Normandy battlers

depressed lemur

Cromwell ready for the paint shop.

20200829_205633

What have I learned so far?

1. Targets have lots of fiddly bits.

2. Sub assemblies are useful. 

3. Taking the time to get the gun to go up and down can be negated instantly by knocking over your extra thin.

4.  Extra thin spills take the ink off your cutting mat.

5. Extra thin spills take you back to the high you got of Britfix 77.

Next up, Tiger 2.

Music

Rise by John Dreamer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is it for the night.

20200829_233639

The Cromwell is now green and just needs a few bits of paint for details. 

The Tiger is fighting back. For some reason my desert yellow has decided not to go through the airbrush resulting in two strip downs.  Thought it better to walk away and try tomorrow. 

Night night. 

Still on track though.

• Sad 1

The beauty of Blitzbuild is the focusing of the mind in problematical situations. 

Problem,  Tamiya Desert Yellow has decided to react with something inside my airbrush and refuse to come out. Solution,  strip and retry.

Problem, solution didn't work, no other Desert Yellow. 

Solution,  go to Mr. Hobby paint.

Solution works, but not the right colour.

20200830_093836

Tiger 2 will be in Luftwaffe desert yellow.

I blame the ingenuity of the mechanics. 

• Like 1

As time ticks on I have been informed by SWIMBO that I need to prep Sunday dinner, so stop mucking about with bits of plastic  😀.

Main painting is complete,  with decal, details and a light weathering to consider.

For now, here i am.

20200830_120758

20200830_120807

Further updates to come. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

They look great - I have a terrible feeling that the peashooter on the Cromwell isn't going to be much use in the conflict to come though. 😬

It is scary to think that the gun in the Tiger is longer than the Cromwell. 

These are quite interesting builds  I am learning that there are subtle differences in how you build and paint armour compared to aircraft. My hat goes off to the afv modellers who can make these things look heavy.

3 minutes ago, depressed lemur said:

It is scary to think that the gun in the Tiger is longer than the Cromwell. 

These are quite interesting builds  I am learning that there are subtle differences in how you build and paint armour compared to aircraft. My hat goes off to the afv modellers who can make these things look heavy.

The secret is to stay away from the pointy end until it inevitably breaks down (the same engine was used in the Panther where it was overstressed, the Tiger I where it was really overstressed and the Tiger II where it needed counselling and an overhaul just to leave the factory).

Joking aside, the Cromwell's gun was a development of the 17lbr and so was pretty effective against most things it had to fight (Tigers of all types were much more common on the Eastern front than the Western), although using speed to compensate for the still quite light armour depended on having space to speed in.

Nice builds on both tanks. Looking forward to the next update.

Andy

• Like 1