Luftwaffe IDS 45+85 with Mehrzweckwaffe-1, Revell 1/48, now with 1:1 House project!

This little GB is guilty of a lot of things.

Initially I had plans of joining up with just this

50282651482_bb20890fc7_o.jpg

with some decals from this set

P4230019.JPG

since I wasn't that much "into" Tornados but then Eduard released their Desert Babe boxing which _I just had to have.

So then the plan changed....

But after a lot of chat with @Aigoreabout what kind of AM stuff to add to that one something strange happened.

The German Tornado came back on track, since who cannot like a green mean machine?

Yes, the Norm-83 wraparound colors does really scream Cold War doesn't it?

But a mean looking machine must also have mean looking weapons.

Enter the MW-1 dispenser pod.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MW-1

Hundreds, even thousands of bomblets and mines to be dropped on top of Warzaw Pact troops, armour, runways, ships and other military targets.

Naturally, there was no MW-1 available (let's not mention the Hobbyboss version) so I had no choice but to make my own.

See here how that went

Since the little project really kicked my brain into Luft-88 mode (or what do you call Cold War in West Germany nowadays) there was no turning back.

This needs to be built, it needs to have a MW-1 under the belly and it must be loaded over the cockpit sills with resin and other stuff.

So, a hopefully @trickyrich approved amount of candy is here. First the big parts:

50140303661_99b72fdb78_o.jpg

And then some of the smaller stuff:

50140539532_8e8781aed1_o.jpg

I also have a sets of those fabled wing seals from Shaun of the Tornado SIG coming, and I might still need to get a Brassin BOZ-pod and some HaHen-walkway decals, but other than that I think I've got everything that I need.

Let's get this show started!

• Like 9

Oh wow!

You are up to something here! 

:thumbsup:

Do I need to change plan now? :devil:

Because my resin assortment is mimimalistic when compared to yours....

Which Swuadron is 45+85?

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Oh wow!

You are up to something here! 

:thumbsup:

Do I need to change plan now? :devil:

Because my resin assortment is mimimalistic when compared to yours....

Which Swuadron is 45+85?

This is probably not possible to finish within the alloted time unless another Covid short term lay-off happens, but we'll see.

No need to change your plan!

More Norm-83 to the People. This is the B variant of that Scheme.

The decals in the Mark 1 set is for 45+85 when it was used by AG 51 as a recon bird in the eraly 2000:s. At that date I think it should be a modernized cockpit (ASSTA), but I'll try to backdate it to late 80s instead.

I'm just hoping that they'd were tasked to use a MW-1 att that time...

• Like 1

Wow thats a serious amount of resin. The undercarriage on the Revell kit is stronger than the Italeri version but you might be challenging it!

Good luck and looking forward to the final pictures.

Colin W

The main wheel bays were painted with FS 36622 by Gunze after I read somewhere over that the Tornado SIG that this is the color of the bays and normal access areas and not white.

Some old red decal stripe was also added, just to spice it up a bit.

50313192742_7d16664480_o.jpg

Then one needs to get this lump of resin into the fuelage. First one needs to cut off all supports and struts that Revell provides.

50254827582_dffced7ffe_o.jpg

Then, the air intake/wing box stiffener/major construction element needs to be attacked. It has four bulkheads, two for each side of the wheel bay and one in front and one at the rear.

The rear bay wall was deleted and I decided to thin down the front one, just to help with guiding the resin part.

50254827622_90ce33161d_o.jpg

Aires wheel bay is flat, but it must also use the grooves as locators, but with a reasonable amount of force it would be possible to install it.

50282491491_77214d0419_o.jpg

50282651562_6ff8a88e6a_o.jpg

At least the dry runs were promising, and no gaps were present so I decided to press on, and CA-glues the bays to the bottom part.

Then I though about the side walls. There could be a quite tricky join from the back stretching rearwards and I didn't want to add huge amounts of filler there to cover it so they were installed to, almost without gaps!

50312349908_098555b818_o.jpg

If I had been more careful in sanding away the injector marks, then it would have been almost a Tamiya fit!

Let's hope the primer helps a bit here!

After all this I finally attached the intakes with some brutish clamping action.

50312349853_fe2d03a749_o.jpg

50313016941_f4603e3510_o.jpg

The rear bulkhead isn't glued in yet. It seems that it would be prudent to do that after the top lid comes into place, since there are slight differences in width there.

So far so good!

Now I just hope that the resin wing seals arrives so I can start having fun with the wing.

• Like 6

Thanks Jabba.

I'm thinking of leaving the air brakes open, just because I'll close the wings. Some rivets and slight details were added and then I hit it with some primer.

50313016891_430bd7f68c_o.jpg

It is however very clear that one also needs to do more, like adding those holes in the little trench and redo all pipes and wires.

But that's the fun part, right?

Here's a picture for reference:

https://b-domke.de/AviationImages/Tornado/2994.html

• Like 2

Here's yet another episode in "How to not do it"

I was going to prepare the Aires cockpit tub for placing it into the fuselage. On the outside of the tub there were a helpful scribed line that gave a nice stepped profile so I followed that one:

50281811933_d5e6e64ea2_o.jpg

To this part the front cockpit floor is then added which in this set actually is a resin copy of the Revell kit part!

50282491661_4168d29953_o.jpg

Ok, so joining this to the bottom och the resin tub and then check how it looks towards the Aires resin nose gear well. But wait!

50281811788_32e47f290b_o.jpg

There are gaps in the cockpit sidewalls!?!??

But I did cut no deeper than the scribed line?

It turns out that there was another line ON THE INSIDE OF THE TUB that I should've followed.

Thanks for that Aires!

Oh well, I'll fill the gaps with some plastic strips then.

I still don't have a clue how the fit towards the bay is...

• Like 2

Between you & @exdraken, I'm not sure whether to curse or thank you guys.  :hmmm:

I've now got some decals & MW-1 dispensers en-route for future projects.  So guess we'll have to go with my brain/heart thank you, whilst my wallet curses you.  :D

Looking forward to the progress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/09/2020 at 07:13, Marlin said:

Oh bummer. :wall:

But thanks for the headsup on this Christer.

Hopefully you can fix this. 

/Bosse 

Thanks Bosse!

The fix is mended, filled and sanded, but how it will look after a coat of primer is a different topic!

On 10/09/2020 at 08:11, Jabba said:

How wonderful on Aires to put the line that you are meant to follow on the inside of the part when you cut on the outside. Hope that all goes well on the fix that you intend to do.

That's not the only sneaky thing that Aires pulled with this cockpit!

As @exdraken pointed out they've mixed up the early and ASSTA 2 cockpits too! 

The etched front panels for the early set contains two square MFD:s  where the original layout only had some round CRT or similar.

I wonder if one would succeed in trying to buy the etched fret and film from the ASSTA 2 set separately?

On 11/09/2020 at 16:59, helios16v said:

Between you & @exdraken, I'm not sure whether to curse or thank you guys.  :hmmm:

I've now got some decals & MW-1 dispensers en-route for future projects.  So guess we'll have to go with my brain/heart thank you, whilst my wallet curses you.  :D

Looking forward to the progress.

Well, one just aims to please 😇

I didn't take the time to empty the camera but I still hove some photos that I haven't shown yet.
The small guide vanes in the bleed air slit from the air intakes were added like this
50313192547_57260b5a79_o.jpg

50313192682_926d95d4a5_o.jpg

Hardly possible to see in naked plastic, even worse once I paint it in RAL 7012 which the Norm 83 painted machines use.

Form RAL 7012 I use Tamiya XF-77 which might feel a but too dark but I hope it will turn out ok.

The mighty fin itself was also handled:
50313017096_b94ef82440_o.jpg
I'll aim for not attaching the rudder for a while, since it could save some masking for later paintjobs.
50313192617_65d92b871d_o.jpg
The front and rear Radar warning antennas left some gaps, but this could be easily dealt with PPP and a wet cotton bud.

Too bad that the air intake at the rot was damaged though:
50312349678_ace02ee4e4_o.jpg

In itself if should not pose to big of a problem, as long as I keep the opening the correct shade and don't knock off the antenna!

• Like 5

It appears that one has to show off the weapon load, and who am I to argue?

I plan to use the normal BOZ-pod (made by SAAB actually, that was new to me!) and the standard tanks, with a pair of sidewinders and a Cerberus III ECM-pod that Luftwaffe uses. 

The centerpiece will be the rather big lump of MW-1 dispenser pod.
50342024758_46c7a89b3f_o.jpg
Fun fact: If Bosse (or @Marlin) gets around to it to his second kit, he'll use the first 3D printed MW-1 that I made. My MW-1 dispenser will be the first that Aerocraft made after I handed over the project to them, and @exdraken us using the Aerocraft production MW-1.

On the other hand, those Sidewinders looks nothing at all like AIM-9L/M so those will be replace with Eduard Braassin examples, as will the BOZ-pod.

Thos tanks though. Ouch!

They have raised panellines which is of no particular problem as such, but the lines are of varying heights between left and right parts, and almost disappears over the joint line!

And this is before I have sanded them. :wall:

The Cerberus pod looks fine though!

I also managed to snag a couple of resin wing seals from the Tornado SIG
50342024663_ff8c209fc5_o.jpg
Nice!

I probably need to adapt them a bit since I'll go for a different wing sweep but that'll come later on.

Next topic is the airbrakes:
50342703101_360cf1b1e1_o.jpg
I have a cunning plan!

• Like 6

Those wings were a complicated mess to get in place!
50342024638_4920034352_o.jpg

Revell wants you to have the option of not only swinging wings ( 😇 ) but also to have the pylons move at the same time.

This is done with a long flimsy rod and some tricky studs that are to be located correctly.
The destructions also calls for you to do this while the bottom wing is hanging on the pivot. This is very delicate and the least amount of wobble immediately makes the studs pop out. While holding all this in place, you're to attach the top piece with your other hand and then glue it together somehow. I guess one should hold the TETC bottle with a foot, and then apply glue holding a brush between your teeth?

Crazy stuff!

Next time I'll plonk it down on the cutting mat instead and glue it the normal way, just making sure that the steering rod and studs are floating correctly.

In the end I was able to glue it together, and everything swings as it should! I just had to test it though, and the locking T was installed to make sure that all things are at the correct position.
50342865222_23796a17c9_o.jpg
So that means that one can swing the wings!
50342703241_86bc156b7a_o.jpg
The cutting mat is a 30º which the leading edge is following precisely. Not really the wanted 25º!

Luftwaffe parks them at 45º though in order to fit into their HAS, so I don't have to bother about it though !
50342865152_15f3424c4e_o.jpg

Then I tried to put the lid on, and it seems that the alternate building sequence delivers. 
50342703316_9d1933530b_o.jpg
Dry fit is very promising at least.
Quickly i pulled everything apart again to finish off the wings.
50342865107_6ce0fa9303_o.jpg
At 45º sweep the flaps can't be down, and it looks kind of strange to have deployed the slats and spoliers in that case, so with a heavy heart I'll close it all up.

All those nice details, and I won't use them. Such a shame.
Whenever I do my Eduard Desert babe I'll leave everything hanging though!

Also, when finishing of the flaps:

50342865047_5ef1c93b94_o.jpg

Cut off the little rod between the panels, and sand off the bottom row of steering pins, otherwise it won't fit in the wing...

• Like 7

Nice and complicated... 

Revell has its top dificulty level at 5... this one would be 5++, or simply 10 :)

regarding the wing angle, I thing it is measured mid wing, at a spare, not on the leading edge...

This is very much the opposite of Tamiya F-14:s that's for sure!

According to Wikipedia, the wing sweep angle is measured as a line that goes through 25% of the wing chord of the normal part of the wing, so all LERX and similar stuff can be ignored.

If I go all scientific I can off course mark up this line, and use that as my guide when securing the wing :)

• Haha 1

Wow those wings and their operating system seem to be more complicated than they should be and to be honest having looked at the instructions it is an area I am not looking forward to. I know that you are placing yours at a certain degree of sweep, but most people will either have them fully our or fully in. You are progressing very well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advance warning of the wing mechanism. Something to look forward to but worthwhile to know to follow the instructions. I like the guide vanes in the intakes as well.

Very neat.

Colin

Thanks guys!

The wing seal really stops all wing movement so if you choose the 25 degree version you cannot sweep back any more.

I can't really figure out how Revell could've done differently to allow for a synchronized wing/pylon movement though, but it should lead to all pylons being properly aligned automatically regardless of sweep angle.

• Like 1

there's some lovely work going on here...I almost wish I had one of these 1/48th beasts.

Oh dear guys....Aires Cockpits surely we all know by now they're going to cause heartache!!! :angry:  

Woe be the modeler that think fitting Aires resin cockpits/wheel wells will be a simple and painless task! 😊

• Thanks 1

Wing-sweep and pylon angle alignment:

Academy also does it on the F-111....looks more sturdy, bit is also not durable...

Do NOT move it often, or it will break...

The good thing about the design is that you can have slats/flaps deployed, any wing position, and a swing funtion :)

of course not all at the same time, and at a cost...

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I'm having a hard time to actually get some free time to work on the Lizard-Tonka, but it's not so strange when considering this:

50364835497_d1794870b7_o.jpg

Yeah, that's a scale house drawing...

The Wife and I decided to finally get this ball rolling after toying with the idea for the last 9 years or so. The economic situation has not made it possible before, but during the summer an opportunity arose and the need was strong enough to persuade the wallet that this is what should do.

So we have written a contract for a small piece of land, located around 2km away from present apartment which has some impact on commute time (it goes up) but the kids can stay in the same school at least.

Currently everything is just in the planning stages, but even so there are huge amounts of decisions to make!

We're using a house supplier that builds wooden houses, but are able fully customize everything if need be.

The basic model looks like this

Solviken-T2-Hemsidan.jpg

https://www.varbergshus.se/vara-hus/bosmart/solviken-traditionell

But this will not be the case for us :)

It'll be mirrored, the roof will be red tiles (a requirement from the planning office in the city) the walls will be black (NATO black or Night, still not decided) with a green door and no mullions in front of the windows.

There will also be a shed that's supposed to be extended to a car-port later on, but I will not be located outside of the house for all my modelling needs.

Instead, I'm allowed to use a walk-in closet marked KLK on this drawing:

50363975798_2ef412cb10_o.jpg

Very brief glossary:

Kök = Kitchen

Klädvård = laundry

Bad = main bathroom

WC/D = Small bathroom, this will have black/white checkered floor with green tiles!

Sovrum = bedroom

Allrum = general room, but this will be used as the TV-room

Vardagsrum = living room

When all of this can be done?

No exact dates have been communicated yet, but a reasonable guess is to have the foundation poured sometime in late February and the house will be completed early autumn 2021.

This Thursday the goal is to lock down basically all details in the kitchen, bathrooms, doors, windows, handles and so on. Everything except for the floor and wallpaper which we will do ourselves.

Whew! This takes a lot of energy...

On the Tonka front, I added some greeblies to the airbrake bays and sent it away to my buddy with the printer

50362633243_99a387b586_o.png

If it looks good and is possible to install with some effort, I'll make a mirror of it for the other side. I'm quite sure that someone will show the they look very different and a mirror is completely the wrong way to go 😎

I also tested if I can assemble the nose into the rear fuselage without steps or gaps.

50363973918_7897e00613_o.jpg

50364833422_0f3d4baac1_o.jpg

Seems to work all right with most resin in place. Next step will be to fine tune everything to ensure a snug fit.

I see a lot of Dremel-action in the near future.

• Like 10