Renault RE20 Turbo

Ron, with 20 people following and over 5200 visits in just more than a month, you have made quite an impact with this project.

I think here's why; you have successfully (although not finished yet) crossed that Rubicon between 'scratchbuilding' and 'model building', something I attempted a few years back. Uniquely, you have added superb art finishing skills to those other two. The result has become 'reality' in 1/12 scale. I think this may be  the premier F-1 build in this scale here on Brit. I have no doubt you could do it no matter the subject and indeed I know you do this routinely in the figure world.

But this Renault looks as though it were assembled on the shop floor the night before a race. That speaks to your 1:1 hands-on mechanical background too.

I'll get off my soap box now :phew:  but not before pressing you to bring us at least one more (or many as you want) such masterclass projects in replica model engineering.

You have a legion of disciples who are learning with your every move. :worthy:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Codger said:

Ron, with 20 people following and over 5200 visits in just more than a month, you have made quite an impact with this project.

I think here's why; you have successfully (although not finished yet) crossed that Rubicon between 'scratchbuilding' and 'model building', something I attempted a few years back. Uniquely, you have added superb art finishing skills to those other two. The result has become 'reality' in 1/12 scale. I think this may be  the premier F-1 build in this scale here on Brit. I have no doubt you could do it no matter the subject and indeed I know you do this routinely in the figure world.

But this Renault looks as though it were assembled on the shop floor the night before a race. That speaks to your 1:1 hands-on mechanical background too.

I'll get off my soap box now :phew:  but not before pressing you to bring us at least one more (or many as you want) such masterclass projects in replica model engineering.

You have a legion of disciples who are learning with your every move. :worthy:

I am not sure how to respond to such words Mr C...high praise indeed coming from a 'Classic' builder of such high note.

What I would say is this...here on Brit there are a legion of builders...many far better than me...however...we all share the same passion...that of taking something 'inanimate'...and marking it as a personal vision of our own reality...whether that involves scratch building...metal forming...or...as is becoming common now...the use of 3D/CAD work...all of which keeps this hobby alive for those coming after us.

In my mind...the main reason this build has interest for others is the techniques I use to put my personal mark on my work...most are happy to stick to the basics...still producing superb work I must add...where as...I take my inspiration from what I see...and try to replicate that.

With a background in print...working with colour each and every day...being a classically trained oil painter...learning the airbrush back when it was just becoming affordable...and having a penchant for breaking all the rules...you could say I have an advantage many do not.

I guess for me it has always been the challenge of 'mimicking' reality...taking a piece of plastic and creating the illusion of metal or cloth in the viewers eye...that for me is the key...if the viewer is 'fooled'...then you have achieved your goal.

As for another build...life will make that decision...but I am up for it :)

Respect

Ron

• Like 2

With the air valves and weights made...a bit of careful drilling and gluing later...

IMG-5793.jpg

And the inners given a bit more dirt/wear...

IMG-5794.jpg

Time to mate them with the wheels...

IMG-5795.jpg

These will be purely for show with the finished power plant on the base.

Ron

• Like 5

You have consistently raised the bar with this build and comments are barely adequate.

A fine member posted in my Rolls thread today a kind compliment but he apologized for having 'nothing to add'. I believe that's the situation here for you; many look and learn but feel they are unable to attain this skill level or present meaningful dialog. I also believe that like me, you put your work on display so that comment and constructive criticism may also be a learning experience for you.

Success or tragedy, you do a great service by bringing us what is always your best effort.

I greatly appreciate that, even though I can't 'add anything' approaching your level. :shrug:

• Like 3

Like the Ducati topic, the current build clearly showcases your talent and feel for realistic weathering finishes. I enjoy reading through the topic, a smile of approval often on my face. I realize I reply too little to fine topics such as these but per this post I'd like to show my appreciation. 

Technically, nothing to add (which says something, I often have something to nag about anything that could in my view be subjected to only slight improvement... such sentiment not necessary here). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Codger said:

You have consistently raised the bar with this build and comments are barely adequate.

A fine member posted in my Rolls thread today a kind compliment but he apologized for having 'nothing to add'. I believe that's the situation here for you; many look and learn but feel they are unable to attain this skill level or present meaningful dialog. I also believe that like me, you put your work on display so that comment and constructive criticism may also be a learning experience for you.

Success or tragedy, you do a great service by bringing us what is always your best effort.

I greatly appreciate that, even though I can't 'add anything' approaching your level. :shrug:

I fully understand your point of view...and your reasoning regards comments...however...I do not regard myself as 'being on another level'...just having a 'different approach' to many...and the skills I have for finishes and effects are attainable by any who choose to try them.

When you mention 'raising the bar'...and if you are referring to my use of 'after market' fixtures/fittings/cable and hoses etc. ...then those too are available to all of us...although many choose to stick with the moulded connection points and kit screws...I choose no to.

When it comes to 'meaningful dialogue'...yes...comments and criticism serve a useful purpose to the builder...especially one with fading eyesight and shaky hands...but...I understand that some are reticent to offer such for fear of offending.

Your thoughts and insight are valuable to...not just me...but the whole forum...and present a window onto the mindset of modellers everywhere.

Respect

Ron

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Like the Ducati topic, the current build clearly showcases your talent and feel for realistic weathering finishes. I enjoy reading through the topic, a smile of approval often on my face. I realize I reply too little to fine topics such as these but per this post I'd like to show my appreciation. 

Technically, nothing to add (which says something, I often have something to nag about anything that could in my view be subjected to only slight improvement... such sentiment not necessary here). 

First off...great to see you back Roy...I for one have missed your work and input :)

I am pleased you consider the 'finishes' realistic...and a huge compliment you find no room/need for improvement technically speaking.

Thank you for taking the time to read through the thread and commenting...much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

17 hours ago, Codger said:

I greatly appreciate that, even though I can't 'add anything' approaching your level.

That hits the nail on its head. I am often in awe of what you (Ron) produce, but feel that I cannot add anything other than show my appreciation, which I sometimes do in words, but most often in likes.
Be sure that you provide lots of entertainment, education and most of all, ideas for alternative methods to achieve a certain goal. At least for me. Judged from the number of readers and the responses I’m sure that this goes for many other BM followers.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Pouln said:

That hits the nail on its head. I am often in awe of what you (Ron) produce, but feel that I cannot add anything other than show my appreciation, which I sometimes do in words, but most often in likes.
Be sure that you provide lots of entertainment, education and most of all, ideas for alternative methods to achieve a certain goal. At least for me. Judged from the number of readers and the responses I’m sure that this goes for many other BM followers.

No need to be in'awe' of my work Poul...you are every bit my equal...as are a great number of others on here...none the less...your words are deeply appreciated...as are the many likes you have given this build :)

I earnestly believe my techniques and finishes are well within the reach of others...and I am always willing to answer questions and offer advice to those who would like to try them.

As for entertainment and education...that's Mr C's role 🤣

Regards

Ron

Well...this is a difficult one to explain!

First off...life has a habit of stringing together a series of events that...inevitably...lead to a disaster of some kind and...in my case...it involved...shaky hands...poor eyesight...and a cat!

To explain...with fading light...and a desire to finish a very awkward assembly stage...I decided to take the engine over to the window for a better look in what remained of the day's natural light...bad move 🙁

Afore mentioned sleeping cat met silly old git's foot...and...after recovering my senses...this was the net result...ooopsie!...

IMG-5796.jpg

Fortunately the cat was un-harmed 😄

So much for education...although the entertainment value is there...here endeth the lesson.

Thanks to all who followed and enjoyed the ride...your comments and likes were greatly appreciated.

Respect to all.

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Sad 6

Perhaps leave it be for a week, then have another look at it. It's usually better repairable than it would seem at first glance. 

All those hours you put into it... perhaps three hours of saving work if you're luckier than you were. Don't give up on it just yet..

• Like 1

What a terrible misfortune. I do hope you will find the spirit and motivation to try and save this.

such a shame to have it end like this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiny said:

That's such a shame - is there no hope for rescue? I hate to see so much hard, good work go to waste.

Next time let the cat take the fall - it'll still have 8 lives left ;)

2 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Perhaps leave it be for a week, then have another look at it. It's usually better repairable than it would seem at first glance. 

All those hours you put into it... perhaps three hours of saving work if you're luckier than you were. Don't give up on it just yet..

1 hour ago, Pouln said:

What a terrible misfortune. I do hope you will find the spirit and motivation to try and save this.

such a shame to have it end like this.

Thanks guys...but sadly there was no way to repair the damage...what the pic doesn't show in detail are all the bits that had broken off of the main pieces you can see...trust me...there was nothing salvageable apart from some fixtures/fittings/cables and hoses...the rest of it was not worth the stress or effort.

All I have left is the 4 wheeels/tyres...the 4 main pipes from the exhausts that I hadn't even tried to fit yet...and the 2 intake headers I rebuilt with ali tubes etc.

I had to be realistic and accept it as one of life's little jokes :)

Thanks for kind words and support chaps...means the world to me.

Regards

Ron

24 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

Well then, what's going to be your next project? :) 

Better to look forward than back. 

For the foreseeable future...nothing sadly...living on just the state pension I don't have any funds to spare...another of life's little jokes 😶

• Sad 1