Bedford Recovery Truck - DNF

JeroenS

I have primed the chassis using the airbrush and Mr Surface black. At least I know I have black paint everywhere, impossible to do with a rattle can. 

20200829181735-e2168882-me.jpg

I have some more parts drying in the shed, painted with the rattle cans. Hope they turn out OK, I haven't painted with cans in a while, I find I'm a bit heavy with the paint sometimes. Now, dinner!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

Just saw four different Bedfords including this one, the tanker and the drop side in North East Model Centre.  Don't know if they're also on their website but worth a quick look.

Andy

Now you said you were going shopping Andy - but you never said you were going to my second favourite model shop - it's a great place for tons of stuff & I haven't been out much - post Co-Vid - but when I finally get the chance to get back on the road again this will be on my journey plan.

Best regards - Steve

• Like 1

Ok final shift for today. 

20200829192857-e560f9ea-me.jpg

My black fenders and front turned out fine.

20200829192857-7adc4fbd-me.jpg

The cab, in blue, not bad, bit of orange peel, I can probably sort that. 

20200829192858-c1150948-me.jpg

However.. this is terrible, it hurts just looking at it 🙂 

20200829192857-a837f8d0-me.jpg

Definitely will have to do something about that! I'll sand it back tomorrow and carefully build up the paint again. Too bad, but it is what it is. Maybe I'll have time for weathering, then I'll just cover it in dust if it doesn't look right 😄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

OK I'm done for today... no more modelling! 

Final score: a black chassis (really, there's black paint on the black primer 🙂)

20200829202129-bb6694ad-me.jpg

Wheels stripped of red paint and re-primed after I fell for the ol' "hey this red paint is not covering" trick... 

20200829202129-14c68083-me.jpg

I'll do better tomorrow.

And finally a start on the cab's interior. 

20200829202128-ac545ecd-me.jpg

For tomorrow: finish and paint the interior, assemble and paint the "recovery" part of the truck. Paint wheels. Fix paint error on left side of bonnet. Decals. Assorted stuff like mirrors. 

Done. 

Should be feasible! See you in the morning!

Edit: oh and maybe paint the engine a little bit, time permitting. Not really a priority as it will not be seen. But still. 

Edited by JeroenS
Afterthought....
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, JeroenS said:

No, they're getting harder to find.

I think they might have been re-released as Hannants have quite a few in stock - bit more expensive than when they were first released though! 

Some tremendous work done today Jeroen - it would take me a couple of months to get that much done!

Keith

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Just saw four different Bedfords including this one, the tanker and the drop side in North East Model Centre.  Don't know if they're also on their website but worth a quick look.

Andy

Thanks I looked. Not the type but good to know these are around.

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I think they might have been re-released as Hannants have quite a few in stock - bit more expensive than when they were first released though! 

I see, there are quite a few indeed. No mention of re-release on Scalemates though, could be they found an old dusty pallet in the back of the warehouse 😉 

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Some tremendous work done today Jeroen - it would take me a couple of months to get that much done!

Normally, it would take me quite a bit longer too! But it seems that when you do it all in one push it goes faster... good way to burn through the stash 🙂 ... 

However... as the saying goes: Budget, Time, Quality... pick two!

Bright and early and all systems go! 

20200830071240-7727f30c-me.jpg

The neck is a bit sore, wouldn't want to be doing this every weekend but for now I'm having fun. I burned through a whole bunch of parts yesterday. For today, parts remain for cab and crane. As you can see I'm not overly concerned about the "load bed" (if you call it that on a recovery truck). It's one piece fits all!

But first, I'm going to set about fixing my paint no-no on the bonnet.

• Like 2

Well that wasn't too bad! I wet sanded the offending blob, being careful not to burn through the paint. Which is not difficult as there's lots to go around 🙂 

20200830072601-2d3e008b-me.jpg

I'll wet sand with a finer grit and spray on the colour a little bit at a time and she'll be alright. 

Onwards!

• Like 1

Time for breakfast pt. 1... No greasy stuff for me in the morning please.... Just some thick yoghurt with a bit of apricot "confiture" (as they say in France) for taste. 

20200830073649-afb3c6b3-me.jpg

Oh and a cafeine pill... I can't stand the taste of coffee but I like the cafeine very much 😇

One assembled cab, a chromed front and breakfast part 2, cumin cheese on toast. 

20200830093530-678373d8-me.jpg

I will paint the seats separately, better access to both seats and interior. Couple of small touchups needed on the chrome. The Molotow is easy to apply but equally easy to screw up. I should have done this yesterday, it would have allowed the chrome to dry some. 

20200830093529-d0d3973d-me.jpg

• Like 4

Recovery body and tool chest assembled. 

20200830102531-df7f5e5a-me.jpg

The only thing left to assemble is the crane. So I'll go and do that, and hope the weather has improved by then because up to now it's been very wet out. Which of course is nothing like was forecasted yesterday 🙄

• Like 1

The rain let up for a while so I ran outside to try and do some spraying. At least the wheels are now ok-ish. 

20200830112343-8b1e179d-me.jpg

The center parts will be black but that will be done by brush. 

I got to put primer on the sub-assemblies and I thought I'd give the cab body another go.... hm... I think humidity was still a bit too high, it doesn't look nice. I'm going to give the cab a wet sanding all over and try again this afternoon. 

• Like 4

Been working on the crane assembly. 

20200830120841-63b548b4-me.jpg

Going to check out for a bit now, my sister is visiting, she doesn't live very near by so we don't get to see her that much. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Your putting us all to shame with this. When are you starting the next one?

Well... I think I'm going to have to postpone painting and final assembly until tomorrow, although it's a work day for me. Today's weather just sucks. 

I have 7 build hours left, but just so we're straight... does another build start another 24 hours for that build? Or is it max 24 hours for all builds together?

14 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I have 7 build hours left, but just so we're straight... does another build start another 24 hours for that build? Or is it max 24 hours for all builds together?

You have 7 build hours left on the Bedford, but if you start another one then you get your full 24hrs, but cut off Is midnight Monday. 

• Like 1