the biggest mistery in helo's kits world...

Davide Calzolari

..why no one till today has seen the importance to do a 48sc (32/35 sc a holy smoke dream..) iniection mould kit of mil mi-28 hokum?

tell me if ive forgot some  recent manufacturer's creation,but i dont find kit of the mil 28 in major scale!

trumpy,revell,italeri, if u hear me beat a move!

On 8/28/2020 at 3:52 PM, Davide Calzolari said:

..why no one till today has seen the importance to do a 48sc (32/35 sc a holy smoke dream..) iniection mould kit of mil mi-28 hokum?

tell me if ive forgot some  recent manufacturer's creation,but i dont find kit of the mil 28 in major scale!

I suspect part of the reason is that for many years the Mil-28 (NATO nickname "Havoc") was considered an abandoned prototype, having lost out to the Ka-50 "Hokum" in the contest to be post-Soviet Russia's Hind replacement. 

Despite first flying in 1982, the Havoc was considered cancelled by 1993, although Mil did continue development without a buyer.  It was a decade or more later before Russia decided to buy the all-weather Mil-28N, which has since added orders from Algeria and post-Saddam Iraq.

But actually also the Ka-50 failed...only very few serial maschines being build!

The two-seat Ka-52 was more successful after msny years og developpment, and its naval variant was also exported to Egypt recently.

The Mi-24 is still being produced by the way!

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

But actually also the Ka-50 failed...only very few serial maschines being build!

The two-seat Ka-52 was more successful after msny years og developpment, and its naval variant was also exported to Egypt recently.

The Mi-24 is still being produced by the way!

Probably more accurate/fair to say the Ka-50 was not procured in large numbers, primarily due to the state of post-Soviet Russia's finances at the time.  It was always pretty well understood that an all-weather capable development would be needed, which became the Ka-52.

In any case, going back to the original subject, the Ka-50 had a 1/48 kit from Italeri circa 1996.  As the "winner" at the time, it's not too surprising the Hokum was a higher priority than the Havoc from a kit manufacturers' standpoint.

It's more of a surprise to me that the Rusians at one time planned to replace their Hinds with Havocs and Hokums.  Granted the Mi-28 and Ka-50/52 series are far more capable as attack helicopters, but the Hind still has significant capability in that regard plus the unique benefit of a cabin to act as an assault transport.  Since operating Hinds in Syria, Russia has reversed their decision and plans to continue operating upgraded Hinds along with some mix of Havocs and Hokums.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, exdraken said:

We are also missing the Z-10 from China.... probably the sleekest attack helicopter around... by the way there is also no decent Tiger.... :(

Thats what the french and Germans say 🤣🤣I actually dont know if its any good ...its no apache but id be interested to know.....the Aussie bought it and NH90.....built two ships around them 

• Haha 3

The Tiger and NH90 are both hangar queens, by all accounts. It has taken years for the Australian Army to get the Tiger to a point where it is an operational aircraft. And they are looking for a replacement.

The availability rates for the NH90 are incredibly low at an average of 38% with an astronomical cost per flight hour!

There are some nice models of both types available in 1/72 but the real aircraft seem to be complete disasters.

LD. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Davide Calzolari said:

here in italy armed forces satisfied of nh 90, something less about aw 101....

Interesting!

Is it the only country to operate both?

And all with the GE engines, no?

And Italy has Chinooks as well....

But then it is also Army, Navy and Airforce....

hi,aw 101 for italian navy, nh 90 for italian army's aviation -al with Ge engines i suppose,no rtm

in our main  aviaition(aeronautica,that one in blue dress )there's a proposal to a squadron of c-sar with aw 101

-i dont know if we are the sole  county to operate both(no one similar in north west europe with the 2 lines?) ,surely italian army satisfied of nh 90,rumors that aw101 in our navy is considered very challenging, very demanding..

I seem to remember reading years ago that Soviet use of the Mi-24 Hind very rarely involved carrying any troops in the main cabin, as it slowed the airframe down too much and also restricted the amount of armaments carried.

At the most, the Hinds would fly with one or two machine-gunners in the main-cabin. Having said that, we are mainly talking about the Hind's use in Afghanistan, which was often flying in "hot-and-high" conditions. The Russians normally used the Mi-8 to carry troops and the Hinds provided cover for the landings and extractions. 

Also, if Russian helo crews were captured by the local Afghan freedom-fighters, they could expect a truly horrible demise at the hands of their captors. 

Chris.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 2:52 PM, Davide Calzolari said:

Probably b/c at the end of USSR it lost competition to Ka-50, it is constantly changed, does not have a "cool" factor as either Kamov's helos or Mi-24, current production model is viewed as "we really want all these to be Ka-52 but we cannot afford it" and is probably quite a niche product (would be interesting to find out how it sells in 72 scale (I know only the one from Zvezda, the ancient one from Italeri is a fiction)). What is a bigger mystery is why there is no decent short Huey in 48 scale... I mean I know there is an ancient Revell as well as more recent HobbyBoss but at the best I can say that those are a mix of B & C and you have to do quite a bit of scratchbuilding to get either (but honestly both are abysmal models).

1 hour ago, Doom3r said:

Probably b/c at the end of USSR it lost competition to Ka-50, it is constantly changed, does not have a "cool" factor as either Kamov's helos or Mi-24, current production model is viewed as "we really want all these to be Ka-52 but we cannot afford it" and is probably quite a niche product (would be interesting to find out how it sells in 72 scale (I know only the one from Zvezda, the ancient one from Italeri is a fiction)).

The 1/72 Mil-28 from Zvezda is originally DML/Dragon's tooling. DML released this when the Havoc was widely displayed shortly after the fall of the Iron Curtain.  Zvezda later reboxed it for their home market and also released an updated Mil-28N with conversion parts of their own.

Roughly contemporary with DML's kit, Revell did a Havoc-A, which was later updated (by Revell AG) to a Mil-28N. The detail on the DML/Zvezda kit is slightly better, but I can't confirm accuracy of either.

The Testors/Italeri Mil-28 would more accurately be called "hokum" 😄 It was obviously based on US DoD renderings before the real thing had been publicly displayed.  ESCI/AMT had a similar "speculative" rendition of the Ka-50.

1 hour ago, CT7567 said:

The 1/72 Mil-28 from Zvezda is originally DML/Dragon's tooling. DML released this when the Havoc was widely displayed shortly after the fall of the Iron Curtain.  Zvezda later reboxed it for their home market and also released an updated Mil-28N with conversion parts of their own.

Roughly contemporary with DML's kit, Revell did a Havoc-A, which was later updated (by Revell AG) to a Mil-28N. The detail on the DML/Zvezda kit is slightly better, but I can't confirm accuracy of either.

The Testors/Italeri Mil-28 would more accurately be called "hokum" 😄 It was obviously based on US DoD renderings before the real thing had been publicly displayed.  ESCI/AMT had a similar "speculative" rendition of the Ka-50.

Didn't know all this. I have a Zvezda Mi-28 in the stash and only b/c I was buying some other model kit online and opened box of the kit I was after + Mi-28 was cheaper then a brand new kit I was after (Don't really remember what kit that was, only remember I've built it almost right away, however Mi-28 is still waiting it's time.

7 hours ago, Davide Calzolari said:

not sure could not sell enough-great helo,and is 48 not 32sc-

have been created (and in 32sc!)very much more extravagant subjects kinda bo 105, hh-43 huskie,Lama, and so on....

Not sure your definition of "extravagant" with respect to most of those subjects.  I think the small size of most makes 1/48 (or Heller's metric 1:50) a more substantial scale for these subjects, which is more important to the average buyer than the modelers wanting consistent scale between subjects.  As for popularity if subject, the Bo-105 and Lama have worn numerous military and civil marking schemes to generate variety and potential interest.  Just look at all the EC-135/145 variants covered, and there are kits in all the "big three" aircraft scales.

As for the HH-43, it's a veteran of U.S. service in Vietnam which is almost always sufficient to justify a kit of even very obscure types.  I suspect if it were a simpler subject to engineer in kit form (angled intermeshing rotors, large glazed area) there would be even more of them available.

Compared to the Mil-28 with very limited numbers in existence, until recently with only one operator (that initially passed on ordering it), it's no mystery at all why other types have been a higher priority for kit makers.

I could see Trumpeter coming to our rescue with big versions of the Mi-28 and Ka-50 at some point, but I wouldn't hold your breath until they come out. 

You just have to look at the endless stream of Spitfires, Mustangs, BF-109's and FW-190's that the mainstream model-companies seem happy to churn out for years to see how risk-averse they are. I know that I am simplifying the situation and that the model-firms are in business to make money, but many of the companies are happy to just play the "variations on a theme" game. 

Chris. 

On 9/5/2020 at 12:18 AM, Blue Monday said:

The Tiger and NH90 are both hangar queens, by all accounts. It has taken years for the Australian Army to get the Tiger to a point where it is an operational aircraft. And they are looking for a replacement.

The availability rates for the NH90 are incredibly low at an average of 38% with an astronomical cost per flight hour!

There are some nice models of both types available in 1/72 but the real aircraft seem to be complete disasters.

LD. 

A NH90 and UHT Tiger is missing in 48 scale, if Revell and AIrfix can make those for us one day. There's a WIP Mangusta project but no any news today, the project still be alive?

• Like 1