T-47 Air Speeder (Snowspeeder), Paper Model

Time to start a new paper model and I want to keep it the same scale as the Y-Wing I have just completed. The T-47 is an iconic craft from the Star Wars universe and a really interesting shape, quite looking forward to the challenge of trying to get it looking good in paper!

I have collected a number of images from the web to look at the craft in different angles, cockpit, landing gear.... The finished model will be around 100mm long scale wise 1:55 approx. The reason for this is I do want to build an AT-AT Walker in paper at some point and may need to think of the size!

Airspeeder 1

The front, back, top, bottom and side profiles are in the 3D programme and I am starting to model the basic shape. As I create the shapes I am constantly thinking about how this shape would unfold in paper, you have to be aware of this otherwise you may create complex shapes that you will end up re-modelling later on, it saves a lot of time to go at a steady pace. The thinking process of the shapes would be different if it would be used in 3D art, 3D printing etc....

Not much to look at but it will take shape over the next few weeks!

For those who wish to have a go themselves there are a number of videos on you tube , there are a couple I found useful so let me know if you would like me to post the links. 

Edited by Stephen W
Added an extra tag
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Konrad Popławski said:

Wow. Please share more pictures from bulding the snowspeeder shape proces. What program do You  use? I know Rhinoceros. Is it simmilar?

I use 3DS Max but you can use which ever programme you are happy with. Not tried Rhinoceros before, have tried blender and a few other but I tend to come back to the one I know where the buttons are! 

A small update since Friday and I think I am happy with the basic shape now and it should turn out well in card. I think I lost a number of hours going backwards and forwards with making the wing sections look good.

render 1

render 2

• Like 4

Another bank holiday, teenagers in bed and the lovely lady that unfortunately does not get bank holiday off is working....what to do.... more modelling it think!

Started playing with the underside first thing today so I can get the detail right there before I move on before concentrating on the top part! Here is a render of where I am so far...

render 3

I prefer to have my models stand on landing gear so found a few image references to give me an idea of what to model. 

• Like 1

Final detail on the bottom, added some extra fins in the air intake, moved the rear section back a little as it looked a little off and modelled the rear section with fins. :) 

render 6

render 9

Really pleased with how it looks now, I remember getting a toy one of these for Xmas when I was a kid and played with it constantly until it broke! 

• Like 3

Spent a few more hours today modelling the shape and detail on top.

I am making the main laser canons/ engine sections twice as it’s easier to do this then rotate them onto the model for rendering.

I did come across another issue, the main barrel of the tow gun at the rear will be about 1mm in diameter which will be fun making out of paper so I may use plastic rods for that part. As you can see it’s taking shape nicely.

render 16

render 17

render 18

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have finished the model on the computer and am happy with how it has turned out. 

render 23

The next part of the process is to UV unwrap the model so I can paint the textures in Photoshop. I tend to use a flatten map or unbox map for most sections. The next image shows a UV template rendered. 

wingsskin

I can use this template to paint the colours, detail, dirt/grime in Photoshop and the following image shows the UV template attached to the model so you can see how it starts to look. 

render 25

Edited by Stephen W
  • Like 4

Another very small update, as with most models the painting tends to take time. 

Currently concentrating on the wing sections and it comprises of  15 different PS layers from base colours, top colours, dirt, grime, grease, scratches etc...

render 26

render 27

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another week and another couple of pic’s. Luckily at this stage of the model 3DS Max has a good real time view so as I paint the texture in PS I can see how they look in 3DS once saved, if I don’t like it I can delete the layer and start again.

Very similar to in the real world this does take some time... 

render 28

render 29

...as you can see I am onto the next section which is the main cockpit, canopy and seating!

The next update may be some weeks away when I have painted the full model so I can talk about the process of bringing it into the real world using the software and paper/card. Stay safe everyone and “Stay Modelling”!

Edited by Stephen W
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been around a month and I think the painting in Photoshop is finished! 

Finished Perspective2

Finished Perspective

Finished Front

Finished Side

Finished Top

The next part of the project is to bring the finished model into the real world!

As mentioned before I use a bit of software called Pepakura Designer to flatten the model so it can be printed on paper/card. With more complex models such as this I tend to break it down to smaller parts to make it easier to work with. I export to 3DS format, open in Pepakura, add the texture that I have designed in Photoshop to start the process.

I'll share some screen shots as I go from Pepakura. 

• Like 3

Another Sunday and another update :)

I have started importing the model into Pepakura which allows me to unfold all the parts, lay them out so I can print onto card stock. As before I will use 230gsm paper/card. 

The image below  is from Pepakura, once unfolded you can choose to include tags/flaps, the size of them  and cut/fold lines. I tend to remove the tags/flaps from smaller parts to make it easier to shape when building. With most models there are parts that are not needed, usually this is because they are too small. You can always build up the thickness of small parts by overlaying them onto another piece of card/paper. 

Pepakuraunwrap

Once I am happy with the final layout I export it as a bitmap file and import into Photoshop for some final tweaks. 

CockpitSection

The next update should be a few weeks away once I have completed the layout for all the parts and printed them. I use a standard colour printer onto 230gsm card for most projects. 

Hope you enjoy the update and the build so far!

Stay safe and stay modeling!

Stephen

Edited by Stephen W
  • Like 3

Looking absolutely fantastic! 👍

Might have to have a go at paper modelling myself sometime, your last build has been an inspiration... I've used Photoshop for business for the last 20 years but don't think I'd be able to engineer something like this.

Edited by SMD70
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2020 at 09:46, SMD70 said:

Looking absolutely fantastic! 👍

Might have to have a go at paper modelling myself sometime, your last build has been an inspiration... I've used Photoshop for business for the last 20 years but don't think I'd be able to engineer something like this.

Thank you :) 

Give it a go, I find it quite rewarding and start off with something simple and build from there.

• Like 1

Managed to get some modelling time in over the past few evenings :)

First image is taken with the cockpit made.

50542303821_c52e29ba7d_b.jpg

Next one is where I have created the seat and also coloured the fold lines to blend them in to the print colour.

50541578133_342d8cda5c_b.jpg

and the final image of the built cockpit and canopy. For the canopy glass I have used laminate sheets which gives a useable clear glass effect. 

50542301151_804c545a93_b.jpg

I may add a bit more detail to the cockpit layer but for now I am happy how it has turned out :)

Hope you enjoyed the update.

Edited by Stephen W
  • Like 4

Had the day off work today so managed to put some more hours in :)

50547906277_f86788de75_b.jpg

The main fuselage is taking shape with the cockpit enclosed, once this was done it was time to add the wing sections.

50547906207_8e8251a024_b.jpg

50547906292_8452caf5d5_b.jpg

I thought I would show a 20 pence coin for scale. The blue sections are guides for some panels and I have cut the canopy so it will stay open. 

Hope you enjoy the small update :)

• Like 4

I like the way it's coming together. I love the little AT AT on the screen, great detail. 

The 20p coin helps too. It's smaller than I thought. I imagine it could be printed out to a larger scale though?