9_o.jpg

I don't think it's needed, unless the fin is that heavy!

Oh well, carry on then. Nose was fitted and some filler added.

50519519521_2f0df0db88_o.jpg

50519696522_5494fe7240_o.jpg

Time to focus on the rear end!

• Like 6

Thanks!

I added some plumbing to the airbrake bays, and decided to call it a day.
50529590852_d208619a97_o.jpg

The remaining few parts were soo added, including this gigantic fin. But it really takes shape now!

50529432031_3ca48beec4_o.jpg

The stabilators are just dry fit for now, as is the engine rear sections. It feels almost surreal to be able to remove end reinstall the Aires cans without major work!
50529432011_e6a3b9a26a_o.jpg
Right. Time to go nuts with fillers and seams.

• Like 5