A-7D Corsair II

Last of my lockdown builds....the old (ish) but still excellent Fujimi A-7D. Picked this one up at a model show last year for a very cheap price and it's worth every penny. Built completely OOB.

The decals were the only weak point... probably not helped by the age of the kit, but i just about managed to salvage them as i really wanted to do the sharkmouth 23rd TFW machine.

Paints were freehand airbrushed tamiya with a varnish of Vallejo premium gloss...and then satin to finish the job.

Thanks for looking! 😁

IMG_20200825_183307

IMG_20200825_183254

IMG_20200825_183419

IMG_20200825_183321

IMG_20200825_183347

IMG_20200825_183337

• Like 41

You've done a superb job with this. Certainly a job well done.

There's something very appealing about the Corsair II, particularly in this colour scheme. It has a very mean and aggressive look about it. 

• Thanks 1

Lovely build and paintwork. Like you I bought one at a show for £5 an absolute bargain. Can you tell me how bad we’re the decals? Mine look concerning. 

Cheers Allan 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, almac said:

Lovely build and paintwork. Like you I bought one at a show for £5 an absolute bargain. Can you tell me how bad we’re the decals? Mine look concerning. 

Cheers Allan 

Thanks very much. 👍The problem I had was that the protective film had stuck to the top of the decals and so trying to remove it left a white residue over some items. I painted several coats of gloss varnish over the top which seemed to do the trick. One good thing is that they didn't disintegrate which can sometimes happen on older decals. 

2 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Thanks very much. 👍The problem I had was that the protective film had stuck to the top of the decals and so trying to remove it left a white residue over some items. I painted several coats of gloss varnish over the top which seemed to do the trick. One good thing is that they didn't disintegrate which can sometimes happen on older decals. 

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like yours were worse than mine so might be ok.

Cheers Allan

• Thanks 1

The SLUFF is a lovely looking beast and you have done a cracker in that wraparound SEA scheme.

I am a big fan of Tamiya paints and would love to know which ones that you used.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Booty003 said:

The SLUFF is a lovely looking beast and you have done a cracker in that wraparound SEA scheme.

I am a big fan of Tamiya paints and would love to know which ones that you used.

Thanks very much for the kind words. I love Tamiya as it's the only reliable paint that i seem to be able to do freehand camo without any clogging of the small airbrush nozzle. Mr Hobby Aqueous isn't too bad either but their actual FS colours didn't quite look right when compared to some colour photos of the EL aircraft. In the end I used XF59, 74 and 89.👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Thanks very much for the kind words. I love Tamiya as it's the only reliable paint that i seem to be able to do freehand camo without any clogging of the small airbrush nozzle. Mr Hobby Aqueous isn't too bad either but their actual FS colours didn't quite look right when compared to some colour photos of the EL aircraft. In the end I used XF59, 74 and 89.👍

Cheers bud, I will pick up a couple of bottles for my next build. 👍

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Filler said:

That's brilliant and freehand airbrushed?!! Impressive skill.

Cheers mate! Yes a good H&S airbrush, small nozzle, much much practice and a sweating brow! It doesn't always work out though so it's sometimes hit n miss...then much correction with the hairy brush! 😁

There are few things more satisfying than picking up a nice kit for a bargain price and producing an excellent result from it.

It is somehow gratifying to "rescue" an overlooked kit and give it the attention it deserves.

You've done exactly that and your skillful build is well worth saluting.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kapam said:

There are few things more satisfying than picking up a nice kit for a bargain price and producing an excellent result from it.

It is somehow gratifying to "rescue" an overlooked kit and give it the attention it deserves.

You've done exactly that and your skillful build is well worth saluting.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the kind words. Yes some of the 'older' kits out there still stand up really well against modern equivalents and you really can't go wrong with most of the Fujimi offerings. Getting them for a bargain price too gives you great satisfaction 👍

Gotta love that Vietnam wrap round camouflage (I know this is far later than Vietnam but not sure what that scheme is called!) and you've made a superb model here, that freehand camouflage is vey nicely done.

• Thanks 1