Swathe of new 4K printers on the way...

JeffreyK

I was eyeing up the Phrozen Shuffle 4K but being big, expensive and usually out of stock I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of smaller, lower priced 4K printers appearing.

- Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k https://phrozen3d.com/products/sonic-mini-4k-resin-3d-printer-phrozen#description

- Elegoo Saturn

- Anycubic Photon Mono X

Even though I'm perhaps slightly biased in favour of the Phrozen Sonic and they have a pre-order discount going, I'll still wait for comparison reviews coming later in the year for making an informed decision...

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Also, mono 2k printers being announced to, like the Anycubic Photon Mono 2k.

The mono screen giving increased speed and reliability.

The 4k screen giving bigger build plates.

I get that the small beds are limiting so many are interested in the 4k printers but I don’t think I can justify the price, so I will be very interested to see what the mono 2k printers are like.

Cheers,

Nigel

Anycubic have just announced (formally) a bunch of new printers:

Photon Mono - $210 already announced; 6", 2K mono screen, Mars-style bucket lid.  This is their entry level printer - looks functional and upgraded, but not 'fancy'.

Photon Mono SE - $350  new announcement.  6", 2K mono screen, but adds WiFi for remote print monitoring and a metal case with hinged lid, like the original Photon.

Photon X - $420  new announcement.  8.9" 2K colour screen(?) dual linear rails and WiFi, entry level medium size printer - resolution is coarser than the original Photon, and it will be slower, but still fine for most users needs.  Also has a new bed levelling mechanism.

Photon Mono X - $540  already announced.  8.9" 4K mono screen, dual linear rails and WiFi.  Same resolution as the original Photon, but with faster print speeds (and a bigger screen, of course)  Also has a new bed levelling mechanism.

They also announced a new wash and cure station.  $109  Enclosed wash container, better time selection, LED reflectors to cure the bottom.

(prices are for pre-order/anniversary sale; retail will be higher, but with free shipping from Amazon, it could be a wash)

Also: 4 Max Metal (indirect metal printer; though it seems like this would be more about the filament, as I'm not sure why you couldn't do a similar process with any FDM printer).  S1 3D scanner ($300 smartphone based laser scanner; 0.2 mm precision

• Like 1

Quite interested in the Photon Mono, will have to look a little more into it.

Is it just the mono screen it has over the standard photon or are there other improvements.

What is the free shipping using Amazon you mention?

I’m keen to ensure that it is sent from within the EU so there is no import taxes and handling charges.

Cheers,

Nigel

Looks like the base Mono may have a linear rail, which would improve rigidity and thus print quality.  New bed levelling mechanism which should make that easier - the original design tends to skew the plate as the screw tightens.  Tweaked build plate shape, which is probably more about manufacturing than use.  And the bucket lid, which is less 'sleek' than the original Photon, but should make the levelling process a little easier.

Functionally, it's pretty much the same as the Mars 2 Pro.  The bed levelling mechanism looks like it might be a little nicer on the Mono, but otherwise it's basically a toss-up (just like the original Photon and Mars)

The Amazon comment...  Elegoo's pre-order prices for the Saturn were low, but there was also a $100 shipping charge.  That put the all-in cost about in line with what Elegoo said they'll sell for once they're widely available on Amazon.  And since you'll get free shipping when you order from Amazon, it means the 'pre-order discount' didn't actually save you any money.  If Anycubic did the same thing, then you might not have saved any money buying the printer now.  Turns out they're offering free shipping though, so it actually IS cheaper to pre-order.  Unfortunately, they seem to be blocking most countries from ordering (looks like it's just the US), so it's kind of moot anyway.

Lastly.  All that being said, most Chinese 3D printer manufacturers tend to do a sort of rolling-Beta release model, implementing various upgrades throughout production - the Photon changed to yellow windows because the original blue ones weren't blocking UV; went through ground, sand-blasted and anodized plate variations to solve adhesion issues; different controller boards, etc. - so it may be worth waiting anyway, until the initial faults get ironed out after users start actually using their printers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ICMF said:

Lastly.  All that being said, most Chinese 3D printer manufacturers tend to do a sort of rolling-Beta release model, implementing various upgrades throughout production - the Photon changed to yellow windows because the original blue ones weren't blocking UV; went through ground, sand-blasted and anodized plate variations to solve adhesion issues; different controller boards, etc. - so it may be worth waiting anyway, until the initial faults get ironed out after users start actually using their printers.

Know exactly what you mean.  I managed to blow the main board in my Ender 3.  I was about to buy a replacement Creality board but then spitted the third party boards by BTT which have loads of nice features for the same price.

The first reviews I read were of the v1.0 board that had just been released and they were fantastic, at the time these reviews were about 8 months old.  I then found some later reviews about the v1.2 board (no mention ever of the v1.1, maybe the company actually did some testing themselves).  The v1.2 seemed to largely fix problems found in the v1.0 board.  I bought one of these and then within a week they announced the v2.0 board - I read the improvements and the majority of them were to fix design faults related to overheating and component failure.  I was quite outraged by this as it became obvious that those buying early were being used to test the product and when they found faults BTT fixed them with a new board leaving all those that had done the hard work with old buggy boards - if they want the faults fixed they can buy a new board.  Fortunately I bought from Amazon so I made up a fault returned it for refund and bought a v2.0 board.  That was three versions in less than a year.

Cheers,

Nigel

9 hours ago, ICMF said:

Unfortunately, they seem to be blocking most countries from ordering (looks like it's just the US), so it's kind of moot anyway.

What’s make you think that.  I haven’t ordered but I have gone all the way to where you have to enter payment details and it hasn’t objected.

I also have an eMail from AnyCubic confirming that pre-orders to the UK will be sent from the EU.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 1 month later...

Epax have just announced two new printers: the E10 with an 8.9" 4K screen and the E10-5K with a 10.1" 5K screen.  https://epax3d.com/products/epax-e10-uv-lcd-3d-printer

Specs on the E10 look pretty comparable to most of the other new printers in the 9" class, although they're using a plastic vat whereas everyone else seems to be metal now.  They're also using an injection moulded build plate assembly, with a metal build plate attached on the bottom, which could be a little dodgy, though I'd wait for reviews before passing judgement.

The E10-5K is interesting as it's the first 5K printer.  That allows it to retain the same 0.05mm X/Y resolution as the 2K 'small' and 4k 'medium' size printers.  So you get bigger build size, with no loss of resolution.  Although at that X/Y size, I'd really like to see them increase the Z height, too; 30 - 40cm would be great.  That said, it will be very interesting to see if other manufacturers follow suit with a rapid, larger-sized follow up to the Saturns/Mono X's and the like.  And it ALSO hints at a future where we could get 8K printers upwards of 17" while maintaining the same 0.05mm resolution.  🤤

Thanks for the heads up, $699 for a supersize resin printer is extraordinary, isnt the big Phrozen Sonic like $2000?

Exciting times, as an aircraft builder having a taller printer would mean more fuselages can be printed on their end rather than on their belly, which is a much cleaner print. Heck, with 250mm I could have a 747 in 4 prints! 

• Like 1

I should receive the Phrozen sonic 4K in the next few days I hope, I will give you a comparative test. I have already received the Photon S and the Mono X recently.

Mail from Phrozen, i ordered the 31 august..

Screenshot-2020-10-23-14-13-54-673.jpg