Supermarine Swift FR5

Evening all.

Another of the lockdown completions, the fantastic Airfix Swift. Great kit....goes together really well. Always loved the Swift, shame it didn't reach its full potential and was overshadowed by the Hunter. 

Built completely OOB with my usual paints of Tamiya and Mr Hobby for the camo, and the best match I've found of Vallejo Model Air for the PRU blue (camera flash has made it look a lot lighter than it actually is) 

Thanks for taking the time to look, comments and tips anyways appreciated. Cheers 👍

IMG_20200825_182858

IMG_20200825_182917

IMG_20200825_182932

IMG_20200825_183051

IMG_20200825_182953

IMG_20200825_183105

• Like 58
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Superb, just started this kit.

What was the Vallejo number for that blue? Hopefully I've got it in my paint collection.

Martin

Thanks very much. You'll enjoy the kit... can't think of any fit issues at all? The blue was 71.109 faded pru blue. 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

It's a beautiful aircraft and a beautiful model as well! 😀  Great job sir!  :clap2:  I really don't know much of the history of the Swift but I'm inspired to learn more.  Is there a 1/48 version available anywhere?   Thanks for any info!  

Many thanks for the kind words. Yes it's a beautiful aircraft in my opinion...as striking as the Hawker Hunter. Unfortunately it didn't really perform well at higher altitudes and so the Hunter was a much more capable aircraft. However it did seem to suit the low level fighter reconnaissance role with later marks. I think the only 1/48 scale is probably the old Falcon Vacform? Maybe Airfix should do one to compliment their other British 50s jets?

• Like 2

Gorgeous,...... loving the PRU Blue undersides too. ... you`ve inspired me to dig out my part painted model!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolute stunner! I saw this very aircraft last week when we were on holiday down that way; had to have a quick trip to the Tangmere museum. Always loved the Swift, very interesting looking jet.

I agree a 1/48 one would be amazing. I might even be tempted to exceed my £30 limit for a kit if one comes out! An Airfix one to go with their Meteor, Hunter and Javelin would be fantastic wouldn't it, with the option of a silver 56 sqn F2 or the FR5 like this one. 

Beautiful little model that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Absolute stunner! I saw this very aircraft last week when we were on holiday down that way; had to have a quick trip to the Tangmere museum. Always loved the Swift, very interesting looking jet.

I agree a 1/48 one would be amazing. I might even be tempted to exceed my £30 limit for a kit if one comes out! An Airfix one to go with their Meteor, Hunter and Javelin would be fantastic wouldn't it, with the option of a silver 56 sqn F2 or the FR5 like this one. 

Beautiful little model that.

You do know how different the FR. 5 was from the F. 2 don’t you?😉

The F. 2 had a shorter nose with a small ranging radar antenna, early examples had a heavily-framed canopy with “solid” rear section, 4 ADENs, straight outer wing leading edges (no dog-tooth but the same sweep inboard as the FR. 5), short fin, fixed tailplane sand no afterburner.

For a kit manufacturer to contemplate tooling for all of those differences in one or two boxings would be a significant undertaking; most of the fuselage from cockpit front bulkhead to tailcone attachment can be common with a separate insert for the area around the gun bays, two different noses, two styles of canopy, two sets of tailplane, two fins.  The biggest issue is the outer wing: Airfix’s solution for the early wing on the Hunter works but it needs a fair bit of care.  For the Swift I’d suggest a common wing aft of the front spar skin joints with separate leading edges from root to tip for the different variants (which might give us a chance of an F. 1 or Mike Lithgow’s record-breaking WK198).

If Airfix do produce a kit of the Swift in 1/48th I’ll race you to the front of the queue🚀

PS: if you’re interested in the Swift Nigel Walpole’s “Swift Justice” and Mike Lithgow’s “Mach One” are both well worth reading if you can find copies.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2

Bnbrook 87 that’s a lovely model, no pre-or post-shading, no panel line washes and just a slight sheen just as it should be.  The only criticism, if that, is that the area hidden by the rear of the canopy when it’s closed should be black rather than in camouflage.  That is one model that I’d love to have on my display shelf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The only criticism, if that, is that the area hidden by the rear of the canopy when it’s closed should be black rather than in camouflage.

Thanks very much for the kind words. Much appreciated. 👍 Yes i left this one clean as the Airfix panel lines are well defined anyway so adding panel wash would have probably made them worse Regarding the area of the fuselage you mention it is actually camouflaged...the part that you see that is black is the 'coaming' or whatever that is attached to the canopy which slides back with it. All photos I've seen seem to show this as black i think?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, binbrook87 said:

Thanks very much for the kind words. Much appreciated. 👍 Yes i left this one clean as the Airfix panel lines are well defined anyway so adding panel wash would have probably made them worse Regarding the area of the fuselage you mention it is actually camouflaged...the part that you see that is black is the 'coaming' or whatever that is attached to the canopy which slides back with it. All photos I've seen seem to show this as black i think?

Thanks for that; I'm now off to recheck my references.👍

• Like 1

I'd like to add my compliments and say that this is a splendid build, if I may!

As a confirmed enthusiast of aeroplanes "with a fan up front", jets have never figured large in my modelling activities, even as a child.

However, I've been looking at the Airfix Swift lately and thinking I might indulge myself, and your build is just the inspiration I need!

Thanks for sharing.

With kind regards,

Mark