Scammell 6x4 Heavy Breakdown SV/2S and Trailer 7 ½ ton Light Recovery

PhilHendry

spacer.pngBeing in possession of the Thunder Models SV/2S and Resicast Light Recovery Trailer, I am pondering the idea of making a combination roughly like those shown in the photos below:

spacer.png

Once upon a time, before I lost all my marbles, I’m sure I had a series of tables showing me the equipment held by various RAOC and/or REME Light Aid Detachments, Workshops, and suchlike - which would have furnished me with sufficient information to make a decent stab at deciding on a set of markings for such a combination.

Alas, though, my marbles have rolled away, and though I can find the kits and all the bits, the information is eluding me. Does anyone have details of where in the army’s organisation, during WW2, such a combination might have been found please? Once I’ve got that, I can sort out the markings pretty readily. (from at least 30/12/42, in 1st Army, 88 on black was the AOS for the senior infantry brigade workshop - later 88 on red, yellow, blue)

Thanks,
Phil

• Like 1

Thanks! Yes, you’re right - the body appears to be steel too, rather than made of wooden planks, and has that grab handle on top - all of which rather gives away that it’s not a Scammell - how did I fail to spot that? Anyway, that in itself is interesting, as it shows that there was a diversity of towing vehicles for that trailer besides gantry lorries and the Scammell.

I don’t recall having seen a Diamond T with that style of jib (which right now doesn’t mean anything, given my memory and that I’m away from my library), though the Mack LMSW definitely had it, though there were also twin-boom Macks too.

Edited by PhilHendry