Renault RE20 Turbo

Outstanding and the clear fuel lines most realistic and period correct. The fittings especially well done.

Include a tool or something for size reference in one photo next update please. I'm afraid this is tiny-er then I'm guessing. More credit to your craftsmanship but I'd much rather see this work in 1/8....:wall:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Codger said:

Outstanding and the clear fuel lines most realistic and period correct. The fittings especially well done.

Include a tool or something for size reference in one photo next update please. I'm afraid this is tiny-er then I'm guessing. More credit to your craftsmanship but I'd much rather see this work in 1/8....:wall:

Sadly...I was unable to 'tint' the fuel lines as I had wanted to do...these are made of silicone (extra soft and flexible) so refused to take paint or inks 🥵

The fittings on the injector end of the fuel lines are 1.2 mm (ID 0.8 mm) if it helps...but...I will put a ruler in a couple of pics with it Mr C...just for you :)

• Thanks 1

Right...first some pics as promised for Mr C...gives a better idea of the actual size...strangely enough...it's almost 50 mm square !...

IMG-5628.jpgIMG-5629.jpgIMG-5630.jpg

A few more bits needed added or replaced details.

First the brake air scoops...which had moulded rivets that were very awkward to avoid in cleaning up the join lines...so...easier to sand them off along with the joins...then replace them with 0.5 mm brass rivets...

IMG-5573.jpg

With that done...a quick coat of satin black...then after a couple of hours drying...some light wear was dry brushed on...

IMG-5612.jpgIMG-5613.jpg

Next up was the oil tank...and for this part I used my usual technique of oils over an acrylic base...then a pin wash of a very dark brown (oil paint)...

IMG-5597.jpgIMG-5598.jpg

Then mounted on it's sub frame...

IMG-5615.jpgIMG-5618.jpgIMG-5619.jpg

Then I used the same technique for the air reservoir...

IMG-5596.jpg

Lastly...the two brake hubs...satin black base with some wear dry brushed for effect...Note: I always vary the wear on pairs of parts...simply to avoid repetition...which spoils the overall effect IMHO

IMG-5611.jpg

Next post will be the primary exhausts.....

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Before I post this update...let me just say this...metal finishes and effects are notoriously difficult to photograph...more so with models...and harder still with only a phone camera...so I apologise for the pics in advance.

First stage after priming in grey was a scrub coat of Old Holland Neutral Tint...thinned back after 20 minutes and left to stand for an hour...then given a scrub coat of OH Sepia Extra...which was thinned back after 30 minutes...then left to dry for 72 hours.

Exhaust2.jpg

Note:...as with my metal base coats...I never use just one shade and...certainly...for the result I wanted...required a number of shades of acrylic...plus a further layer of oil paint...you can see the colours used in the following picture...along with the brush and make up sponge stick...which I use to 'buff' the acrylics between each colour....with all of the acrylics being 'stippled' on for greater control...and as a guide to the sort of effect I was after...I used this picture as a reference point...

1.jpg

IMG-5582.jpg

All the acrylics are from Scale75's Metal n Alchemy sets.

First colour I used was Thrash Metal...which was lightly applied to lay out the main area's of base metal...

Exhaust3.jpg

Then came Viking Gold...a heavier stippling this time...as there is a lot of yellowing to the metal in the ref pic...and was then stippled over with Dwarven Gold for added depth...

Exhaust5.jpg

Fourth shade applied was Cobalt Alchemy...to introduce some 'blueing' into the metal...this at first appears to cover the golds...but this is where my previously described 'bleeding' of colours that have not dried comes into play...

Exhaust4.jpg

Last shade of acrylics was Amethyst Alchemy...to enhance the previous blue shade...followed by a gentle dry brush of OH Italian Brown to bring back some of thge golds/yellow metals...

Exhaust6.jpg

As I said at the start...these pictures do not truly reveal the range of colours in the finished pieces...but I hope it they at least give you some idea.

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 9

Your work is exemplary but you overlook this simple fact; virtually NONE of us have the range of colors (or 'palate') that you have in your head. We can write down every single color and finish you mention but there seems to be a thousand more in your brain we don't know about. This is NOT a rant - this is high praise and recognition for your years of diligent study and experience.

So I suggest we all send all our models to YOU for finishes. :devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2020 at 7:30 PM, Codger said:

Your work is exemplary but you overlook this simple fact; virtually NONE of us have the range of colors (or 'palate') that you have in your head. We can write down every single color and finish you mention but there seems to be a thousand more in your brain we don't know about. This is NOT a rant - this is high praise and recognition for your years of diligent study and experience.

So I suggest we all send all our models to YOU for finishes. :devil:

High praise indeed Mr C...although...working with colour every day for 47 years in the print and at the bench at home kinda gives me an advantage...and being one for breaking the so called rules...is yet another advantage...I always say "rules are constraints on creativity".

Not sure I have enough paint...or years left...for such an undertaking 🤣

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

The first picture of your most recent post appears to have left the building Ron.

I love your engine so far, keep up the good work!

Not sure what you mean about a missing picture mate?

But pleased you like the engine so far :)

1 minute ago, silver911 said:

Not sure what you mean about a missing picture mate?

I see a large blue square which says "image not found or removed" ... it's above the reference pic. Apparently you don't see this square as it's hard to miss 🙂 ... real strange. 

3 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I see a large blue square which says "image not found or removed" ... it's above the reference pic. Apparently you don't see this square as it's hard to miss 🙂 ... real strange. 

Strange indeed!

I removed it and reinserted it again...let me know if you see it now mate?

So...a few more bits detailed with fittings and rivets etc. ...

IMG-5645.jpgIMG-5646.jpg

IMG-5654.jpg

On the brake caliper's above...each one had the piston wells opened up...the brake line fitting added...and four rivets added (two at each end) for the pads.

Next up...after the paint finishes had dried...time to start putting some of the many pieces together at last.

First the wheel hubs...discs/calipers and drive shafts...

IMG-5664.jpgIMG-5666.jpgIMG-5667.jpgIMG-5668.jpg

Then it was time to add a couple more bits to the gearbox...suspension sub frame and canister...drive shafts...

IMG-5671.jpgIMG-5672.jpgIMG-5673.jpgIMG-5674.jpg

Then came one pair of the exhausts...

IMG-5655.jpgIMG-5656.jpg

Finally...some of the suspension arms...

IMG-5669.jpgIMG-5670.jpgIMG-5675.jpg

Another set of parts are awaiting priming...when the weather improves.

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, Codger said:

A good body of tedious work now coming together into sub-assemblies. :phew:

Shame you're not doing the whole car...:rolleyes:

I have a number of bits in various stages...but waiting on some bits to arrive now...

IMG-5676.jpg

If the fit of some of these parts is anything to go by...whole car would have beaten me!

• Like 3