Tim's Revell 1/72 F3 - COMPLETED

A comparison build, simultaneous with an equivalent Airfix.

This kit bought at RIAT 2019 for the bargain price of £7.

Revell-Tornado.jpg

A kit which I built in 2016.  For this project I'll be using the leftover Airfix decals - undecided which way round.

Revell-Tornado-F3-3.jpg

And my reference book, so I know EVERYTHING about Tornados.

Tornado.jpg

And bemoaning that there is no kit of this Tornado.

Rail-Tornado.jpg

Tim for a brew.

Birmingham-Moor-Street-Cappucino.jpg

• Like 8

Great to have you along. Many of the 1/72 builders will be interested in your comparison for the 2 kits.

The steam Tornado would be a great build. I'd not be surprised if some other part of Hornby makes one.

Colin W

• Thanks 1

Cockpit coming together

Revell-Cockpit.jpg

Then,   oh dear, I've just discovered that 167 Barley Grey is not longer in Humbrol's enamel range - so I bought it in acrylic.

Does acrylic paint airbrush?  I finished up brush painting the wing upper surfaces.

Revell-Wings.jpg

What could I be doing wrong?

• Like 3

Front cockpit bulkhead doesn't look like it's fully seated on the bottom of the fuselage.  When you're pressing the nose together, does it feel like the upper is making contact around that bulkhead?  Might need a little sanding/shaving for clearance.

I can't speak to Humbrol's acrylics, but the Tamiya acrylics spray a treat once you've got them thinned down.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

Front cockpit bulkhead doesn't look like it's fully seated on the bottom of the fuselage.  

Agreed and it also does not look to be fully on the cockpit flooring. I think that I can see the ridge on the bottom of the fuselage just about which that bulkhead is meant to be behind.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

Front cockpit bulkhead doesn't look like it's fully seated on the bottom of the fuselage.  When you're pressing the nose together, does it feel like the upper is making contact around that bulkhead?  Might need a little sanding/shaving for clearance.

That photo is actually still dryfitted,  but I am forewarned to be cautious when assembling the forward fuselage.

• Like 2

The inner pylons.   On my previous build I left them off until later.  Then heat-smashed the pin for a more interference fit.

Now the pylons are moveable, and removeable in avoidance of damage.

I'm not fitting outer pylons to either model, they're very rare in service.  Out of hundreds of F3 photos, I found just 2 with them fitted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Good work Tim! 
What is the technique for heat smashing pins for these, my Italeri has this coming up...heated screw driver, not sure what I’m doing

Actually,  if I'm on the cusp of ruining two models for the price of one, we'll do this another way.

Put a drop of Klear into the pylon hole, just before fitting the pylon.  This will bind but not adhere the plastics.

Giving enough flexibility for the pylons to move, until you take them off to store the model.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

The inner pylons.   On my previous build I left them off until later.  Then heat-smashed the pin for a more interference fit.

Now the pylons are moveable, and removeable in avoidance of damage.

I'm not fitting outer pylons to either model, they're very rare in service.  Out of hundreds of F3 photos, I found just 2 with them fitted.

Tornado F3s mainly operated with the inner pylons only. They did use all 4 during Op Telic and I think a bit after that.

• Like 1

According to the Warpaint volume on the Tornado ADV, the fitting of the outer pylons affected the handling of the aircraft such that it was referred to by the aircrew as the “pig fit”

AW

• Haha 3

What I'd really like to do is complete this model with the black tail option decals.

The difficult with that, is that the decal would need to go over the ILS aerials - therein the difficulty.

So for that reason, I removed the ILS, and conducted a side-by-side comparison.

Fins.jpg

I'm now happy that I can complete this model with the black tail.

Fin fitted.

Revell.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 6:33 AM, CliffB said:

Yes Tim, Humbrol acrylic paint will spray OK.  Have a practice first though :winkgrin:.

Cheers

THanks for that reassurance.   

What should it be thinned with?  I'd guess to a semi-skimmed milk viscosity.

is there anything else that I need to know about it?