CMP 15cwt ***FINISHED***

Foxbat

As I'm going down the Scottish option route for my main build I thought I should throw a second something out there to fill the gaps whilst paint is drying &c. I got this box a while back as I'm building a small potential wargames force representing the Olistan Defence Forces. Olistan is a tiny non-aligned state somewhere on the northern border of India. It was never part of the empire but retains strong and friendly links to both Britain and India with it's token armed forces shadowing Indian organisation and using a similar mix of British and Soviet equipment. This truck is part of the transport trroop of HQ company along with a pair of Saracens and a Saladin.  The whole concept is basically an excuse to paint a rag tag of interesting kits in desert colours inbetween proper builds :D 

Box shot for now. Sprue and decals when I get back from shopping.

spacer.png

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 3

Shopping done, tea cooking so time for a couple of baseline pics and then back to some serious modelling.

Sprue shot - there's only one as this is a simplified kit designed for wargaming.

spacer.png

Decals. Got the set in both 1/72 and 1/100 because the bridging signs and arm of service in the smaller scale fit some of the kits better. Bet you didn't know that the Khan of Olistan's dad served with the Canadians in WW2 so he adopted but inverted his old divisional badge for his own forces with the new vesion being known as the Golden Palm. 

spacer.png

When this one is done it will join the rest of the company which currently look like this. The armour have still to receive their markings.

spacer.png

And just for @JeroenS this is what tea looks like - Peruvian prawns with rice and a surprisnigly nice zero alcohol wheat beer

spacer.png

Right, back to the bench. There's modelling afoot :)

Andy

• Like 4

First job is some basic paint. The inside of the cab needs doing before I can stick anything together, and since it's the same colour as the outside it makes sense just to slap a coat of paint on everything. I also painted the chassis semi-gloss black as a lot of it will remain visible but hard to reach later.

I used Buff even though the final colour will be sand as I've discovered from experience my favoured inks work as a glaze as well as running into the shadows to bring out the detail, so they will darken the base coat down to the colour I actually want as I work.

Here's where we stand tonight after about an hour's work with a small brush. I really should have got some bigger ones when I was out today. Never mind.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Note that I haven't painted the inside faces of the load bed because you can't see them with the tilt on. Another lesson learned from the previous build :)

Andy

• Like 3

Late start, I was up half the night so went back to bed at 7am. Here now though and making progress.

spacer.png

First job is to dirty up all that lovely fresh paint. I went heavy on the insides as you won't be able to see much of it through the tiny (unglazed) windows. 

spacer.png

Bit lighter on the outside, and almost nothing on the roof which will be both sunbaked and out of the dustclouds. Quite heavy on the wheels though - doesn't matter what the terrain or the weather, wheels always end up dirtier than anything else.

spacer.png

It all looks quite stark there, but as the brown is mostly water it should lighten upand self modulate as it dries. That's my hypothesis and I'm sticking to it :D 

I carefully blended a couple of pale shades (the same ones used for the Tyranid) so the top of the tilt was very pale and the sides darkened towards the bottom, then added a VERY thinned coat of light brown which I hope hasn't obliterated all my good work. Time will tell. When it's dry it will all get another wash, but this time in a darker brown ink than the bodywork to reflect the different base tone.

spacer.png

Got to go and do family things now, so next update will be around tea time. Mmmm, tea :cheers: (I know, but you do tea your way and I'll enjoy myself :D )

Andy

• Like 2

Just a little update, but then it's justa  little model.

Tilt is done. I've also added thfree sides to the cab. I need to insert a couple of Sons Of the Desert before I can complete close it up as the drive has the steering wheel moulded to his arms and it would look silly if I didn't include the rest of him.

spacer.png

I've also blacked in the radiator grill with some ink that wasn't sepia :o Hopefully as work progresses tomorrow, there will be a pic where you can actually see it. The Chevrolet badge stands out really well, it makes the model really.

Andy

• Like 2

Monday morning, 10am (ish). Watch is a Mirage III named after the aircraft whuch is a little odd as it's not a tradtional pilot's watch. Coffee has no aeronautical connections as far as I know.

spacer.png

Privates L'orrill and Hardeep have been retrived from the char van and smartened up ready to resume driving duties. Both wear the traditional full beard. I know thy're a bit rough, but honestly they're next to invisible once installed so they'll do.

spacer.png

See? The only details that stand out now are the Chevy badge and the steering wheel. Headlights have been painted in too.

spacer.png

A quick and dirty pic of the load bed showing that it's there and the inside is still grey. I'm not sure it's important but it fills a space.

spacer.png 

Tilt on and front bumper added. There's a palpable sense of excitement round the workbench as construction nears completion.

spacer.png

Fifty two minutes elapsed, wheels on and that's construction done. PSC label three of the wheels a rears and two as fronts but I honestly can't see any difference.  It'll be a different story when they come off at the first bend and the insurance claim goes in :hmmm:

spacer.png

Tea break to add this update, then it's touch ups, decals, matt varnish and final weathering. In the meantime here's a first photo of the transport troop all together.

spacer.png

Andy

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I like the look of this thing, I have IBG's small scale version of it. 

This is 1/72 like the IBG kits. The IBG versions are very nice and not that much more expensive but they're proper accurate display models and I wanted something basic I could handle and move round the table top without damage. 

That said, I've just been looking around Hannants and have 'a few' of the IBG kits bookmarked for later :) 

Andy

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

That said, I've just been looking around Hannants and have 'a few' of the IBG kits bookmarked for later :) 

These little kits are good value for money! 

First decals on. 1/72 scale for the front formation signs. Don't know how I've managed it but there is a fairly neat circle of unweathered paint in the perfect spot on the bumper for the bridging class sign.

spacer.png

Bridging sign in 1/100 stuck in it's special place.

spacer.png

1/100 versions applied to the rear where they're a much better fit.

spacer.png

Almost done now. Off to the model shop again in the meantime. My sister's fella is another modeller and she's asked me to pick him up something for his birthday. It's a tough life :D 

Andy

• Like 1

All done. Cut up the kit box to make a mini photo booth. Couple of pictures here, more in the gallery after tea - please don't let me forget.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Considering this was a last minute addition and only meant to keep me amused while I was waiting for paint to dry on my main build, I really enjoyed it, but then BBGB's are always great fun when they're finished - they can get the heart beating slightly faster than it should while they're in progess as you go through the this is easy/where did the time go/disaster/saved!! cycle.

Andy

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Foxbat said:

BBGB's are always great fun when they're finished - they can get the heart beating slightly faster than it should while they're in progess as you go through the this is easy/where did the time go/disaster/saved!! cycle.

That sounds very familiar.  It may have been a simple time filler kit, but it looks great.

• Thanks 1