Gloster Gladiator Mk1

Very nice looking Gladiator, well rigged and the propellor is particularly nicely done.  If you look at Paul Schofields Shuttleworth photos in the photography section unless I am mistaken, I think you will find that the exhaust pipes go under the lower wing not over it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well spotted guys, just checked the instructions and yes I’ve somehow managed to get the exhaust pipes above the wings rather than below them. The engine block should detach quite easily so I’ll get that sorted.

regards

J.A.

• Like 1

That's a lovely Gladiator, got the same model on the bench at present, recently started and I'm enjoying it a lot......well, it's an ICM kit ! Who wouldn't !

Kit will be dressed as one of the Malta Gladiators.

Summer in the Chilterns........beautiful ! Did my gliding licence at Halton back in the day.

Cheers........Rog

• Like 1

Yes indeed a very good job! It turns out fantastic! Would be glad if mine will look half so good. 
I have two questions please. What material did you use for rigging? And the second is concerning the forward front cowl. Is it hot metal, or a special color? I saw a picture that looks as hot , burnt metal?

thanks for your patience!

all the best

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Andy

the rigging material is knitting-in elastic made by a company called Prym - much cheaper than EZ or other elastic threads and being colourless, gives the impression of being steel under lights rather than black. That said I used EZ fine elastic thread for the antennae. THe exhaust ring is a mixture of Alclad II colours, the base being brass with random oversprays of gunmetal, jet exhaust and burnt iron.

regards

J.A.

Superb work on your Gladiator, J.A - 

Nice clean, tidy work and expertly rigged as well - well done , mate!

As it happens, I'm actually working on the very same kit myself - I really hope comes out as well as yours once finished .................

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

And the second is concerning the forward front cowl. Is it hot metal, or a special color? I saw a picture that looks as hot , burnt metal?

thanks for your patience!

all the best

Andy

Yes, it's the exhaust gas collector and it got very hot. The heat did stain the metal a lot.

49527464918_93de8f978f_o.jpg

49527464873_d1babc6077_b.jpg

49495131047_36fea8b0e9_b.jpg

49494412868_a114212d76_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

Lovely job , i like it very much. Personally i wouldnt have bothered using decals that are out of register although as you say they are only slightly off.

The upper and lower wing roundels look to be ok , the port fuselage roundel however stands out like a sore thumb , if you are able i would change the fuselage roundels then you would have a real beauty on your hands .

• Like 1

Lovely job,..... I`m looking forward to building a few of these myself. Those markings always remind me of the old Matchbox kit!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

18 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Lovely job , i like it very much. Personally i wouldnt have bothered using decals that are out of register although as you say they are only slightly off.

The upper and lower wing roundels look to be ok , the port fuselage roundel however stands out like a sore thumb , if you are able i would change the fuselage roundels then you would have a real beauty on your hands .

I wouldn’t have used them either Keith if I hadn’t already started to apply them. Not sure what you’re looking at on the port side as there is no problem with the roundel there - there is meant to be a white ring or a gap separating it from the blue/yellow flash. The fault is with the wing flashes where there is a thin white line along the rear edges.

A lovely model well built and finished ! . Done mine in 1940s desert scheme with ICMs figures , and used Aims rigging set .

Have you found that the weight of the model is bending the stub axles , causing the wheels to bend inward slightly ? ,

mine did , so I carefully bent them out again , gave the stubs a coat of cyano and left it to set overnight , sorted .

The ICM plastic does seem a bit soft , do you find ? .

Don .