1/48 Avro 707A

wellsprop

Next up,

The mini Vulcan!

Fuselage surfaces complete this morning, it's very simple as the fuselage is symmetrical (near enough) about the horizontal plane. The nose isn't quite symmetrical, but it was no problem at all to model.

The wing's shouldn't present much of a challenge either, the aerofoil is incredibly simple too, it's a modified NACA 0010, let's see how I get on.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Next up,

The mini Vulcan!

Fuselage surfaces complete this morning, it's very simple as the fuselage is symmetrical (near enough) about the horizontal plane. The nose isn't quite symmetrical, but it was no problem at all to model.

The wing's shouldn't present much of a challenge either, the aerofoil is incredibly simple too, it's a modified NACA 0010, let's see how I get on.

Ben

You've got my attention.

• Like 1

This afternoon, we had a huge thunderstorm which knocked out our internet (how does that happen?), so I was unable to work on my remote desktop!

What it did mean, is more time to make CAD models... The basic shape is complete, next I need to tackle the canopy and intake, both of which are going to require some surface modelling wizardry.

• Like 2

The upper surface wing panel lines are in! I'v got to repeat the process for the bottom wing (there is no common mirror plane as the mirroring surface twists both along span and chord, CATIA can't deal with this). Then it will be on to the fuselage and tail!

• Like 5

Looking very nice! Like the panel detailing too. are you achieving this by doing some kind of extrusion/cut of lines from a drawing created in plan view that acts as a 'pattern'?

Think i may have to get a build thread started if nothing else to stop the 3D Makerspace becoming 'WellsProps Digital Aircraft Assembly Line'!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Looking very nice! Like the panel detailing too. are you achieving this by doing some kind of extrusion/cut of lines from a drawing created in plan view that acts as a 'pattern'?

Think i may have to get a build thread started if nothing else to stop the 3D Makerspace becoming 'WellsProps Digital Aircraft Assembly Line'!

I use three different methods for creating panel lines, depending on what the geometry allows, I outlined these methods in this post :)

Haha, I must admit, I've been almost non-stop since I got access to the makerspace a few weeks ago - I've suddenly realised the potential of a CAD license and 3D printer - plus, the weather has been dreadful, so I've had little else to do!

Ben

• Like 1

ah excellent i had missed that particular post in that thread, have seen it now and i think im looking at using a similar approach, on my software im using a 'Lighten' tool which is used to effectively cut elements out of a model. The approach of offsetting the surface is a neat one and ill have to give it a go, but can see that working well for some more complex bits. 

I think CAD+3D Printer opens up a whole realm of possibilities only limited by patience and build plate size! 

27 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I used Hunter legs all round for my 1/32 jobbies. Got a 707B in the works.

How much for yours, Ben?

Ooh, not thought about that - I wonder if there are any after market options (resin 3D printed undercarriage aren't very strong!), much better to use hte resin parts as a pattern for brass undercarriage.

Provisionally, it'll be £55 (including free UK postage). I still need to print the first one off to "prove" the print which may throw up some changes (hence a possible price change up or down).

The difficulty with this one is it's a BIG model (at least for a small 3D printer) and it's going to take 3 days to print!

9 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SAC48367?result-token=gjQKI

Hunter mainwheels are too big as per SAC's other set. I used the MiG wheels on my kitbash.

They look very good and very similar to the 707 undercarriage - though I'm not 100% sure about the torque links, the 707 at Manchester has no torque links.

The wheels aren't an issue, I can print those! Your kitbash was fantastic :)

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:18 PM, wellsprop said:

Just need to get the parts ready to print now :) (and get some people interested in buying one!)

Hi Ben, count me in for a copy. I'm currently on a experimental/protoype trip so your Avro 707 would fit nicely into such a collection.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84