1/48th Airfix Defiant Mk.I, 264 Sqn, Summer 1940

Hiya Folks,..... another Defiant,.... but this time a Battle of Britain aircraft which I have been planning to build for some time,..... as usual it is brush painted and I used the excellent kit decals,.... this has to be one of Airfix`s best kits ever to build,.....  the design work and detail is superb.

The model represents L7021, PS-H of 264 Sqn based at RAF Hornchurch on 25th August 1940 with its large A Type roundel converted to A1 Type with the addition of a narrow yellow ring. When studying photos of 264 Sqn Defiant`s I noticed that the demarcation between the black and Sky on the propeller spinner could be quite raggedto say the least,..... so I attempted to replicate this,..... but not too much!

Here is the real thing, L7021, PS-H seen on the 25th August 1940 at RAF Hornchurch. The previous evening it had been flown by Pilot Officer `Bull' Whiteley when it downed a Ju88 but `Bull' was killed on the 28th and L7021 was to fall in battle on the same day too taking Pilot Officers PL Kenner & CE Johnson to their deaths,...... RIP;

1-defiant-26-0.jpg

And here is the model;

DSCF8637-NEW.jpg

DSCF8635-NEW.jpg

DSCF8642-NEW.jpg

DSCF8640-NEW.jpg

DSCF8658-NEW.jpg

DSCF8659-NEW.jpg

DSCF8664-NEW.jpg

DSCF8663-NEW.jpg

DSCF8662-NEW.jpg

DSCF8666-NEW.jpg

DSCF8657-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

Great looking Defiant, Tony. 

I never have a problem with those ragged demarcation lines; it's the straight clean ones that give me trouble!😉

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,...... I use masking tape for the straight lines,..... my hands are not that steady anymore LOL!! 

1 hour ago, gazza l said:

Stunning work as usual Tony.

gazza l 

Thanks Gaza,..... glad you like it mate. 

Very well done. Like the subtle but effective weathering and engine exhaust and the cockpit looks very good to me as well.

• Like 1

Extraordinary Defiant – very convincing!

Those first four photos against the thunder grey background are excellent as well – really shows off your model to best advantage.

Why you then put it on that offensive neon bluegreen background that completely kills the impression of the model… well, de gustibus non est disputandem. 😉

Marvellous modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Beautiful work, what paints did you use?

Thanks Jeff,..... I used Humbrol acrylic Dark Earth (thinned down), my last bottle of Polly Scale Dark Green and Polly Scale Sky,...... all brush painted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, russ c said:

Great looking Defiant, really nice work

Thanks Russ, glad you like it.

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Outstanding job on that Defiant.👍

Cheers Vinnie,.... glad you like it.

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Nice! Those DE/DG colours look perfect to my eye. What paint did you use?

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... as above,....I used Humbrol acrylic Dark Earth (thinned down), my last bottle of Polly Scale Dark Green and Polly Scale Sky,...... all brush painted.  The Dark Earth dried very pale,..... but a coat of Humbrol enamel gloss varnih brought out the reddy brown colour really well. 

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Very well done. Like the subtle but effective weathering and engine exhaust and the cockpit looks very good to me as well.

Thanks mate,..... the engine exhaust was done by brushing on MiG pigment powders,..... motly black but with some grey added too. The cockpit is beautifully designed by Airfix,.... I just painted it! 

6 hours ago, IanC said:

As good as ever from the one man kit building maroon machine! 

LOL,.... Cheers Ian,...... glad you like it bud. 

6 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That's just superb Tony. Your brush painting skills are jaw dropping! A lovely Defiant you have there 👍

Thanks mate,..... glad you like it,..... I have to admit that I had to sand some brush marks out in between coats! 

5 hours ago, mick b said:

Excellent Defiant Tony, one of your best ever IMO 👍 

Mike

Wow,.... cheers Mike,..... very nice of you to say so,....... but the kit is lovely to start with, I just tarted it up a bit! 

5 hours ago, djos said:

Very nice, sharp and clean build.

Perfect!

Regards Djordje

Thanks very much Djordje,..... glad you like it. 

5 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Extraordinary Defiant – very convincing!

Those first four photos against the thunder grey background are excellent as well – really shows off your model to best advantage.

Why you then put it on that offensive neon bluegreen background that completely kills the impression of the model… well, de gustibus non est disputandem. 😉

Marvellous modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim,..... a dark background always shows off a Dark Earth/ Dark Green model very well. I added the blue as it is my `standard' background,..... but I know what you mean!! 

3 hours ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Cheers mate. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, F-32 said:

Lovely Defiant, first class

Thanks mate,.... glad you like it. 

8 hours ago, chris148 said:

Very nice indeed 👏

Cheers Chris. 

• 1 month later...

That's a beauty Tony - I really enjoyed building this kit. Might have to have a go at that marvellous ASR version you did recently!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1