Frog 1/72 Heinkel He 111 H1/H6

TommyF

Picked this up recently at Aviation Bookshop in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK. I do remember making an Airfix 111 aged 10ish but pretty sure I didn't finish it (something is telling me it flew out of my bedroom windows - possible in frustration!) It's clearly an OLD kit, the decals look relatively OK although somewhat yellowed. It matters not!! Haven't decided as yet on the H1 or H6 version but very much looking forward to doing a bit of research, learning more the aircraft and making a start this weekend 😆 Couple of pics of box front plus sprues and peek at instructions and decals.

Has anyone had any experience of building this kit?

50270518713_ee9397fb4c_c.jpg

50271362302_617fa28e0e_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
Text add
  • Like 8

Tommy, welcome to the GB. It is for me the first time that I have seen this kit. 

Good luck with your build. Hope that the decals are still good. 

Cheers,

Good luck with the build. It will be interesting to see it come together. 

Does it have the wider wood props or the H-5 narrow props?

You are right Bob. It is definitely a He 111p engine setup in the box art.

I suppose it is one of those time period things. They didn't have the luxury of

The internet back then. Aren't we lucky.....🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Interesting, the box art shows a He 111P.  :whistle:

Indeed! But in photo of plastic the turbocharger intakes are on proper for H sides.  The H1 and H6 are different by the gondola windows, metal or wooden props and size of oil cooler on top of engine nacelles. maybe something more, Interesting are there those alternative parts present in kit? I was barely remember that there was H-111 in Frog range so I am very interesting to learn more how the kit parts looked like...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments. Hopefully the photo below might clear up what I've got here, is it a H1/H6 or a pre-internet hybrid..?! The props I would say are the wider flavour, the only alternative options are a rear tail gun (for the H6) and a torpedo or not 😆

50274916836_cb2ffe813b_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A collection of He 111 parts are coming together for assembly over the coming days all going well. I might be on my own here but this aircraft has a certain look and shape that is quite attractive and pleasingly in proportion. I made one as a kid but pretty sure didn't complete so looking forward to seeing this built - as a H1 - and painted will be a treat 😊

50294658008_693872668f_c.jpg

• Like 4

The props look a bit half-and-half, but nearer the thin ones.  You could perhaps narrow the trailing edges a bit, especially removing the "step" near the roots.  The other point about the early H variants is that they did not have a glazed forward section to the gondola but a solid fairing.  Sources differ whether this was introduced on the H-3 or later, so it is possible that some aircraft were revised to include this.  You could always call your aircraft an H-3.  The fixed rearward firing gun in the tail was actually only seen on a few examples and is best left off.

A torpedo-bombing P - now that would be distinctive.

• 5 weeks later...