Corsair F4U-1a cowling flaps

Luka

Hello all,

I am building "Big" Jim Streig's Corsair, but it seems his plane does not have the top cowl flap(s) fixed (see pic). My question; how many flaps were normally faired over/fixed in position to counter the oil leak issue?
Thanks in advance

spacer.png

• Like 2

Stealing from a post on LSP, in April '44 the USN ordered all F4U Corsairs to have a reinforcement plate screwed over the top 3 cowl flaps. When -1A was produced the top 3 flaps were screwed down at the factory however the reinforcement plate was fitted over these later as the screwed down flaps were ripping off in flight. HTH

TRF

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info!

Although it is not the answer I like, it is the answer I need. It seems like the top narrow-wide-narrow flaps are the ones I'm looking for, which means the kit flaps are just incorrect (which I already suspected) and the aftermarket part I have lacks those three flaps. Looks like some cowling surgery is needed either way.
"Doctor Luka to the operating room.."

• Like 1

Interestingly, the top cowl flaps were locked down on the early F4U-1s in the field according to directive, whereas the later F4U-1As for VF-17 had them open when they embarked on Bunker Hill. They remained open while serving in the Solomons. Only the replacement aircraft arriving around early January 1944 had locked down flaps, e.g. Ira Kepford's famous No. 29. There are several good pictures in "Fighting Units in Color - VF-17 Jolly Rogers" No.3 and No.4 by Jarski/Kolacha, AJ Press, 2012 (2 excellent magazines on VF-17!) that show the open flaps.

Vector offers a good 1/48 replacement part for the flaps (together with the cowling front ring, as far as I remember).

When building Streig's No. 3, please note that the star & bars didn't have a red surround but had them painted over with intermediate blue in all four positions.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2