Best place to post a "request/suggestion" thread?

wellsprop

Hi,

As I'm making a few more CAD designs, that I intend to offer as kits, I'm looking for more aircraft to design (designs that would have a decent amount of interest).

I'm wondering here would be the most appropriate place to put a suggestion thread? Would this chat area be best or would it not reach a wide enough audience?

I'd also like to add a poll if possible, to keep score of the most popular requests.

Cheers

Ben

i would say you would be best giving people a few options (say 10 designs youve found 3 views for) but also opening the floor up for other ideas. Perhaps using the Aircraft Discussion subsection (and the era) would be a good starting point. 

One thing you could do is create a 'Poll' as this would be a quick way to see which designs carry greater appeal. 

Any designs you think 'ooh, i wonder if that's been made before' you could run a search on ScaleMates - i think if its not been done in injection before and any resin kits are 15-20yrs+ old, you probably will have good grounds to consider designing. 

I will have to look for it again, but when looking for some data on the DO-26 model kit i picked up last year, i found a wonderful website with all manner of flying boats ive never seen available as kits, some really elegant designs, ill have to dig it out again but yeah, some of those 30's and 40s designs were really beautiful.

May also be worth trying to find what other 'makers' are focusing on so you don't duplicate efforts -  i think @LostCosmonauts is focusing on Cold war era British X-Planes and concepts,  im doing some 60's soviet designs (will get my build thread up i promise ;) ) and @Mig Eater seems to be doing some nice armored 'what if' designs too. - however there is so much out there waiting to be high detail modeled, you probably can find and an endless choice of potential candidates. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

May also be worth trying to find what other 'makers' are focusing on so you don't duplicate efforts -  i think @LostCosmonauts is focusing on Cold war era British X-Planes and concepts

Thanks, although I'm working through that general topic I'd not want to preclude others from working on the same area or list of planes (that may just be the anti-trust chip the corporate lawyers embedded in my brain back in my old life kicking in).

I'd have to concede the even the early images suggest that @Hole in the ground's Miles M.52 will knock my one into a cocked hat when it is done

Good point about the aircraft discussion subjection - that's where the people who are particularly interested in a certain aircraft will be lurking.

Hopefully it's ok with the moderators - I don't want to create a few threads which could rapidly spiral into "i wish i could have this model" topic - we've already got the rumourmonger and the (in)famous Airfix thread for that (I do love that thread though!).

Thanks for the heads up re-Miles M52 by @Hole in the ground, I was about to start that!

4 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Good point about the aircraft discussion subjection - that's where the people who are particularly interested in a certain aircraft will be lurking.

Hopefully it's ok with the moderators - I don't want to create a few threads which could rapidly spiral into "i wish i could have this model" topic - we've already got the rumourmonger and the (in)famous Airfix thread for that (I do love that thread though!).

Thanks for the heads up re-Miles M52 by @Hole in the ground, I was about to start that!

I've got one done at 1/72 and had sold a couple already from the FDM but don't have space at the moment to run a resin printer. if you want to save some work and collaborate I'm happy to scale mine up to 1/48. If you and @Kushan_Farsight have spare printer time I'm happy to share such files as I have and come to an arrangement on proceeds from sales?

@LostCosmonauts sounds good to me! - my comment regarding active projects and duplication was more because there is nothing worse than spending time on something to only see its been done before, especially when you embark on a project on the basis that your breaking new ground!  However, when considering multiple scales, different printing methods and different levels of final model detail, there is probably plenty of wiggle room for multiple projects on the same design to exist simultaneously.

what is @Hole in the ground 3d modelling in? those section views look CLEAN!

That link for interesting aircraft to consider is as follows - probably already bookmarked by half the BM regulars! -  
http://www.aviastar.org/index2.html  

also

http://www.airwar.ru/flybww1.html (this points to early era flying boats but theres so much more on this domain) - i use google translate and get about well enough! 

So for example this is the S-51 Flying Boat - beautiful looking craft but i think not even represented in kit form currently. 

siais51-c1.jpg

33 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

what is @Hole in the ground 3d modelling in? those section views look CLEAN!

That link for interesting aircraft to consider is as follows - probably already bookmarked by half the BM regulars! -  
http://www.aviastar.org/index2.html  

Looks like SolidWorks to me.

That links great, wasn't aware of that site!!!

On 28/08/2020 at 11:04, wellsprop said:

Hi,

As I'm making a few more CAD designs, that I intend to offer as kits, I'm looking for more aircraft to design (designs that would have a decent amount of interest).

I'll make a suggestion - The HAL Marut. I think there was a resin kit once upon a time, but I've never found one for sale and I'm surprised its not been done in IM as its rather cool. Kurt Tank's last hurrah!

I'm currently working on various modern civil designs in 1:72, with the Grumman AA-5 in late prototype stage. I don't expect any will be of mass market interest (PZL Koliber anyone?) but I'm having fun anyway!

2020-08-29_02-13-40

• Like 2