RAF 1965 two option build

qn30jEkPz7

Looking through the stash for suitable long weekend kits I’ve been eyeing these two kits at the top of the to-build pile both of which I owe thanks to kind Britmodellers

@Des pulled me out of a hole with a replacement set of decals for the badly yellowed and cracked Frog originals

50275462143_305a67cfc9_b.jpg

@Ray S also was kind enough to rescue me with some decals for this Lightning F1A snap together kit as the originals are rub-on transfers

50275462158_65cb847585_b.jpg

Mulling them over I’ve twigged that both scheme choices are from 1965 so what to do...

Shackleton? Lightning? Go tonto and try to do both?

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Shackleton? Lightning? Go tonto and try to do both?

You know what they say - do both!

Whichever you choose will be good! You cannot beat a Lightning or Shack!

All the best,

Ray

PS I keep telling myself not to use exclamation marks so much!

• Like 1

If OOB on both them why not be a hero. Having build the Snap-Fix Lightening recently it's easier and quicker to build than the current Airfix Quickbuild models. Anything beyond OOB will take significant work on both to get reasonable models and you might quetsion your sanity regarding the Shack'. However I would love to see the Shack in the gallery on Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

If OOB on both them why not be a hero. Having build the Snap-Fix Lightening recently it's easier and quicker to build than the current Airfix Quickbuild models. Anything beyond OOB will take significant work on both to get reasonable models and you might quetsion your sanity regarding the Shack'. However I would love to see the Shack in the gallery on Monday.

tbh my sanity was already firmly shattered during the last Blitzbuild GB when I tried to do an overcomplicated red/white masked scheme. I might start both with the intent to finish the Lightning and a stretch goal of the Shackleton

3 hours ago, Ray S said:

PS I keep telling myself not to use exclamation marks so much!

I tell myself the same about using hyphens as punctuation and ending sentences with ellipses. I should cut down - on the other hand maybe not ...

• Haha 3

The use of performance enhancing substances is not encouraged in a GB, Co-co and chocolate digestive biscuits not withstanding, therefore i believe the Shackleton is only to likely to appear in the next KUTA GB.

I would be delighted to eat humble pie if it makes the gallery.

Good luck 

cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

Honestly, how hard could it be? It’s basically only two colours on the outside and the odd bit of surface detail to try and not make too big a mess of

Starting in Blitz style with glueing the major sub assemblies so that I can paint in sections. Fuselage half used as a jig to keep things in place while they set

50281379807_288bd4dce0_b.jpg

Aha! A snag or two awaits. Rivets go over these lumps on the tailplane but they look like moulding errors. Ummm... what to do? 

50280537553_bda2bd1f89_b.jpg

Almost forgot the time picture - started about 10 past the hour but what is half an hour here or there between friends

50281221221_43c545edae_b.jpg

Subassembly gluing progress. They can set and hopefully be ready for some filing, sanding filling etc. when I get back from picking up a guitar what was being repaired

50281221256_3d1ca1f7ba_b.jpg

• Like 3

Sub assemblies going ok, finale of the cycle race was a corker

50281742812_99efce0443_b.jpg

Short intermission to make some minestrone soup for lunch and fish about in the spares box looking for flat transparencies to cut down to replace a couple of missing pieces (don’t you just love old kits) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

La Course cycle race running on the laptop beside me so my Saturday looks set up nicely 

Oh darn I forgot about that one!

A bit of an attritional slow stage in today’s day 1 of the TdF but the Shack is going apace

Minestrone with an instruction sheet tablecloth

50282553047_2567d5fd9f_b.jpg

Cockpit was devoid of details so I’ve scrabbled about in the decal spares and busied up the dash before sticking the sides together

50282393536_95b9749d93_b.jpg

Not glued the flying surfaces on yet but looking something like a (very large) plane

50282553252_652a74231a_b.jpg

• Like 2

Good going on this one. I think I would have baulked at building a Shack in 24 hours and remembering to post pictures of watches and food too!

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Good going on this one. I think I would have baulked at building a Shack in 24 hours and remembering to post pictures of watches and food too!

All the best,

Ray

I’m going to have a bloody good go at the Lightning as well. Shack is mainly together and I’ve stopped for the day so I’ll do some filling when I start again first tomorrow then turn my attentions Lightningwards. Hopefully get them both done with the Bank Holiday Monday

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Wow and I thought I was  clever boy building a 1/48 kit,superb start!

Clever would assume I actually get them done without making a mess of either. Let’s see how it goes by Monday.

As it stands at end of play today

50282073013_1f3b78fa1f_b.jpg

Now to make dinner (pizza, sweet potato fries and salad) & catch the highlights of the Kilmarnock game

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Power up your watch chap.

“Shhhhh! There’s still 2 or 3 days charge on that. Where’s the harm?” he typed on a phone on its knackered 2nd replacement battery showing 29% and falling rapidly.

• Haha 1

Not looking likely that I’ll get the Lightning done - a bit of a fight on my hands with the Shack today with motors needing drilled out to fit the prop shafts and some distortion of the parts.

I hope to live up to the high standards of historical accuracy set by the box designer

50285879773_7d95d844a7_b.jpg

Some jiggery-pokery today trying to paint the white section, prime other bits and fill others. Constrained time is meaning any bit that isn’t drying is fair game for other work to happen

50286708817_9dfbd570a1_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 4