Swedish duo - A21R + J32B - 1/72 - BOTH COMPLETE!

5 hours ago, Christer A said:

Actually not a camera, but a part of the gun sight system:

Sikte-6A, especially developed for J32B.

It has two systems, the day and night version, so you have a HUD with two glasses.

That "camera" is part of the IR/night vision system.

Was this system installed from the beginning on all J-32Bs or was a later modification?

While Lansen is sitting in the paint shop I'm not forgetting its elder brother.

20210828_191126

As you can see decals took their spots, I also highlighted panel lines (a bit too light, possible can go through once more) and added some weathering with Tamiya powders. Mostly around flaps, mid wing on the bottom, and rear fuselage cone. 

Decals are as supplied in the kit. Worked very well, although a bit fragile especially stencils. 

Also I worked a little with this:

20210828_191303

This gun nacelle looks a bit more tired hopefully.

All the best,

Dennis

• Like 4

Great to se the J21 on your bench, have both version in my stash, so it´s very nice to see it build befor I start min.

Looks great so far, I´m looking forward to the finished modell.

...same for the Lansen.

• Like 1

It's always a stressful moment standing a model on her legs for the first time. And your J21 looks great. The finish line is in sight...

Cheers,

Tom

37 minutes ago, Tomjw said:

It's always a stressful moment standing a model on her legs for the first time. And your J21 looks great. The finish line is in sight...

Cheers,

Tom

With this one it was particularly unpredictable. Main legs are tilted forward, nose is a little bit upward, tail is heavy (single piece stabilizer!!!).

Also weight was a compromise between space availability and amount of lead - not too few to avoid tail sitting, not too much to rescue the main gear (remember it is forward tilting so not too stable - although I reinforced joints with metal tubes).

And in fact it can also tail sit :) So it was probably knife blade!

2 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

With this one it was particularly unpredictable. Main legs are tilted forward, nose is a little bit upward, tail is heavy (single piece stabilizer!!!).

Also weight was a compromise between space availability and amount of lead - not too few to avoid tail sitting, not too much to rescue the main gear (remember it is forward tilting so not too stable - although I reinforced joints with metal tubes).

And in fact it can also tail sit :) So it was probably knife blade!

Clearly you've cracked it Dennis. Careful planning and attention to detail has paid off.

• Like 1

That J21 is looking mighty fine!

Actually, the markings you've chosen corresponds to F7 Wing, witch at that time converted from light and medium propeller drivenbombers (SAAB B18 mainly) to jet driven whatever-was-available.

This was the J21R which then were converted to the attack role, and the designation A21.

The gunpod was called Toad due to its look.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Christer A said:

That J21 is looking mighty fine!

Actually, the markings you've chosen corresponds to F7 Wing, witch at that time converted from light and medium propeller drivenbombers (SAAB B18 mainly) to jet driven whatever-was-available.

This was the J21R which then were converted to the attack role, and the designation A21.

The gunpod was called Toad due to its look.

Hi Christer, 

Yeah, I'm pleased about it so far :) hopefully nothing gets wrong further.

And for the F7 wing service - I figure gun pods with J21Rs should be quite natural for this wing. One question though - would this aircrafts (with gun pods) be considered J21 or A21 already? Maybe in other words, were Toads designed for ground attack (I guess so) or still for air superiority purposes?

Thanks,

Dennis

Catching up on the way these two are progressing. They both look great. I love the way you have detailed the J32 wheel bays. Your work on the rear of the port side bay looks very similar to what I am doing. I had considered re-doing the whole bays completely, but your work has convinced me that repairing that part looks fine!

Looking forward to seeing the Lansen with paint!

Terry

• Like 1

Hi Terry,

On 31/08/2021 at 10:29, Terry1954 said:

I love the way you have detailed the J32 wheel bays. Your work on the rear of the port side bay looks very similar to what I am doing. I had considered re-doing the whole bays completely, but your work has convinced me that repairing that part looks fine!

This is how wheel bays look like after aluminium painting.

20210901_111448

Silver painting revealed couple places where I did not clean excessive glue, but otherwise looks fine. 

Regards, 

Dennis

• Like 4

Before...

20210905_010751

And after

20210905_185522

Wraparound painting with a single colour isn't fast but done after all! And I like a lot how it turned out. H309 for green FS34079 diluted with white. Same colour as on J-21R. Unpainted aluminium leading edges probably are a little wider than they should be but I like how this looks which is probably most important. Still have to cover the airframe with varnish.

Regards,

Dennis

• Like 7

Hi,

While my Lansen is approaching the decalling stage, I spend couple last nights killing my eyes with this:

20210905_014038

This is a rare example where undercarriage doors are supplied with microscopic p/e hinges. Some nervous job and of course carpet monster took its tribute! One of the L13 parts was lost... bit since it should have been somewhere under the gear no one will know :)

I'm not yet 100% done but the intermediate result is below:

20210906_103813

Couple pe bits have to be added yet but overall seems not too bad so far. 

I was lazy to make a new pitot. Still kit's one is a bit machinegunny in size. So this is not final stage yet probably...

Thanks for looking! 

Dennis.

• Like 4

Some further work with J-21

20210907_003953

All is on picture...

Kit has a hole for pitot on the wrong side! Compare to actual photos.

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/fighter/j21r/j21r-5.jpg

And even instruction shows it correctly on the port side:

20210907_004455

Blind me... Okay. Some delicate sanding and very delicate brush painting now.

Cheers :)

Dennis

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Filling that little hole won't be a problem for someone who managed to fit those tiny tiny etch-pieces!

Great find though!

Already filled. Not perfect as I wanted to minimise damage to surrounding paint but that's offset with beauty of the new pitot from brass tube and wire :)

And now I have a plastic stick to use as a 30 mm caliber gun elsewhere😉

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Haha 2

Hey all,

Finished A-21R today. Let's call it A-21 after Toad has been installed :)

20210912_000431

Several photos in the cabinet that I did on my cell phone camera under the electric light. Will later treat it with a decent photosession to post into RFI. One photo is with the younger brother - J29B.

Sprayed it today with satin micro finish. Installed the gun pod and added antenna on the starboard wing made of fishing line. 

Next is the Lansen to be finished!

Cheers,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 5

• Dennis_C changed the title to Swedish duo - A21R (complete) + J32B - 1/72
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm not forgetting the Lansen after J-21 was done!

Fully completed decal job recently:

20211012_181346

Decal sheet included some stencilling as well, but that was so tiny and in black font so hardy recognisable on a model. I'd admit that Tarangus decals were very good quality. Thin, strong, adhered excellently.

I used mr.mark softer for the first time on this model and was quite satisfied. Previously I just used 70% acetic acid diluted about 1:1 with water. This was sometimes too aggressive and had strong odour. Mister Softer is definitely more gentle substance but with similar effect so is likely also acid based. Still have to try that on some less appeaseable decals. 

Next steps would be weathering, painting some niche details, and installation of external parts such as pylons, engine, aerials, undercarriage etc. 

All the best,

Dennis

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Some other projects has been distracting attention - but Lansen is on approach:

20211127_210019

Already on its shelf place, but yet to be finished with satin lacquer and some weaponry yet to be acquired. 

And then a decent photosession :)

Best,

Dennis

• Like 2