Renault RE20 Turbo

Hi Ron that's a very sad end indeed im gutted for you. So I have an offer for you to consider. You can have my 1/12 Porsche Jagermeister free of charge mate a kit you know very well and finish off what i started. I have no current plans to continue with it my interests have moved on i would just need a few days to get organised and it will be in the post. I'd rather the kit go to a good home but if it's not for you I'll simply post it on ebay 🙂👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hi Ron that's a very sad end indeed im gutted for you. So I have an offer for you to consider. You can have my 1/12 Porsche Jagermeister free of charge mate a kit you know very well and finish off what i started. I have no current plans to continue with it my interests have moved on i would just need a few days to get organised and it will be in the post. I'd rather the kit go to a good home but if it's not for you I'll simply post it on ebay

That, sir, is an extremely generous offer!👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Aaahh, Ron....such a shame for it to end that way, so close to the finish.

It was a fun ride and an education to us all. Thank you, Sir.

Glad you found it useful mate :)

1 hour ago, Pouln said:

That’s a really sad outcome. after all your efforts. It should not end like this. 

A sad outcome it was Poul...but it has given me a renewed passion  to find and do another F1 as soon as I can.

Regards to you  both

Ron

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Hi Ron that's a very sad end indeed im gutted for you. So I have an offer for you to consider. You can have my 1/12 Porsche Jagermeister free of charge mate a kit you know very well and finish off what i started. I have no current plans to continue with it my interests have moved on i would just need a few days to get organised and it will be in the post. I'd rather the kit go to a good home but if it's not for you I'll simply post it on ebay 🙂👍

A very generous offer Andy...afraid...having done one years ago...it no longer appeals...and you can recoup your outlay easily on  Ebay :)

Thanks for thinking of me.

1 hour ago, kpnuts said:

Such a shame, was an epic build.

And an enjoyable journey...many thanks for kind words and comments throughout :)

27 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

That, sir, is an extremely generous offer!👍

Indeed it is.

Cheers

Ron

5 minutes ago, PROPELLER said:

How many cats destroyed models?
But we love cats... an dogs. Hopefully my dog don't jump on my workbrench!

Dan.

A first for me Dan...but of course we love them no matter what...and...funny enough...a visiting  friends dog made a meal of some kit wheels a few years back...oh the joys of being an animal lover :)

Hi Ron.

Further to AndyJ's kind offer (he beat me to it, actually, lol)... I have a 1/12 Tyrrell 003 Monaco version with PE set that's begging to be built and "Silverised" if you'd be interested, mate????? I know that I'll never build it........

Cheers, H

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harveyb258 said:

Hi Ron.

Further to AndyJ's kind offer (he beat me to it, actually, lol)... I have a 1/12 Tyrrell 003 Monaco version with PE set that's begging to be built and "Silverised" if you'd be interested, mate????? I know that I'll never build it........

Cheers, H

Pm sent mate :)

Aw shucks! I was just reading through the build from page 8 (and enjoying it) as I've had little time lately...  what misery! I'm sorry for what happened, like you said, life playing tricks on you. I hope you'll find something else to work on so we can enjoy your skills once more!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Aw shucks! I was just reading through the build from page 8 (and enjoying it) as I've had little time lately...  what misery! I'm sorry for what happened, like you said, life playing tricks on you. I hope you'll find something else to work on so we can enjoy your skills once more!

Thanks Jeroen...and yes...another build is on the cards in the near future :)

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Bloody hell Ron, I've been rewiring the kitchen over the last week ready for the new one to go in and I've not been on the site much and I come back to this news 😒

I'm gutted for you that you didn't get to finish it as I've really enjoyed the build and have learnt a lot of useful tips, I hope you get something sorted soon and show us some more :) 

Ian :) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Bloody hell Ron, I've been rewiring the kitchen over the last week ready for the new one to go in and I've not been on the site much and I come back to this news 😒

I'm gutted for you that you didn't get to finish it as I've really enjoyed the build and have learnt a lot of useful tips, I hope you get something sorted soon and show us some more :) 

Ian :) 

Ah the joys of a new kitchen eh mate :)

Have no fear..." 'I'll be back " 😉

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 12:47 AM, silver911 said:

Well...this is a difficult one to explain!

First off...life has a habit of stringing together a series of events that...inevitably...lead to a disaster of some kind and...in my case...it involved...shaky hands...poor eyesight...and a cat!

To explain...with fading light...and a desire to finish a very awkward assembly stage...I decided to take the engine over to the window for a better look in what remained of the day's natural light...bad move 🙁

Afore mentioned sleeping cat met silly old git's foot...and...after recovering my senses...this was the net result...ooopsie!...

IMG-5796.jpg

Fortunately the cat was un-harmed 😄

So much for education...although the entertainment value is there...here endeth the lesson.

Thanks to all who followed and enjoyed the ride...your comments and likes were greatly appreciated.

Respect to all.

Ron

That'll polish out

But seriously, if you can'trepair and build the kit as it was meant to be, perhaps you can salvage the bits for a 'what-if' sci-fi or steampunk build?

Pappy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 9:26 AM, Andy J said:

Shame it doesn't appeal to you, Ebay it is then all the best 

Regards Andy J 

if you forwarded the proceeds to Ron, he could replenish his fitting & oil paint stocks for our next tutorial!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, s.e.charles said:

if you forwarded the proceeds to Ron, he could replenish his fitting & oil paint stocks for our next tutorial!

You have a strange sense of humour not impressed with this comment 🤨

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Oh no! I’ve just spent the last 2 hours or so studying, reading and admiring from around p4 where I stopped.

interestingly enough - I stopped because a new... kitten entered the household and I had decided to put my current build - the aforementioned Tyrell 003 Monaco on hold for the winter.

As with the others - as much as I love what you have done, I’m so in awe of it, it makes my efforts feel quite inadequate!

If you do make the Tyrrell - I’d love to see a thread and what you do with that.

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Andy...and never feel inadequate...trust me...there are many I feel the same way about when it comes to seeing their work.

I have always been a cat person...I love their independence and attitude :)

Whilst the Tyrrell may not make it to the bench...have a look at my 312T build on here as further evidence of my insanity 😱

And please do a thread on your 003.

Thanks for comment...much appreciated.

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text

Thanks, I will catch up on that thread. I’ll be interested to see your engine as I did take some inspiration from your techniques and test them on a spare flat 12 312t engine I have (I might have shown you it in a PM). Obviously I didn’t have the skill or experience to use the oils but I was layering and trying to create a similar effect. Unfortunately I couldn’t decide on a suitable base colour for the DFV. That’s my first task.

I will certainly think about doing a thread. I take a lot of pics and share with a friend by WhatsApp/ iMessage but I often find that if I finish work at around 5, all of a sudden its midnight and then 1am and I’m still working at the workbench - so thst leaves little time to post! 🙈.

The thread would probably be more in the camp of ‘this is what I want to do, this is how I think I could achieve it, had anyone got any other ideas’ rather than a master class like this. The scratch building comes more naturally as I’ve done a few o gauge brass locos in the past and it’s very much a make do and mend sort of build, but on the weathering and panting side I’ve got a lot to learn!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, A_S said:

Thanks, I will catch up on that thread. I’ll be interested to see your engine as I did take some inspiration from your techniques and test them on a spare flat 12 312t engine I have (I might have shown you it in a PM). Obviously I didn’t have the skill or experience to use the oils but I was layering and trying to create a similar effect. Unfortunately I couldn’t decide on a suitable base colour for the DFV. That’s my first task.

I will certainly think about doing a thread. I take a lot of pics and share with a friend by WhatsApp/ iMessage but I often find that if I finish work at around 5, all of a sudden its midnight and then 1am and I’m still working at the workbench - so thst leaves little time to post! 🙈.

The thread would probably be more in the camp of ‘this is what I want to do, this is how I think I could achieve it, had anyone got any other ideas’ rather than a master class like this. The scratch building comes more naturally as I’ve done a few o gauge brass locos in the past and it’s very much a make do and mend sort of build, but on the weathering and panting side I’ve got a lot to learn!

In my refs of DFV's...they vary greatly in colour...a common factor being the are always a dull colour...almost a grey...as opposed to shiny metallic's...almost a white grey in some cases...and an interesting challenge for the painter.

As for posting...you could set aside the first hour of an evening session to post the work from previous days etc.

With so much knowledge and help available on here...asking for ideas would reap a host of such...especially from the F1 guys...I know I have been the recipient of such help on my  312T build...and it has helped me achieve a better result.

Also...you will only ever learn by trying things out...showing your work...and benefiting from the response of other like minded members.

Ron

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oh no!! - just got one of these so have been doing to some research looking at how others have tackled it and enjoying your build.   Really sorry that it'll never be completed - was looking forward how you were going to tackle the masking of the body...

oh well...

• Like 1