Model Airplane International

pacificmustang

9 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi everyone, Happy Christmas!

This is an unusual situation, not unique, but rare. There is no informal anti-toe-treading mechanism. Alas, unlike OPEC we are not a cartel and sadly lack their wealth too!! :)  At Scale Aircraft Modelling, we rely on the honesty of the contributor and do remind them that submissions to any magazine or publisher are done on the clear understanding that the same piece has not been submitted to another publisher. 

The AH-64 was published in SAM because our Aircraft in Profile writer was hospitalised with COVID, so we needed to include some extra articles. It is unfortunate that this was also in another magazine, but the responsibility in this instance lies with the contributor I'm afraid.

As for its content, the writer did say he was trying to do minimal changes I think. As many modellers would probably build the kit 'as is', I think it is occasionally good to see a model built just like that. Although I can also see how something that's not totally accurate will annoy the heck out of those 'in the know', so my apologies if you felt it was A Patchy Apache … My solution as ever of course, is to ask you to contribute! :)

Cheers

Jon Tabinor

Assistant Editor
Scale Aircraft Modelling
Guideline Publications

Oh well its not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things, the build was fine just not I would say inspiring because of its accuracy. I'm more disappointed that I've effectively paid twice for it like a few other customers because a contributor has obviously not been honest. Apart from that I have no issues with the way SAM is heading, its certainly in a far better place than it was a few years ago ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Greg B said:

Oh well its not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things, the build was fine just not I would say inspiring because of its accuracy. I'm more disappointed that I've effectively paid twice for it like a few other customers because a contributor has obviously not been honest. Apart from that I have no issues with the way SAM is heading, its certainly in a far better place than it was a few years ago ;)

Hi Greg, yes in a year of many "interesting' things, it is not huge.  I'm very happy you like the way SAM is going too. We do aim to get the right balance.

cheers

Jonners

• Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 11:21 AM, Flankerman said:

There is no such magazine......

It's either ......

Scale Aircraft Modelling (published by Guideline Publications)

or...

Scale Aviation Modeller (published by SAM Publications) (which, worryingly says 'Address Not Found' when I click on it...(?)

Have a Happy and Safe Christmas...

I was told that their web or facebook pages had been hacked and SAM Publications had to move elsewhere? Just before Christmas. 

Sam Publications doesn't exist and have not for some time hence why the link does not go anywhere. 

The original owners sold to MA Publications and they are new owners of Model Airplane Monthly (MA) and Scale Aviation Modeller International (SAMI) - their website or even Facebook have not been hacked; this was Guideline Publications who publish Scale Aircraft Modelling (slightly confusing). Their Facebook page got hacked and couldn't recover it - the hackers replaced the admins, and due to Facebook policy being the Admins have to restore rights... you guessed it, they could not get their page back, so it had to be closed down. They have a new page all up and running. @Jon Kunac-Tabinor will probably be able to explain this a little better, but that's the nutshell!

But SAMI and MA are not owned by SAM publications anymore MA Publications - https://www.modelaircraftmag.com

(ps @Jon Kunac-Tabinor SAM definitely headed in right direction - SWMBO got me a subscription this year as part of my pressies... :yes:)

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 2

On 12/31/2020 at 11:11 PM, tonyot said:

I was told that their web or facebook pages had been hacked and SAM Publications had to move elsewhere? Just before Christmas. 

On 1/1/2021 at 1:08 AM, treker_ed said:

Sam Publications doesn't exist and have not for some time hence why the link does not go anywhere. 

The original owners sold to MA Publications and they are new owners of Model Airplane Monthly (MA) and Scale Aviation Modeller International (SAMI) - their website or even Facebook have not been hacked; this was Guideline Publications who publish Scale Aircraft Modelling (slightly confusing). Their Facebook page got hacked and couldn't recover it - the hackers replaced the admins, and due to Facebook policy being the Admins have to restore rights... you guessed it, they could not get their page back, so it had to be closed down. They have a new page all up and running. @Jon Kunac-Tabinor will probably be able to explain this a little better, but that's the nutshell!

But SAMI and MA are not owned by SAM publications anymore MA Publications - https://www.modelaircraftmag.com

(ps @Jon Kunac-Tabinor SAM definitely headed in right direction - SWMBO got me a subscription this year as part of my pressies... :yes:)

Hi Chaps, yes that's correct  @treker_ed. We were hacked and then locked out of our admin, so had to start afresh with a new page, named 'SAM - Scale Aircraft Modelling'.

Just as clarification:
Guideline Publications Ltd are the-owners and publishers of Scale Aircraft Modelling, which has no links to Model Airplane Monthly (MA) and Scale Aviation Modeller International (SAMI).  (I do appreciate it can get confusing!)
Model Airplane International is published and owned by Doolittle Media Ltd, who also own and publish Tamiya Model Magazine International in the UK. 
Airfix Model World is owned and published by Key Publishing Ltd.

There will be a short test later :)

Cheers, and I'm glad your are enjoying the mag!

Jonners

• Like 4

The reason why we have two magazines with such similar and confusing titles dates back to 1993 when the original publishes of Scale Aircraft Modelling ()SAM) , Hall Park Publishing I think, went out of business. The magazine re-emerged under new management (although with Alan Hall still in the background) after a gap of a few months but in that gap, a new title had emerged called Scale Aviation Modelling International (SAMI). 

• Like 1