Newbie here

wkw

Hi guys,

newbie says hi. 

I’ve been into modeling since I was a kid, mostly jets in 1/72. Haven’t worked on any aircraft model since high school. Just bumped into britmodeller and now I’m all excited and want to pick up a 1/72 item to work on. I went thru stuffs in my storage and located a F-4J from Fujimi, which I bought in the early 1990s’. Will start working on it soon and...hope the decals don’t act on me.

cheers 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mackem01 said:

Hi wkw and welcome aboard. Lots of like minded folk here to offer help and advice.

Enjoy, and looking forward to seeing that Phantom progress.

Thanks Mack for the warm welcome. 

I’m still in the research phase. I believe I need to right off the stock decal, which is unusable. 

I am considerIng to build one of those late J models from the 80s’,  when they are about to covert into S. I recall I have seen a picture of a USMC F-4J wearing TPS scheme (?VF-102) long long time ago and I am quite interested on this breed. 

Then again, plan B is to work on one from VMFA-333....

thanks

Hello WKW...:post1: from the great city of Chicago. Plenty of aftermarket decals out there if those fail. If you're not sure where to look for any ask us, and if you need help on the build we all are pretty friendly. I mostly do WW2 & Cold-war aircraft myself. 

Dennis

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello WKW...:post1: from the great city of Chicago. Plenty of aftermarket decals out there if those fail. If you're not sure where to look for any ask us, and if you need help on the build we all are pretty friendly. I mostly do WW2 & Cold-war aircraft myself. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Your generosity is highly appreciated. 👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

Hi, wkw.

Welcome to Britmodeller. I hope you have a great time here. It's a friendly and informative place to be. 

On the subject of the decals from your 1990's Phantom, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is VERY unlikely that they will still be useable. Unfortunately, once most decals are more than about 20 years old, they will probably just break up when they hit the water (long-tem storage temps and humidity are a major factor here).

You can try using some Microscale Decal Film to brush on to them before use, but even this is no guarantee (cue: dozens of angry Britmodellers saying they have used decals dating back to the Stone Age!). I would strongly recommend that you get hold of some aftermarket decals and save yourself a lot of disappointment.    

Anyway, my friend, enjoy your build!

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and great advice.

i do have prepared the kit decals are unusable. I have a few micro/super scale and repli decal sheets, which is around the same age as the kit sitting at home so I’m not putting my money on them. Then again, I will try using some of the stencils and see how things develop.

thanks again. 👍👍👍👍

2 hours ago, wkw said:

I have a few micro/super scale and repli decal sheets, which is around the same age as the kit sitting at home so I’m not putting my money on them. Then again, I will try using some of the stencils and see how things develop.

I use micro-scale sheets I bought in the 80’s and 90’s all the time. If they were stored in a cool drier place they should be ok. As @spruecutter96 says a layer of Micro-scale decal film work quite well. I just trim very tight to leave as little edge on the decal after that.