CMR Supermarine Scimitar wing fold set

CJP

About 11 years ago I purchased the CMR Supermarine Scimitar kit as well as the DS06 wing fold set - I only recently started putting the fuselage together and when I went to add the wing centre section I could not believe that there were two right hand wing centre sections in the bags and no left hand section.

IMG-0883.jpg

Anyone have  ideas on how to resolve this other than scratch building a new left wing centre section - I believe the CMR Scimitars and wing fold are now out of production & the chance of someone having bought a wing fold set with two left hand centre section is pretty remote?

Hannants were very supportive but of course could not  help with parts after all this time - Ebay drew a blank

CJP

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

Ask CMR if they still exist

I think that in the form in which we knew it, they have not existed since 2012:

https://www.castinginresin.com/about-us

http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/scale-model-kits/cmr-resin-models-172-and-1144

This link:

http://www.cmrmodels.co.uk/

no work with models.

Another link, in my opinion, shows the stock sale:

http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/scale-model-kits/list-of-cmr-models-1

I think the chances are minimal, but You can try to write to the e-mail indicated on the links above.

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Ask CMR if they still exist

Andy

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

I think that in the form in which we knew it, they have not existed since 2012:

https://www.castinginresin.com/about-us

http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/scale-model-kits/cmr-resin-models-172-and-1144

This link:

http://www.cmrmodels.co.uk/

no work with models.

Another link, in my opinion, shows the stock sale:

http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/scale-model-kits/list-of-cmr-models-1

I think the chances are minimal, but You can try to write to the e-mail indicated on the links above.

B.R.

Serge

Thanks Red Dot and Aardvark for the information - I have looked at your links Serge &  sent an email to CMR  but I think chances are minimal too

CJP

9 hours ago, CJP said:

other than scratch building a new left wing centre section

I thought a little about the situation.  Why do You need to make a scratch building a new left wing centre section?

You have in CMR Supermarine Scimitar kit uncut left wing, so what You need cut left wing and make an imitation of the insides of the fixed part of the left wing at the docking point, similar to the right side of the fixed part of the wing. Not an easy job, but better than doing everything from

scratch building.

B.R. 

Serge

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

I thought a little about the situation.  Why do You need to make a scratch building a new left wing centre section?

You have in CMR Supermarine Scimitar kit uncut left wing, so what You need cut left wing and make an imitation of the insides of the fixed part of the left wing at the docking point, similar to the right side of the fixed part of the wing. Not an easy job, but better than doing everything from

scratch building.

B.R. 

Serge

Serge Unfortunately I used the full wing on upgrading my old Skybirds86 Scimitar & assumed the wing fold kit would be fine however it just shows you have to check kits closely when you get them & return if faulty otherwise I could have done one wing up and one down which I have seen in a photo in the book Scimitar File - a good thought though Serge

CJP

Or cut the kit wing fold, then just cut off the end of the incorrect wing and stick it onto the kit wing upside down.

It may well be the same profile with a few minor adjustments. Without seeing the conversion set, i doubt anyone will notice any differences.

Andy

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CJP said:

Serge Unfortunately I used the full wing on upgrading my old Skybirds86 Scimitar & assumed the wing fold kit would be fine 

This was not in the first message, if it were I would not write about it.  Well, in this case, as option, You need to try to look for another owner of the DS06 wing fold set 

somewhere nearby, and ask him for a part of the wing for temporary use to make a copy.

Making a copy with modern silicones has been described many times in forums and model literature, (if You are not familiar with this technology in practice) is absolutely safe, provided that the technologies for the copied part are observed.

This is a preferable method (but more expensive financially) than scratch building.

Because each hand-made detail carries the individual style, skills, technology and adaptations of the one who made these parts. It's hard enough to completely copy it 100%.

9 hours ago, CJP said:

upgrading my old Skybirds86 Scimitar & assumed the wing fold kit would be fine however it just shows you have to check kits closely when you get them & return if faulty otherwise

I have only two CMR models, they are  Venom FB.4 and Attacker.  In the case of  Venom FB.4, the package did not include the main photoetched 

sheet (!) (Colour photoetched was) of course, I immediately turned to the store with a claim and after a while they sent me what was not received.

In Attacker case, I have a defective part of the tail, the defective in the fact that the thickness of the part of the tail is almost equal to the thickness of the sheet of paper in many places. I didn't demand replacement of the part, considering that it was easier for me to make it myself.

Nevertheless, the fact remains - of the two CMR models I bought, both had problems!

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Or cut the kit wing fold, then just cut off the end of the incorrect wing and stick it onto the kit wing upside down.

It may well be the same profile with a few minor adjustments. Without seeing the conversion set, i doubt anyone will notice any differences.

Many problems I see in this way! (Yoda voice)😁

20 hours ago, CJP said:

IMG-0883.jpg

Problem with wing main wheel bay and flap I see.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Serge & Andy - I had a PM from a Britmodeller member who may be able to help me with some left over CMR Scimitar wing parts at some point in the future 🤞

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have had positive news on my CMR Scimitar - Hannants kindly contacted the maker of the kits in Czech Republic on my behalf and I then received an email from [email protected] advising they would replace the incorrect wing part - it is now in the mail so just a matter of waiting for it to navigate the mail system all the way to Oz - fingers crossed😀

CJP

• Like 7

4 hours ago, CJP said:

I have had positive news on my CMR Scimitar - Hannants kindly contacted the maker of the kits in Czech Republic on my behalf and I then received an email from [email protected] advising they would replace the incorrect wing part - it is now in the mail so just a matter of waiting for it to navigate the mail system all the way to Oz - fingers crossed😀

CJP

Another wonderful example of people that really understood customer service, the fine chaps from Hannants (you know here down the border not many people that chalenge the Forces of the Darkests World Mail Service I always keep you in mind not only wonderful and rare very up modelling stuff but wonderful service_

Regards

Armando

• Like 2

And people (my wife) wonder why I model inside the Britmodeller bubble instead of being alone as I used to.

The fact that you are having such good result makes me confident, as if it had been needed, that the support network here at BM is second to absolutely none.

Well done chaps and very well done Hannants

And when it arrives well done CMR, they do make truly exquisite model parts.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, perdu said:

And people (my wife) wonder why I model inside the Britmodeller bubble instead of being alone as I used to.

The fact that you are having such good result makes me confident, as if it had been needed, that the support network here at BM is second to absolutely none.

Well done chaps and very well done Hannants

And when it arrives well done CMR, they do make truly exquisite model parts.

Totally agree with what you say Bill - the support network here is great - Hannants went above and beyond - CMR very obliging too

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All - I can finalise this post with the news that I received the replacement left hand inner wing part for the wing fold from CMR today - fantastic after sale service from them & thanks to Hannants too.

IMG_1036.jpg

CJP

• Like 5