AW’s Revell Tornado F3

Andwil

Detail painting completed and a start has been made on the decals.  The first layer of the special squadron markings have been applied along with the upper wing markings and stencils:

50527290521_d055a0f086_b.jpg

50526562578_93a4278e46_b.jpg

Looks like it has developed a rash.  I’ll being seeing “No Step” in my sleep tonight.  The stencils are from the kit sheet that I was concerned would be no good, but other than a couple of small stencils that disintegrated they have gone on fine, just take a very long time to release from the backing, even using quite hot water.

I’m taking a few days away on my Sister in Law’s houseboat on the Murray, first break this year, so no further work on the Tornado until the weekend.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Back after a few days of peace and tranquillity:

50558026742_19044016a8_b.jpg

and back to the Tornado.  After three lengthy sessions the decals are finished.

50558026172_aebb76c2e1_b.jpg

50557900376_8b4ae02f34_b.jpg

I ended up not using all the stencils as some are so small they can barely be seen and some of them simply dissolved on contact with any moisture.  I’ll let the last batch settle overnight then seal the lot in with a matte coat.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 4

Matte coat on:

50562345882_1088ba8985_b.jpg

50561471463_a04ec9b682_b.jpg

Used my usual Liquitex Matte Varnish, brushed on (I’m not game to try it in the airbrush) which dries nice and matte and smooth, with a slight sheen.

Thanks for looking.

AW

PS does anyone else keep getting 503 Errors on the forum?  The last few days I’ve been getting it a lot.

• Like 6

Today I unmasked the canopy

50565661607_854b6e2650_b.jpg

nice and clear.  Then I attached the undercarriage:

50565661917_e152a4e180_b.jpg

relieved to see it’s not a tail sitter, but I realise now that I haven’t tested it with the wings swept.  Fingers crossed 🤞 it will still sit level.  The undercarriage is quite spindly, I hope it will be strong enough to support the model over time.

Exhausts attached:

50565661502_a5e0e4f392_b.jpg

When assembling the undercarriage I discovered that I had misinterpreted Revell’s instructions:

50565662082_5185788229_b.jpg

I mistakenly attached the small air scoop, part 43 behind the nose wheel well instead of offset to port.  This meant I could not put the nose wheel door in place.  Luckily I was able to prise off the scoop and reattach it in the correct position.  A little bit of touching up will be required.

Missiles, tanks and pitot to be attached next and a couple of antennae to reattach and it will be finished, something I expect to do by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 4

Well, I’m calling it finished.  Missiles tanks and various sticky out bits attached:

50574431133_6bace6d3e1_b.jpg

More photos in the gallery where it can keep @theplasticsurgeon’s pair company, they must have been feeling quite lonely.

AW

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

She's a beauty - got a soft spot for tremblers machines having grown up at Leuchars.  And I agree about the Revell instructions, they leave a bit to be desired in a number of places..

Al.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks speedy!

Great work!

:pilot:

Thanks.  I think the F3 is the best looking of the Tornado family, with its longer, pointier nose.  And it doesn’t have to fly around carrying a shipping container underneath it 😉

AW

• Haha 2