Revell (Matchbox) 1/76 M24 Chaffee ++Finished++

Jinxman

Here's my offering - Revell's rebox of the Matchbox kit. Looks simple enough, we shall see.

Start time 05:47 on Saturday, and I'll be trying to get it done in two stints.

50280246713_76c34937fc_c.jpg

• Like 7

...and some gluing done. Lots of small wheels, the main body and the turret - no issues so far and it looks like a modicum of filler will be needed for tidying up so all is well. Human League, Jethro Tull, and Neil Young on the playlist for the morning, but will step up a gear in the afternoon.

50281245267_7a766987f1_c.jpg

44 minutes ago, RevDWC said:

Best of luck with your  build. I remember making this as a kid.

I can't remember doing this one as a kid - but then again I can't remember what happened two days ago - so who knows? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'll watch this. I have a copy of the OKB Grigorov Chaffee on order but waiting for its photo-etch: apparently the OKB Grigorov photo-etch wallah is AWOL! If it arrives soon enough it may be in the Vietnam GB.

This Matchbox version looks a lot more manageable!

Alan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

I'll watch this. I have a copy of the OKB Grigorov Chaffee on order but waiting for its photo-etch: apparently the OKB Grigorov photo-etch wallah is AWOL! If it arrives soon enough it may be in the Vietnam GB.

This Matchbox version looks a lot more manageable!

Alan

Just looked  up the mammoth edition of that kit - wow! Defo not a Blitzbuid candidate. 😀

Luncheon has been scoffed - couscous with fried courgette, sun-ripened tomatoes and jalapeños in Shaoxing wine - together with my coffee that should keep me going until later.

Play list for the afternoon - The Who, Linkin Park, Billy Talent and so on.

All the bits are off the sprue, base constructed and filled, some filler around the main body. Sanding next - hoping to get some paint on before I finish up around 17:30.

50281848442_7d6087270c_c.jpg

• Like 4

..and a bit of primer - a few areas that need a touch up - but not bad. I'll also use a touch of Mr.Surfacer to replicate the weld lines here and there. Looking at pics on the net it seems there need to be a few grab handle there and there, so I might knock a few up whilst the primer dries.

Hopefully get a bit of pre-shading on this evening so it can have a dousing of paint in the morning.

50281420848_e9a688df55_c.jpg

• Like 6

That's me for today - mostly primed, and a wash on most of the components. Weld line added to the turret and main body, holes drilled where they need to be. I've found a few pieces in the spares box to liven the stowage situation up, and I might knock something up tomorrow if I get the urge. The decals have been tested and don't seem to have much adhesive on them - I'll be plumping for the @stevehnz method of floating them on with Klear - should sort it out.

A bit of paint sprayed on in the morning should get things looking ok, and whilst it is drying I can have a play with the base.

Off to the garden now to get some veg for soup later, once that's out of the way I can catch up with everybody's builds. 😀

50282727227_7a993b0cb9_c.jpg

50282568706_1e6e050f6a_c.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Natter said:

Super progress.  Nice to see Revell do include the base in some reboxed kits.  As an aside; homemade veg soup - yum.

Well, the dioramas were always included in the main kit sprues of Matchbox kits, so they're going nowhere. All Revell reboxes of Matchbox 1/76 scale kits have them.

34 minutes ago, Ron NL-S said:

It is tiny!

I might've missed it, but is this a rebox? The included scenery reminds me of.. what was it.. Matchbox?

Yes, it's Matchbox, from a long time ago, back when dinosaurs roamed the planet ...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ron NL-S said:

It is tiny!

I might've missed it, but is this a rebox? The included scenery reminds me of.. what was it.. Matchbox?

Indeed Matchbox - surprised me with how well it has gone together for such an old kit, and the base is an added bonus.

• Like 1

Second coat of green on - looks ok to me, and I'll give it an hour before getting a gloss coat on it, so I can decal. The base has been started, and I'll just keep applying layers until it looks ok. Next task is to get some dark grey on the tyres, guns, etc.

50284895588_9e8d5000d9_c.jpg

50284895358_f70f0a03fa_c.jpg

• Like 7

Calling it a day, back is killing me, and we have 'The Scottish Option"! I reckon that gives me about 5 hours to get a bit a weathering on it tomorrow - easy. 😀  Today we have had The Beatles and Rush on the playlist.

Tyres painted, general tidying, and an attempt at the decals made - most look as if they will be ok, but the large star on the rear decking doesn't look as if it will settle - no worries as it can come off.

Lunch was leftover veg soup and sourdough - long gone now though..   and the whippet is unimpressed as always unless walking is involved.

50286491976_e5f33238c6_c.jpg

50286495276_b4b5d65823_c.jpg

50286493186_dc3f85bcee_c.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Angus Tura said:

Looking good. What is the green colour, for future reference?

Alan

Hi Alan - the first coat was Humbrol 150 and the top coat 31 - both enamels. It's all had a coat of Klear now, but it hasn't darkened the finish too much. The fronts of the wheels have only been coated in 150 as they were turned around and I forgot about them. 🤭 It will all have a decent dusting tomorrow in any case, so hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

It's had a pin wash with dilute watercolour, a tidy up, and a coat of Alclad Flat thinned with Mr.Color Self Levelling - in the hour it takes to dry I'll relax and listen to Elvis Costello and think about a bit of chipping, dry-brushing and then we are done - about three hours left so we should be ok.

50289826436_a070f4493d_c.jpg

• Like 2

And when you rush things they go awry.  Rear wheel superglued in the wrong place, wrenched off, and pinned! Should be ok now. Celtic Frost on the go to help me through.

50289396248_aea50cb14f_c.jpg

• Like 2

..and she's done - off for a coffee and some toast before taking some pics for the gallery. Thanks to Enzo as usual and everyone who looked in and participated in another great Blitzbuild. 😀 The playlist ended with Cerebral Fix.

50290200036_7540cd92a9_c.jpg

• Like 6