Bedford Recovery Truck - DNF

JeroenS

This crane is a really cool piece of model kit. 

20200830145034-2369b986-me.jpg

20200830145034-3f95cc6b-me.jpg

20200830145033-12eeefd3-me.jpg

So that's assebly done. After painting, a piece of rope needs to be threaded through it and 2 hooks will be attached. 

I'm going to wet sand the cab and paint the seats and do the rest tomorrow when the weather will be better. 

• Like 2

Checking out for today. Seats brush painted. Hoping for better spraying weather tomorrow.

20200830160103-4360767c-me.jpg

What's pretty nice about these kits by the way is that sprues are included for multiple version, I'm assuming because some parts are shared. For instance, this kit contains sprues for the SWB tipper: 

20200830160104-d9117993-me.jpg

The tanker kit contains sprues for SWB dropside truck. Pretty nice to have parts like this in the spares box. 

• Like 5

OK guys, we're off for a final push. I went home a little early (and I wasn't working from home) to try and finish the Bedford today. Mainly paint and final assembly. Temperature and humidity are well within normal operating range and I'm even warming up the cans this time. So it's definitely my own fault if things go south 😉  

I'm going to rub down the cab first. It looks fine from this distance but it's actually pretty crappy if you look a little closer.

20200831144628-c276145e-me.jpg

• Like 3

A little under 3 hours left and finally painting is finished, except for the toolbox cover and some smull stuff like mirrors and such. 

20200831172316-e0958789-me.jpg

I am very happy with how the crane turned out.

20200831172317-0abd75f4-me.jpg

The truck itself is ... acceptable for a build this speedy. 

20200831172316-cee77800-me.jpg

The chequer plate is now black but will be drybrushed with aluminium. I'll let this cure for another hour or so and then give it a careful polish. It will be a close finish, that's for sure. 

• Like 7

Thanks guys. This is 24 hours in, I'm afraid it's close but no cigar... What you see here is mostly semi-dry-fitted. The cab interior has been glued to the chassis, but the cab body is not. You can see a gap where it needs to be glued to the radatior. I'm not sure about the position of the fenders in relation to the cab body, there's a bit of a gap there. But the fenders are in the correct position I think. I'll have to check it out more carefully, I was on the verge of forcing stuff so then I decided to take a breath and stand back. And accept my failure... well don't worry, I don't think of it that way, it was a good run 🙂 ... It would have been in the stash for years to come and now it will soon be in the cabinet. 

20200831201112-39932a78-me.jpg

It just needs a couple of hours more to sort things out and finish stuff like decals and mirrors and such. Plus the crane doesn't have its ropes yet. 

20200831201111-834d7732-me.jpg

20200831201112-6b27e1b8-me.jpg

The paint finish could have been better, but let's just call it a "period finish" 🙂 ... I do like the colour scheme I chose, the red wheels and crane make for a nice contrast. 

I painted the checquer plate aluminium, it needs a bit of work, some drybrushing with gun metal or something, to make it look more convincing. 

Thanks all for the comments, I had a great time, I'll keep an eye out for the next Blitz. 

• Like 7

That looks fantastic so far. If it was mine I'd also take the time to give it the finish it deserves instead of rushing. I'll keep an eye out for it in RFI 😊

Andy

• Like 1

• JeroenS changed the title to Bedford Recovery Truck - DNF