Airfix 1/48 Mosquito PR.XVI

I bought this kit more than fifteen years ago, and finally I started it this summer - and managed to finish it too! :)

spacer.png

This is a strange kit. It is based on the old - but still very good - FB.VI. from 1977, with new body, upper wings, engines and canopy added in the 90s or early 00s. This is not a sprue shot, but the parts that were left over after the build...

spacer.png

Most is OOB, since very little would be seen through the thick canopy, I did not spend a lot of work on the interior.

spacer.png

Fit was acceptable - not like the Tamiya Mossie, but still rather OK. Propellers and spinners are from a Tamiya kit, and all decals (apart from a few stencils) are from my spares box. 

spacer.png

I used Xtracrylics PRU Blue.

spacer.png

I must say that the old 70s parts (like the wheels and landing gear below) were better than those from the 90s (engines below). The latter were more crude and had a bit too deep panel lines. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I didn't do too much weathering, the PR.XVI's I have seen on pictures didn't seem to be too weathered. 

spacer.png

Of course, the model had its shortcomings. But still, a fun build, and the beautiful Mosquito looks great in this colour scheme! Thanks for watching!

• Like 63
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for sharing your Mosquito with us.  You have produced a great build and a marvellous Mossie, the PRU Blue scheme suits the Mosquito.

Cheers,

Zhizhou

• Like 2

Very nice indeed,...... I revisited this kit recently by building two of them, RAF SEAC & USAAF,.... and I struggled with the canopy fit on both of them,..... how did you get on with yours? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed,...... I revisited this kit recently by building two of them, RAF SEAC & USAAF,.... and I struggled with the canopy fit on both of them,..... how did you get on with yours? 

Thanks! I had the same problem, the bubble windows didn't fit. I think I managed to hide the imperfections a little, you have to choose between a correct fit on the upper side or on the lower side, so I decided to try to get a decent fit where it is most visible (if you take a closer look on the last picture, you can see that the lower part of left bubble window is placed a little inside of the rest of the canopy (if you can understand my bad explanation...). If I would build another one, I'd buy an aftermarket canopy. Or - more likely - I'd build a Tamiya instead.

• Like 1