1:72 Airfix Vampire T.11 RAF Leuchars Station Flight 1959

Finished this a few weeks ago, but only just got round to taking some decent pictures - not helped by the appalling 'summer' weather we've had of late in the UK.  I won the kit at a raffle so splashed some cash on Xtradecal X72-172 and a set of Pavla resin Martin Baker seats.  My first foray into the world of resin.  Presumably when Pavla say "designed for the Airfix kit" what they really meant was "will go in the Airfix kit if you remove enough of the original cockpit".  I had to really butcher the interior of the cockpit to get the seats to fix, but hopefully that's hard to see from the outside 🙂 

WIP is here if anyone's interested: 

There are so many interesting schemes on the Xtradecal sheet I was spoiled for choice, but eventually settled for XE888/74 of RAF Leuchars Station Flight in 1959.  As a Leuchars spotter (although a long time after 1959!) it seemed obvious.  Here she is in all her glory wearing the fighter bars of 43 and 151 squadrons, both based at Leuchars at the time. 

IMG_0061

IMG_0060

IMG_0055

IMG_0052

IMG_0051

IMG_0050

Thanks for looking, and thanks for everyone who commented on the WIP offering advice and encouragement along the way.  Bench is now clear for my Tornado GR.1 🙂

Al.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Very nice build, I love the silver with yellow bands trainer colour scheme !

Wulfman

Thanks. I like the scheme too, and it's a darned sight easier to do than dayglo orange!

Al