Tigers primer is a bit gritty or grainy?

william smith

Hello again everybody , I’m not sure if this is normal for Vallejo surface primers (I’m using the white one) , I sprayed at 1.5 bar (20 psi) and sprayed the primer on in light thin coats at around 4 inches away from the model using a crown air cap and 0.4mm nozzle , the surface feels fine however when showed under a light at an angle , the surface isn’t really even and certainly not smooth looks almost dusty or sand papery , I initially thought this was just the nature of the primer to give the paint something to grip too is this normal? I completely stripped my airbrush and cleaned it thoroughly , so it can’t be that , I want to say it’s normal as I didn’t really mind with the cheiftain as the cheiftains turret is cast so it gives a good effect , however with the tiger it’s a bit different , and I will probably strip the primer off the tiger today.

many thanks 

William 

I've had this problem with Tamiya before, and it sounds similar to your problem with Vallejo. I feel it was too warm,or I was too far away, and the paint was drying before it hit the plastic. A stiff brush cleared off most of the gritty texture. Maybe a fine grade sanding will suffice rather than a repaint.

Primers need to go down wet, I don't mean flooded just when they hit the surface they look wet and then flash off(lacquer type) if their drying before they hit the surface you'll never get a smooth finish, especially with any surface that is angeled to another, the bounce back from that surface will just settle on the other surface and be rough

With lacquer based primers you can get away with wet sanding with fine sandpaper to smooth out and respray, the other type don't seem to like being sanded at all and tend to peel in my experiance

• Thanks 1