1/48 Revell Stearman PT-17 Kaydet - A Newbie Build

Hi everyone,

I've got up the courage to post my first build in a few decades, and have decided on putting together a 1/48 Revell Stearman PT-17 Kaydet. I confess my main interest is in maritime models and before I watched a few YouTube builds of this kit I'd never heard of the plane. However, from what I've read it's an interesting aircraft and a relatively easy build despite the Level 4 billing Revell give it. Hopefully I'll gain a few skills before moving on to my first ship.

I'll be building the kit 'OOB' to make life as easy as possible for myself, with the exception of trying my hand at some basic rigging (not sure that's the correct term for a bi-plane but there we are!)

Here are some photos of the kit, along with my first WIP photograph.

IMG_0243 IMG_0245

IMG_0246

IMG_0244

IMG_0247

IMG_0248

IMG_0249

What I'm finding challenging is not so much assembling the parts, but doing so in the correct order for subsequent painting. However, I'm trying to take things one step at a time since my modelling time is limited and I won't be making models in vast quantities. It's therefore worthwhile taking my time and doing things properly.

I'm sure they'll be many mistakes along the way, but one of the reasons for posting my progress here is the opportunity for feedback from forum members, and the chance to tap into the Britmodeller 'hive mind' if I have any queries along the way.

I'm already thinking I need to take photos with better lighting by the way!

• Like 5

Welcome back to modelling. I think most of the modellers here are in there second bout of modelling. The Steraman’s probably a fairly difficult first build. When I restarted modelling it was with an Airfix king tiger followed by a  Mitsubishi zero. To a certain extent it was like riding a bike and it all came back to me. But since then I’ve started scratchbuiding and have gained many new skills.

Rigging’s a whole subject in itself. I’ve tried many methods. My current favourite is to use monofilament fishing line (.25mm for 1/48), super glued into a blind hole one end, pulled  through a through hole the other end superglued then trimmed and filled ( if that makes sense) There are many method.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Looking forward to seeing your build,yes it takes time to sort out the proper sequence,requires thinking ahead.It will come around.Been wanting to get one of these kits since I saw one close up at an airshow last year

20190601-132059.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome back Tojo...I think you'll enjoy the Kaydet.  If you need any advice on rigging there are a plethora of sources here, including yours truly.  

Someone here just finished one of these last spring.  If you search for it, you'll find it.  Some excellent tips on this particular kit.

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Welcome back Tojo...I think you'll enjoy the Kaydet.  If you need any advice on rigging there are a plethora of sources here, including yours truly.  

Someone here just finished one of these last spring.  If you search for it, you'll find it.  Some excellent tips on this particular kit.

Cheers!

Thanks,but wrong guy see the OP up top 😉

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, PlayUpPompey said:

I'm sure they'll be many mistakes along the way, but one of the reasons for posting my progress here is the opportunity for feedback from forum members, and the chance to tap into the Britmodeller 'hive mind' if I have any queries along the way.

And I just did one...Welcome back to the fold PUP...

I think you'll enjoy the Kaydet.  If you need any advice on rigging there are a plethora of sources here, including yours truly.  

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

Thanks,but wrong guy

Hahaha!  Thanks...

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

. I think most of the modellers here are in there second bout of modelling 

I'm not, I never really quit since '93... just took me a really long time to learn some skills... 

5 hours ago, PlayUpPompey said:

before I watched a few YouTube builds of this kit I'd never heard of the plane

I'm sure they'll be many mistakes along the way,

The fate of the training aircraft... matter of fact, I don't now squat about german trainers of the time, just Texan/Harvard, TigerMoth, and the Stearman plane, which I had the pleasure of taking a little flight in a few years ago😍. It's the great thing, you build a model and while building you learn about the original. 

Only real trouble should be the rigging, the kit is really not too bad IIRC. Remember, it's supposed to be fun😉 Anyways, welcome back! 

• Like 2

Nice! I recently built one in 1/72. I rigged it with bits of metal guitar string glued in place with CA. The advantage of that is that it is rigid so no worries about getting it taut (as long as you measure carefully). It also comes in various gauges so you can pick what you think is right for your scale. Good luck with your build!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome back to modelling,  this is a nice kit and the fit is great.  I have the spatted wheeled and cowled engine version as a display aircraft and all is good apart from the decals which are a bit non forgiving but will be okay with your version . The upper wing sits perfectly on the centre struts and the outer wing struts should pop into place fingers crossed. 

Good luck with your build and remember to enjoy. 

Chris

• Like 1