Tim's Airfix 1/72 F3 - COMPLETED

Pitching in with this Airfix club offering,  won in the IPMS Avon 2013 show tombola.

Airfix-Tornado-F3s.jpg

Undecided about which scheme as yet.

I've not built the Airfix 1/72 F3 kit previously, but here are my previous Airfix 1/72 Tornados in build order.

First a GR1, built about 1988ish

Airfix-Tornado-001.jpg

Repainted about 2017, for Gulf War - before being sold at Jet Age.

Airfix-Tornado-GW.jpg

Airfix MRCA prototype, built 2017.

Airfix-MRCA1.jpg

Airfix GR4 built 2020.

Airfix-Tornado-S.jpg

Now, should I post my 1/48 Tornados.

• Like 7

Cockpit coming together

Airfix-Cockpit.jpg

Then,   oh dear, I've just discovered that 167 Barley Grey is not longer in Humbrol's enamel range - so I bought it in acrylic.

Does acrylic paint airbrush?  I finished up brush painting the wing upper surfaces.

Airfix-Wings.jpg

What could I be doing wrong?

• Like 4

Some good progress there.

I know people who spray acrylics but when ever I try I just end with a blocked brush and splattered paint. Mr Colour Lacquer is my preferred option. They do a Barley Grey as well!

Colin

On 9/12/2020 at 10:31 AM, Marcin Kaminski said:

How does the Airfix compare to the Revell kit so far?

Thus far, they're both representing the same finished product, and they look and have built very similarly.

Revell has engraved surface detail, Airfix has raised.  Revell has a better defined look about it.

Airfix appears to be a sort of polythene,which doesn't help definition.

Revell is harded plastic which aids the definition.

Wing sweep is controlled with a link, on Airfix it's inserted from above, on Revell below.  Revell suggest to heat smash the pins for security - I did this on both.

Revell tailerons are linked,  Airfix not.  I believe they operate indepdently for roll - so Airfix wins that one.

Revell cockpit and seats look better than Airfix.  Airfix has pilot figures.

Revell has some moulded-on aerials which are separate parts on Airfix.  Those sicking from the fin are the reason I'm finishing Airfix as the 25 year option.

Revell offers 1500ltr tanks, Airfix 2250ltr.

Airfix uses Humbrol paint numbers, Revell uses their mystery-mixes - Yeuch.

Both offer a Black tail anniversary option, and a 65 Squadron /OCU option.

So far I'm prefering Revell, but I'm going to edit this post as building proresses.

I'll be completing this as the 65 Squadron option, using the black tail decals on the Revell, 

Here's the comparison photo.
Fins.jpg

I've constructed this console from and old photo, a detail lacking for this kit.

Air-console.jpg

Tail fitted to this model.

Airfix.jpg

• Like 1

I know you're going to ask, so here are both Airfix Tornados together.

Airfix-Tornados2.jpg

Airfix-Tornados3.jpg

And showing the difference in length at the back.

See that difference between the back of the airbrakes and the reverser buckets.  Seperate parts on the GR, moulded with the fuselage on this kit.

Airfix-Tornados1.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Found this thread as I am presently building the Airfix F3 as a 29(F) Sqn aircraft.  Something that was pointed out to me today is that the tailerons are about 3 mm too far to the rear.  I was happy as it was - but now that has been pointed out I have to change it; fortunately I have yet to finish the cockpit so nothing is together yet.

i will be doing an early cammo aircraft with many shades of grey but whilst I have a Humbrol Barley Grey, I used the HATAKA lacquer paint.