1/48th Eduard Spitfire Mk.I, 602 (City of Glasgow) Sqn, Westhampnett, Summer 1940

21 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Lovely Tony :like: i am standing at the alter to pay homage to the hairy stick king .  :gobsmacked:

LOL,.... Cheers Keith,..... I wouldn`t say that mate, but thanks anyway!

20 minutes ago, Mig88 said:

Absolutely lovely!! Well finished!

Miguel

Thank you Miguel. 

superb mate. I know I commented on Facebook but just had a proper look on the PC with bigger photo's and it's even better! I'll be doing a much earlier one as my first build, probably with the two blade prop on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

superb mate. I know I commented on Facebook but just had a proper look on the PC with bigger photo's and it's even better! I'll be doing a much earlier one as my first build, probably with the two blade prop on.

Thanks mate,.... yeah I want to do an early one with the 2 blader with the 2nd kit,...... just researching a scheme now,..... but may opt for the 41 Sqn a/c at RAF Catterick? Good luck with your`s,.... you`ll love it.  

Hi Tony,

I’m hoping you and your family are all keeping safe and well and have recovered from the the flooding disaster. Great Spitfire! The kit seems to have a lot Airfix and Tamiya have missed. I’m giving the old Airfix 24th scale Spitfire the same treatment my big SHAR got but progress is slow. Would you be able to help me a bit by scanning the decal sheet instructions from the Eduard kit of EB-G, Eric Lock’s aircraft and emailing them to me or posting them up here please?  (I’ll explain my cunning plan in due course!) Many thanks!

Keep up the excellent work and many thanks in advance. Take care all of you.

Cheers. Nick

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NG899 said:

Hi Tony,

I’m hoping you and your family are all keeping safe and well and have recovered from the the flooding disaster. Great Spitfire! The kit seems to have a lot Airfix and Tamiya have missed. I’m giving the old Airfix 24th scale Spitfire the same treatment my big SHAR got but progress is slow. Would you be able to help me a bit by scanning the decal sheet instructions from the Eduard kit of EB-G, Eric Lock’s aircraft and emailing them to me or posting them up here please?  (I’ll explain my cunning plan in due course!) Many thanks!

Keep up the excellent work and many thanks in advance. Take care all of you.

Cheers. Nick

Thanks Nick,..... yeah we are working on getting over the flooding,...... hopefully we`ll be better prepared if it occurs again,.... first time in 29 yrs living here!! Agreed,... the kit has lots that Airfix and Tamiya have missed,..... and these are more than decent kits in their own right! My scanner is broken,.... but I`ve gladly photographed the section you want and included it here,..... good luck with the Spitfire too,.....I`ll certainly look forward to seeing it mate.   

DSCF8679.jpg

17 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow what a cracker Tony. Looks great and like the unusual demarcation along the leading edges.  Fantastic work fella 

All the best 

Chris 

Cheers Chris,..... yeah that is one of the things that attracted me to it,.... that and the artwork. 

5 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Beautiful build! It is always good to see a 602 machine 👍

Thanks mate,.... yeah good squadron 602!

• Like 1

Very many thanks Tony that's very helpful indeed! Eduard have started another conundrum with this illustration as they are showing N3162 with the A scheme camouflage whereas, for its serial batch, the A even B odd 'rule' was reversed, meaning it had the B scheme. Ho hum! More research to be done!

Best wishes

Nick

(I'm looking forward to seeing my big Spitfire finished too!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NG899 said:

Very many thanks Tony that's very helpful indeed! Eduard have started another conundrum with this illustration as they are showing N3162 with the A scheme camouflage whereas, for its serial batch, the A even B odd 'rule' was reversed, meaning it had the B scheme. Ho hum! More research to be done!

Best wishes

Nick

(I'm looking forward to seeing my big Spitfire finished too!)

No worries Nick,..... to be fair I have noticed some errors in the other schemes and I had to re do the codes for the 602 Sqn Spit because Eduard got the codes and most likely the Popeye artwork wrong too. Like you I never trust artwork without a photo and comparing them both.  

Lock did fly a number of 41 Sqn Spits I believe?

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/RAF-41Sqn-EB/pages/Spitfire-MkIa-RAF-41Sqn-EBQ-Eric-Lock-R6885-England-1940-01.html

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/done-gb-43-1-72-spitfire-mk-ia-aces-aircraft-of-all-eras.51910/

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks Tony. The first link I'm pretty sure does not show R6885. It was built in mid July so would have had the sky undersides as standard and a straight demarcation line on the cowling panels. It would also have had the standard roundel by then, not the 49-inch example shown here! I've seen the photograph before, several times, once captioned as being at Hornchurch with N3162 on 5th September 1940. That opens up a whole can'-'worms for how Eduard show N3162... In the photo it has the correct B scheme, tick. When built (FF 06-Nov-39) it would have had B+W undersides and a 25-inch type B roundel, as in the kit's depiction of Tuck's FZ-L (source: Ted Hooton in SAM  No-82). What happened to the fuselage roundel thereafter is anyone's guess! It could have been made into a 35-inch Type A1, as shown for EB-G in the kit, or been first a 35-inch Type A before having the 7-inch (they are thick in the photo!) yellow surround added. I have seen EB-M and EB-P with the 49-inch roundel on them; from the placement of its codes by the roundel M had been with 41 for some time, the B overlaps the port side roundel. Anyway, we could chat like this for ages and this is a RFI thread, so I'd best hop it! I'll let you know how things progress Tony. Take care.

Nick

• Like 1

And, just to prove that if you keep digging you will end up in a hole...

Tony and everyone, check out the 2nd photograph on page 2 of this article; I hope your Polish is up to it! He's citing N3162 as being used by Lock on 5 September 1940 when he destroyed to He.111s and a Bf.109.

http://www.forum.modelarstwo.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=43730&start=15

(It's a truly lovely Spitfire build, worth looking at, what a great way to do domed rivets in a large scale... Enjoy!)

That's probably the photo Eduard have used as their basis for EB-G, in the A scheme and with a small serial placed high on the rear fuselage. Whether that reads N3162 I'll leave to you all to decide. It looks to be a still from the same movie I saw used by Channel 4 here in the UK on a programme about Dunkirk, the one where I spotted EB-M and EB-P mentioned above; though I didn't see EB-G. (They also used the famous movie of 222 Squadron departing on patrol in the same programme.)

Bye for now, take care.

Nick

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NG899 said:

And, just to prove that if you keep digging you will end up in a hole...

Tony and everyone, check out the 2nd photograph on page 2 of this article; I hope your Polish is up to it! He's citing N3162 as being used by Lock on 5 September 1940 when he destroyed to He.111s and a Bf.109.

(It's a truly lovely Spitfire build, worth looking at, what a great way to do domed rivets in a large scale... Enjoy!)

That's probably the photo Eduard have used as their basis for EB-G, in the A scheme and with a small serial placed high on the rear fuselage. Whether that reads N3162 I'll leave to you all to decide. It looks to be a still from the same movie I saw used by Channel 4 here in the UK on a programme about Dunkirk, the one where I spotted EB-M and EB-P mentioned above; though I didn't see EB-G. (They also used the famous movie of 222 Squadron departing on patrol in the same programme.)

Bye for now, take care.

Nick

I sent you a link with that pic Nick,..... looks like the large serial has been painted out to me,.... with that teeny weeny serial applied instead? If it wasn`t that you do know that somebody would be standing in the way anyway don`t you? They always stand in front of a serial of code letter! 

Edited by tonyot

9 hours ago, NG899 said:

ebg0037.jpg

9 hours ago, NG899 said:

It looks to be a still from the same movie I saw used by Channel 4 here in the UK on a programme about Dunkirk, the one where I spotted EB-M and EB-P mentioned above; though I didn't see EB-G. (They also used the famous movie of 222 Squadron departing on patrol in the same programme.)

is this online anywhere?  eg More 4? 

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

looks like the large serial has been painted out to me,.... with that teeny weeny serial applied instead?

this came up in the discussion on the Eduard kit, and their assertion that the Mk.I always had the manual UC retractions.

The film of R6692 in a RAF training film showed that this was not the case.

Also, R6692 had the serial painted out (not very well, it was still visible just) and this repainted in 2 inch high characters on the white of the fin flash.

50252765956_f955058019_b.jpg

The films on the IWM site are here

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060020636

also, it seems the R6692 was repainted to Sky (or similar) while the film was being made,  and this film,  not on the IWM, has A Sky underside Spitfire from the same film session

"

Content description

Spitfires of 609 West Riding Squadron lined up in a blast pen/revetment with engines running. Ground crew approach aircraft from the rear and engines are cut. Refuelling tanker approaches from the rear. Guns have been fired and crews open gun and ammunition doors. Scene of aircraft "Q" being refuelled. Aircraft bears name of "Chico" on right hand side forward of cockpit. Empty ammunition tanks are removed to make way for full ones. Gun is uncocked and armourer pulls through the barrel. Full oxygen cylinders replace old ones (Squadron code "PR" is visible on aircraft). Ammunition truck drives along to the front of parked aircraft delivering full ammo tanks. New ammo tanks are installed in aircraft and canvas leads are threaded through swan necks. Armourer cocks gun and doors closed and access panels replaced. Armourer reports to pilot, sat in aircraft, "Guns loaded and cocked". Senior officer present gives order to start engines and flight is off again."

All the above is the youtube link, at the beginning and end of the clip.

Hope of interest/use

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

ebg0037.jpg

is this online anywhere?  eg More 4? 

this came up in the discussion on the Eduard kit, and their assertion that the Mk.I always had the manual UC retractions.

The film of R6692 in a RAF training film showed that this was not the case.

Also, R6692 had the serial painted out (not very well, it was still visible just) and this repainted in 2 inch high characters on the white of the fin flash.

50252765956_f955058019_b.jpg

The films on the IWM site are here

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060020636

also, it seems the R6692 was repainted to Sky (or similar) while the film was being made,  and this film,  not on the IWM, has A Sky underside Spitfire from the same film session

"

Content description

Spitfires of 609 West Riding Squadron lined up in a blast pen/revetment with engines running. Ground crew approach aircraft from the rear and engines are cut. Refuelling tanker approaches from the rear. Guns have been fired and crews open gun and ammunition doors. Scene of aircraft "Q" being refuelled. Aircraft bears name of "Chico" on right hand side forward of cockpit. Empty ammunition tanks are removed to make way for full ones. Gun is uncocked and armourer pulls through the barrel. Full oxygen cylinders replace old ones (Squadron code "PR" is visible on aircraft). Ammunition truck drives along to the front of parked aircraft delivering full ammo tanks. New ammo tanks are installed in aircraft and canvas leads are threaded through swan necks. Armourer cocks gun and doors closed and access panels replaced. Armourer reports to pilot, sat in aircraft, "Guns loaded and cocked". Senior officer present gives order to start engines and flight is off again."

All the above is the youtube link, at the beginning and end of the clip.

Hope of interest/use

Excellent films and info mate,.... cheers.

• Like 1

Many thanks for those IWM links Troy, pure   G O L D   D U S T   ! ! !

AFAIK the C4 programme on Dunkirk is not on More 4, but I haven't searched, I had it recorded but my YouView box went u/s in the 2nd week of lockdown... All lost.

R6692 data

R6692 - MkIa - c/n 746 - Eastleigh - Merlin III - FF 3-6-40 - 6MU 5-6-40 - 609S 7-6-40 Overstressed attacking Ju88 CE 12-8-40 SOC 2-9-40.

Data from: http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p009.html

From the same source

N3162 - MkIa c/n 404 - Eastleigh - Merlin III - FF 6-11-39 - 24MU 12-11-39 - 41S 24-12-39 - HAL 13-9-40 - FACB 30-4-41 - 57OTU 10-5-41 - GAL 1PRU Benson 22-9-42 - 8OTU 17-12-42 - FACB 18-1-43 - ros RNAS 12-5-43 - 879S Stretton 5-43 - ros Cat Ac 6-6-43 - 881S Stretton short loan for training purposes W/E 8-10-43 to 11-43 Cat E 13-10-44.

Edited by NG899
  • Like 1

How the heck did I miss your build???!

You have a stunning result there and provide a benchmark for us to aspire to. 

Must get me one.....prob wait for a Weekend edition though (I’m mean that way).

Trevor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

How the heck did I miss your build???!

You have a stunning result there and provide a benchmark for us to aspire to. 

Must get me one.....prob wait for a Weekend edition though (I’m mean that way).

Trevor

Thanks Trevor,

I wouldn`t say that,.... but glad you like it and I know what you mean about the Weekend edition,....... I`m also looking forward to the Mk.V`s too,.... I do hop they include a Mk.Vc!

All the best

Tony

8 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

Gorgeous work again, Tony. Always a pleasure to see your builds!

Thanks John,...... glad you like it mate. 

• Like 1

Tony, that's a lovely build.  I should get one of these kits, except I have rather a lot of Spits in my stash.

Are the two photos in your original post the same aircraft? - if so the erk (or two different erks) painted the G differently on each side!  The gap and bar are at different heights though the slope of the cut-off is the same.  Maybe in 1940 they thought no one would actually look at both sides at the same time...That starboard photo also shows an early pole type aerial.

Cheers 

Will 

• Like 1

Cracking build.

Having read an in box review on Hyperscale it seems engineered differently to the Mk IX, thankfully the exhausts can be fitted after painting. Always wondered why they did that.

Pete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks Mick.

6 hours ago, malpaso said:

Tony, that's a lovely build.  I should get one of these kits, except I have rather a lot of Spits in my stash.

Are the two photos in your original post the same aircraft? - if so the erk (or two different erks) painted the G differently on each side!  The gap and bar are at different heights though the slope of the cut-off is the same.  Maybe in 1940 they thought no one would actually look at both sides at the same time...That starboard photo also shows an early pole type aerial.

Cheers 

Will 

Cheers Will,..... so do I mate but it is well worth adding this one too,..... it really is the best Mk.I by a country mile and a real treat! 

As for the real aircraft photos,..... I`m led to believe that they are the same aircraft and it would not be a surprise for one side to be painted differently to another,.....  but the pole antennae suggests that it probably wasn`t,.... good spot. 

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

That's lovely Tony - it may inspire my next build! Love the wavy camo demarcation,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,...... yes that is what drew me to that subject too,.... that and the Popeye artwork. I`ve seen the wavy leading edges on quite a few Hurricane`s,.... but not on a Spitfire! 

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

Cracking build.

Having read an in box review on Hyperscale it seems engineered differently to the Mk IX, thankfully the exhausts can be fitted after painting. Always wondered why they did that.

Pete

Thanks Pete,..... yes it is engineered differently and having built the Mk.IX/VIII I like the Mk.I more,...... it is simpler, less `over engineered' and as you say, the exhausts can be fitted later. There is no seperate upper cowling either. 

Cheers Fella`s,

Tony

• Like 2

Tony,

Looks fantastic and great advice on the decals. I was disappointed in these on the sheet but the solution may lie in the removal of the carrier film. I had read a little about this already. Your wonderful result only increases my enthusiasm to get into mine. 

Ray

• Like 1