### Fail ### 1/48 Supermarine Attacker FB.2

Jb65rams

Having built small 1/72 aircraft & 1/72 armour in previous Blitzbuilds, thought I would test myself this time with a larger kit. So a rummage through the stash has produced the following.

spacer.png

Will be built OOB with the exception of a replacement resin seat. Just to make it more interesting I will be folding the wings. 

The plan is do do the 'Other Option' starting on the Saturday. Aim is to get the sky on by end of Saturday to give overnight drying time before masking for the EDSG. The plan is complicated by the fact there is the Tour de France starting, the Belgian GP (+support races), 2 Indy car races and the BTCC taking place over the weekend.

Edited by Jb65rams
Title updated
  • Like 4

1st update. Not off to a good start, woke up an my back is bad today, will limit the time I can spend at the bench, so going to switch to the Scottish Option over the three days.

spacer.png

Spray the cockpit parts and seat black. Wing tips cut off to install the wing fold.

spacer.png

Also need to explore the decal options, as i just noticed that the decals my preferred option has had different serials under the wings (WZ283) to that shown on the fuselage (WP283). 

• Like 5

Almost 8 hours in I am calling it a day.

I seem to have spent more time watching the F1 qualifying and the tour.

Cockpit details before inserting into the fuselage.

spacer.png

Fuselage buttoned up.

spacer.png

Progress at the end of the day. Intakes added. Not photographed but I have also masked the canopy.

Tomorrows jobs are to add the belly fuel tank and prime. Aim to get the sky painted.

spacer.png

Off for a thai curry now.

• Like 5

Gloss Coated and decals applied. Lost one of the stencils, it just folded up on it self and I was unable to salvage it.

I believe the underwing serials are undersized, thought I had some larger lettering, but was unable to find them so had to go with the kit decals.spacer.png

• Like 2

FAIL.

With an hour to go, went to add the final details and ran into not one, not two but three issues.

1. The aftermarket seat is too tall, the canopy won’t fit. The simple solution was to cut 3mm of the bottom of the seat.

2. One of the undercarriage legs collapsed. Revised with superglue, hoping that will fix the issue.

The final issue is terminal in terms of completing within the timescale.

3. Went to look at attaching the folded wingtips, discovered I had messed the painting up  - sky on the top surface and EDSG on the bottom. Could have bodged it to meet the timescale, but wouldn’t have been happy with the result. I will need to strip them and repaint. 

So have decided to call it a day, and open a beer or two, and finish it in my own time.

Thanks for an enjoyable GB, enjoyed watching everyone’s builds.

• Sad 2

Good decision - I thought I had loads of time and only just made it - Murphy loves the Blitzbuilds. 🤫

Look forward to seeing it completed at some stage - KUTA GB perhaps?

• 1 month later...

Just to let everyone know, I did finally finish this. Stripping the wingtips and repainting was reasonable quick, but had to send away for replacement roundels.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Although I didn't finish in time and I ultimately happy with the finished build.

• Like 6