Airfix DH.88

bobster

This one just languishes in the garage (I have an SBS resin kit of the DH.88) and I have decided that as I have some white primer and a Tamiya rattle can of a suitable colour, I'll build this one in a blitz build, else it will probably never get built, or just binned at some point. I have filler ready too......

I have always fancied doing a Blitz build so here goes!

I'll take option 2 and build over Saturday/Sunday......what am I doing..... :)

50277915858_8d842acabd_c.jpg

• Like 11

After wondering why I am not building an Eduard kit this weekend (there is an idea for a GB, Eduard - Weekend edition, built in a weekend) instead of this 'kit' I have opened the cockpit out (mainly as the 'transparency' would not sit flush) and assembled the main parts. Plasticard used to fill big gaps and the wing joins will need quite a bit of 'filling'. It is a graceful looking aircraft though, so hopefully this kit will look ok (from three feet away) :) 

50282006766_26a372a3d0_c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I did one of these in the Airfix GB a while back. It nearly reduced me to tears.  Airfix really should have retired this one a long time ago.  However, it's a lovely looking plane, especially in the red scheme, so well worth a bit of effort.

Mine ended up more filler than plane, but once the decals went on I started to like the thing (a bit).

Have fun and good luck.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

After a bit more filler and sanding and re-priming I had got the red coat on or else I will not finish by 10pm tonight. I'll let the Tamiya red dry this afternoon and decal this evening.

50285816952_1ff3ec9359_c.jpg

• Like 5

Now that really does look good. It's hard to believe that's the Airfix kit.

The decals are far and away the best part of the actual kit, and a finish like that can only show them off even more, so it looks like you are on to a winner here. 

Don't expect too much in the way of canopy fit though. I thought Airfix had packed the one from a different model with mine.

54 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Now that really does look good. It's hard to believe that's the Airfix kit.

The decals are far and away the best part of the actual kit, and a finish like that can only show them off even more, so it looks like you are on to a winner here. 

Don't expect too much in the way of canopy fit though. I thought Airfix had packed the one from a different model with mine.

The canopy is a bit of a let down.....just applied some masks and ready to spray it, I am trying to just just have the decalling to do later this evening.

50285192903_c3c296f13e_c.jpg

19 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

That looks very nice indeed.

Is that a Lotus 107 I spy in the background?

You win a prize! It is a Tamiya Lotus 107 (Johnny Herbert). I must admit it has sat on the bench for a long time, I must finish it as the decaling went well with micro sol and set (and some patching here and there where the decals cracked). I bought it in '94/5 and then retrieved it from my parents loft about 5 yr's ago!

• Like 3

And after fitting the decals and swearing at the undercarriage, the Comet is finished, just in time! I'll add pictures to the gallery when I can take some photo's in daylight.

50287676571_0cfa795528_c.jpg

Edited by bobster
  • Like 10