More Spitfire 22 questions - D type roundels

Tony Whittingham

Hello All,

Is there a Spitfire 22 camouflage and markings diagram available anywhere? It seems to me that the roundel size for the low back Griffon Mk. 18 and Mk. 22 Spitfires are different from the wartime sizes. There’s a photo of TP235 in the Aircam book that leads me to think that 30” D type roundels were applied. Also some evidence of the smaller roundel in the photo of 2 squadron at Wahn in the same book. 

regards,

TW

In theory the standard roundel size should have been 36" in all six positions... however there were several examples of Spitfire of various marks with different sizes. A combination that seems to have been common was 45" on the wings, 32" under the wings and 36" on the fuselage. I wouldn't be surprised to see other variations, particularly immediately after the introduction of the post-war roundel

If similar to  Mk 21, the camouflage drawing of Mk21(13.1.1944) indicates 32" at underside, 49" at topside and 36" on fuselage.

spacer.png

36" at under & upperside

30" on fuselage (roundel without yellow border)

spacer.png

Edited by BS_w
  • Thanks 1

@BS_w

Thanks, very much!

Thats the one! I’ve just finished the build today, so your timing is perfect!

I can’t quite read the centre line to Roundel centre dimension on the 1949 drawing. Would you be so kind as to let me know what that is?

thanks, and regards,

TW