Renault RE20 Turbo

Finally got the distributor done today...then...with that fixed to the main block...it meant I could mount all the remaining belts and pulley's...all very time consuming...but adds a bit more depth IMHO...

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg1d.jpg1e.jpg

Next on the main block will be the fuel lines and fittings...then fix them and the plugs leads to their respective locations.

But...whilst waiting for the glue to set...I returned to the gearbox...adding the rear frame and a couple more fittings...along with the two oil lines from the main housing...and the air starter...which I will detail paint tomorrow. 

2a.jpg2b.jpg

Final job for today...lay in some shades on the exhausts...all four pipes received some fine weld lines...then a few mist coats of primer...

3a.jpg

Once the primer had set it was time for the first shade...a basic dark brown/grey...applied and thinned back as per my usual technique...

3b.jpg

I left this for a couple of hours...then applied a scrub coat of a very dark brown/blue mix...

4a.jpg

After an hour I thinned this back gently...taking more off in some areas than others...much like real exhausts...

4b.jpg

I will allow this to dry completely (48 hours)...then give it a seal coat of matt varnish...in preparation for the next stage.

Ron

• Like 9

Fantastic stuff Ron. The engine looks like a larger scale. Always the sign of excellent modelling. Are you getting a bit more used to 1/12 now? That gearbox is looking particularly amazing. That dull cast off-black finish is superb.

Phil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kpnuts said:

All looking amazing (though I would expect no less)

My old mentor would say..."The expectations others have of me...will never exceed those I have of myself" :)

It helps when people comment mate...spurs me on.

Cheers

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text

41 minutes ago, PHIL B said:

Fantastic stuff Ron. The engine looks like a larger scale. Always the sign of excellent modelling. Are you getting a bit more used to 1/12 now? That gearbox is looking particularly amazing. That dull cast off-black finish is superb.

Phil.

1/12 is nothing new to me Phil...I built almost all Tamiya's F1's back in the dim and distant past...dinosaur that I am :)

As far as is possible I have followed my ref pics for finishes and effects...along with fixtures and fittings of course...and that includes the gearbox for one...as you can see in the pic...

31.jpg

You might like this...but if you get an unsafe warning just ignore it and choose continue to site anyway...it's just their certificate has not been renewed yet.....https://www.project935.doodlekit.com/gallery/683

Ron

• Like 3

A small update...with the distributor cabled up...it's time to think about how they enter the cam covers...and this picture presented me with a real challenge...how to come up with something close...

30.jpg

Looking through my stock I managed to find some suitable elements that would work...some brass tube was cut to short lengths (ruler is in mm) for the plug leads to enter...with the screws serving as a post to fix to the cam cover boots...

IMG-5551.jpgIMG-5549.jpg

CA was used to glue the brass to the metal eyelets...and once they were all set...a dusting of primer...

IMG-5553.jpg

Not a lot to show for four hours work!

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 5

Today's session was yet more detailing on the gearbox...oil lines...breather hose and fittings etc.

IMG-5554.jpgIMG-5555.jpgIMG-5556.jpgIMG-5557.jpgIMG-5558.jpg

Having run out of black primer I decided to sort out the primary oil tank...although the pipes and some bolts were moulded on...me being me...there looked to be room for some improvement...so...first off the moulded pipes were removed and replaced with aluminium tube...then welds were added and...finally...the moulded bolts were replaced with metal ones...

IMG-5561.jpgIMG-5562.jpg

A trial fit on the support frame to make sure it all fitted as it should...

IMG-5563.jpgIMG-5564.jpgIMG-5565.jpg

Lastly...some detail colour on the previously made lines and air starter...

IMG-5559.jpg

Another day of little to show for the hours it took...but that's modelling I guess.

Ron

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Codger said:

You're getting a nice collection of sub assemblies. I imagine the difficult part is handling small finished bits without damage. And your glue work is incredibly clean.

Hat off to you for that skill :phew:

Very true Mr C...I have had to replace some fittings due to handling breakage during the build...all part of trying to add so much detail.

Let you into my secret with glue work...super thin CA and capillary action...then a swift wipe with a cotton sponge stick to remove the excess 😉

• Like 1

Got the plug lead ends and cables fitted...even managed to label them in their firing order (as per ref pics)...very fiddly...but worth it IMHO :)

IMG-5566.jpgIMG-5567.jpgIMG-5568.jpg

Next up for some fun...decided to add a metal strap + 0.6 mm nut and bolt to hold it...again...as per ref pics...then added a fitting to replace the kit pin...

IMG-5569.jpgIMG-5570.jpgIMG-5571.jpg

Back to cleaning and prepping/priming for a few day's now...

Ron

• Like 12

Plug leads are virtually indistinguishable from ref shot above.

I think you may be setting a new high bar for 1/12 detail, not on an MFH kit. Those are the only ones that come to mind that yield these results. And those bits are all in the kits - not scratch built as you have done.

Am I the only one that thinks this is exceptional work ?? :frantic:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

Absolutely not, Chas.

Work of the highest order, Ron......as we have come to expect from you. Keep it up, Sir; I'm thoroughly enjoying the journey.

Cheers, H

To keep up with the times....@me too

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Absolutely not, Chas.

Work of the highest order, Ron......as we have come to expect from you. Keep it up, Sir; I'm thoroughly enjoying the journey.

Cheers, H

Thanks for compliment H...and pleased your still enjoying the journey :)

Afraid it's less about my painting techniques at the moment...and more about detailing...if I had stuck to the kit instructions for painting and assembly it would have been finished by now...but...me being me...can't do OOB or showroom...just doesn't do it for me.

Heers

Ron

• Like 1

We are so lucky that “you are you”. If that was not the case, the learning experience for us would be way too thin.

Do submerge us with your wonderful and beautiful additions (and painting techniques, of course).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pouln said:

We are so lucky that “you are you”. If that was not the case, the learning experience for us would be way too thin.

Do submerge us with your wonderful and beautiful additions (and painting techniques, of course).

You are too kind Poul :)

I will keep it as entertaining as I can...and there will be more techniques soon in the build...once I get past the detailing stage.