Not all at sea: Fleet Air Arm fighters in the Battle of Britain

Continuing my ambition to come at this Group Build from far out on the left field, I have decided to include a couple of British naval aircraft.

The Fleet Air Arm had been under the control of the Air Ministry, and by extension the Royal Air Force, pretty much since the end of the Great War. By 1940 naval flying was back firmly under Admiralty control. While the FAA's scope included seaplanes flying from cruisers and battleships, it was chiefly invested in providing aircraft for the Royal Navy's aircraft carriers. Some wonderful and evocative types were in service at the outbreak of the Second World War: Walrus, Albacore, Swordfish, Roc, Skua, Sea Gladiator, Fulmar, even a few remaining Foxes and Sharks. Squadrons were assigned to carriers, and moved about according to need, and occasionally would find themselves based at shore stations for a spell. Of course, it should also be remembered that FAA pilots were seconded into Fighter Command to help with pilot shortages during the Battle.

Two squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm, however, were destined to be included in the Battle of Britain Roll of Honour.

No 804 Squadron had been formed in November 1939, flying Gloster Sea Gladiators. Sadly, I don’t have one of those in my stash at present, but happily the squadron converted to Grumman Martlet MkIs during October 1940. I do have one of those.

50268721617_55a42404c7_b.jpg

The 2010 boxing by AZ Models of a Sword kit from a few years before, which was kindly donated to me by Edward, @Procopius, host of this Group Build.

No 808 Squadron was formed in July 1940 at RNAS Worthy Down, Hampshire. Flying Fairey Fulmars, the squadron was initially sent to patrol the Irish Sea from the Isle of Man, then to Wick in Scotland to protect the dockyards. The squadron was then assigned to RAF Fighter Command, though I haven’t found where they were based. In September 1940, the squadron joined HMS Ark Royal as part of Force H in the Mediterranean Sea, and that is where this story ends.

50267882448_09d02e80a1_b.jpg

The kit I have was boxed by Airfix in 2005, but originated in 1994 by Vista. It is a much-travelled mould, having also been through the hands of Revell, Smer, Mister Kit and, most recently, AZ Models. I also have a donated Smer boxing, but some of you may recall it was cannibalised for parts to upgrade an Airfix Fairey Battle kit. 

Let's take a slightly closer look at the box contents. First, the Martlet.

50268721542_1cb6a9630d_b.jpg

Schemes and markings are provided for three variants. Two might be suitable, but don't represent 804 Squadron. I think I can cobble suitable squadron and serial codes from my transfer collection, while the national markings can be used from the kit.

50268721492_71f188af7f_b.jpg

Looks good, and Ed even included a masking set when he sent the box to me. What an altogether lovely chap he is! I hope we can get the chance to meet in person again one day.

50268546701_05c19eb1ff_b.jpg

No nasty PE to work with, just a neat resin cast of the engine block. Some rather fine parts will be hard to dislodge from the trees, but that's par for the course.

50267882498_6ab85638be_b.jpg

Nice fine mouldings, little in the way of misregistration or flash. This really shouldn't be a complicated build. (Famous Last Words™)

50268546501_a5b28ecb11_b.jpg

The Fulmar is standard 1990s fare from Airfix. 

50267882323_9d02231b7e_b.jpg

Sadly, the transfers are printed using a lithographic procrss akin to the four colour print process used for magazines and books. Very obvious dot patterns are visible, and this sheet most likely will end up in the bin. According to my research, I don't think any of the markings would be suitable for this build anyway.

50268546401_03229af27e_b.jpg

The non-Airfix originated trees are hacked about to fit the small box. It does look unfortunate, rather like someone has already been in the box and had a rummage. All the parts are there, so that's good to know.

50268721032_9c3078bcd7_b.jpg

Finally, for this intro post, prime reference material. Fleet Air Arm markings and camouflage throughout 1940 is a proper minefield, and utterly fascinating. Before I get too far into the builds, though, I need to order some paints in. 

*Clicks bookmark link to Sovereign Hobbies*

*Hears faint screaming from direction of credit card*

:laugh:

• Like 24

Thanks folks! Looking forward to getting into these critters.

Now, I plan to make a start on the Martlet, and I’ve been going over the reference material. I did mention I need to buy in some paint stocks for the FAA builds here and for the future. The Martlets used by 804 Squadron, which was the first to be equipped with the type in October 1940, appear to have still been in the colours applied by Grumman in their factory. It’s all a bit murky, but the scheme I want to work to is not the official Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Grey over Sky type S (though one of the kit schemes covers this). Happily, the other early scheme gives FS numbers for the colours used.

Punching in the FS numbers on the Sovereign Hobbies web site gives me colours which seem about right.

The other knotty issue is aircraft and squadron letters. I mentioned the Admiralty had a high old time during 1940, attempting to keep up with the stream of consciousness from the Air Ministry about camouflage and markings. I’m still confused about the squadron code system used, but I think I am correct that up until November or December 1940 only aircraft letters were used. After that, a system of letter-number-letter was used.

The Air Ministry was particularly exercised about identifying friendly aircraft. This is why FAA types during 1940 were seen with Type B (blue and red) roundels, then the Type A (blue, white, red), then Type A1 with a yellow ring. Port wing undersides were sometimes black, starboard in white, undersides sky grey, then Sky Type S, and more often than not a mixture of both. The black port wing disappeared, then reappeared unaccompanied by the white opposite number, and a Sky fuselage band towards the end. Fin flashes eventually became standard, too.

With me so far? Don’t worry, it’s complicated.

Anyway, so it seems the Martlets of 804 Squadron in October 1940 were finished in US equivalent colours (jury is still out on US sky grey or "duck egg blue" :tmi: ), didn’t have individual aircraft code letters, had 8in serial numbers, rectangular fin flashes, and the wheel hubs in section colours. I have one profile, based on an actual photo, which shows the underside and port underwing in Sky type S. With nothing better to go on, I’m heading for that one!

:frantic:

Hopefully, the Fulmar will be a bit easier. What am I saying‽ :blink2:

• Like 7

Hi Heather,

Somebody ( just checked and it was @825) built an AZ G36 aka Martlet Mk I for the "In the Navy GB" earlier this year I believe and there was a discussion on the paint used - US equivalent or not. I was under the impression that "Sea Green" may have been used on some - might be worth checking the thread! Not really sure about the markings.

In the Kagero book on the Wildcat there is a pic of what they say are machines from 804 over Scapa Flow in late 1940, and they just have a letter behind the fuselage roundel, and the notes with a profile on one of those says standard sea scheme. Osprey RN Aces has the classic pic taken by a passenger in a Pan Am Clipper showing a trio of Martlets with Eric Brown in the middle flying inverted and again they just have the letter, but they also have a vic of Martlets in another pic where 2 just have letters and the other has full codes, but can't say what date that was.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

35 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I was under the impression that "Sea Green" may have been used on some

The book shown in my opening post confirms this. Dark Sea Grey [sic], Light Sea Green and some form of sky blue seem to be the colours used by Grumman at their factory. Aircraft don’t seem to have been repainted to "official" FAA TSS colours until December.

The same book has a photo of a plane on deck landing trials dated November 1940. No ID letter shown. The profile I’m going to work to for 804 depicts BJ519 as delivered, is based on a photo in the author's collection, and is dated for October.

I am currently trying to persuade my credit card to give up some funds for paint. :shrug:

• Like 2

Not sure if this helps,

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm

For you fulmar, it will be in S1E but the demarcation of the upper colours to lower colours changed with the first aircraft (three variants).  You need to study that carefully from your book.  It would be handy if you had a serial to work from..

1 minute ago, Grey Beema said:

It would be handy if you had a serial to work from.

Thanks GB! I have a serial, and several photos. One is showing a Fulmar, thought to be N1868, with the sky grey under surface half-way up the fuselage, and Sky Type S applied to lower parts, on Ark Royal, so that’s beyond my target timeframe. The other shows four planes in formation, in the later TSS scheme with ROYAL NAVY over the serials. Again, a bit late for my timeframe. I also have a profile, although it’s not 808 Squadron, dated to October 1940 showing the mix of underpart colours nicely. I think I may head for that as an interesting colour scheme to show the genuinely muddled thinking of the time.

• Like 1

Hi Heather,

Seems to be a bit of confusion over "Light Sea Green" according to the thread I mentioned.  825 said that the FS number quoted is more likely to be "Dark Sea Green" according to IPMS Stockholm and my "official" RAF Museum colour chart does not show a "Light" version of Sea Green. Know what you mean about credit cards, just had to bash mine for a new car battery - I can remember when they only cost about £30 but well over £100 now for a decent one.😒 In fact the first one I ever bought came uncharged with 3 bottles of battery acid - you had to fill it and charge it yourself, but it probably only cost a tenner in 1968!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Seems to be a bit of confusion

Ya ain’t kiddin'! :laugh:

To be fair AZ quote simply 'green' and the FS number. As that appears on the ColourCoats list, I’ll go with it. Photos of the preserved MkI at Yeovilton show a quite bright green, depending on the lighting. I believe that is an accurate reproduction of the original colouring the curating team found when tidying the plane up. 

All of this is not helping get the cash out of the card, or getting any modelling done. I’m afraid the mojo has bimbled off somewhere today, so I’ve been digging around for research info instead.

• Like 2

Hi Heather,

Same problem here in a way - farting about with the ruddy car has stopped me spraying my 109's and Hampden, but I will hopefully get them done on Sunday. Anyway, time spent on research is seldom wasted and thankfully this is a fairly long GB!

Looking forward to seeing this pair built - should be good!

Pete

On 8/26/2020 at 10:00 AM, Heather Kay said:

Fleet Air Arm markings and camouflage throughout 1940 is a proper minefield, and utterly fascinating.

I think I need this book!

(Do you mean goldmine rather than minefield though...?)

18 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Heather,

Somebody ( just checked and it was @825) built an AZ G36 aka Martlet Mk I for the "In the Navy GB" earlier this year I believe and there was a discussion on the paint used - US equivalent or not. I was under the impression that "Sea Green" may have been used on some - might be worth checking the thread! Not really sure about the markings.

Cheers

Pete

I finished my Martlet Mk1 as an 802 NAS aircraft from HMS Audacity. It's really difficult working out the correct colours. There does seem to be a body of opinion that the green should be Dark Sea Green but it's been named a few others including Light Sea Green. The underside is also open to debate. I finished mine with the upperworks in Revell's Seegrun and Xtracrylix Gunship Grey (which is a good match apparently for US equivalent for Extra Dark Sea Grey). The undersides I used Revell's Hellblue. Whether it's right or not I don't know but it looks OK. Though dependent on the light it can appear lighter or darker

resized_f83bea26-1736-4291-b750-de2f2d61

resized_8affc9ef-7291-43c9-b6d5-be46e928

There are a couple of colour pictures of NXG2 which I think is possibly the first of the Martlet Mk1s, about half way down this article. There's also a B&W photo showing the underside. You may have seen them previously but if not they are helpful. 

https://www.key.aero/forum/historic-aviation/137860-what-aircraft-is-this?page=0

Good luck and all the best with the build. I'm sure it will be well up to your usual standard. 

• Like 5

If my Martlet turns out half as good I will be happy. 

The mojo is being very recalcitrant this weekend. There’s only so much armchair modelling research you can do, so I started fiddling about with some plastic.

50285406161_4c90bfd6b8_b.jpg

I cleaned up some mould registration issues. For fine parts, such as the undercarriage, I find it best to do as much of the cleaning up while they’re still attached to the sprue. Then, a first coat of interior green and some satin black. And then my patience ran out. Back to the armchair!

• Like 9

Hi Heather,

Final post on the subject of paint for this kit - there has been a lot of debate over the years on the "US equivalent" paints for planes exported to the UK. The "Sky" for example is variously decscribed as grey as on the Flying Tigers P-40's and pale blue as in a pic of a preserved P-40 in I think New Zealand. However, replying to a comment I made on Steve's recent Dinah build in the "Kids" GB, Jamie confirmed that he had worked with Nick not only for Japanese colours but also on the US equivalents in his Colourcoats range, so you should be pretty safe using them if you want - entirely your choice at the end of the day and I am sure it will look good.

Enjoy your builds - I know I will!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Heather Im not sure if these help or hurt. I found these several years ago on the web and they claimed to be in the original french colors after France fell Grumman redid the roundels/flash to show the RN/FAA. supposedly taken at Grumman's factory in 1940.3DSZ3xP.jpg

A closer view. 

wNZmOrD.jpg

Dennis

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dennis,

One book I have refers to the French order ones being painted dark blue and repainted Dark Earth and Dark Green in RAF service but that may well be wrong - it also shows a pic of one in FAA service with what it describes as the French fin flash - ie colours reversed - I think the colours in your pic are probably correct though some sources suggest they may have been repainted on arrival! However I suspect this may be "US Equivalent" RAF/FAA rather than French as it does look like an attempt at TSS to me.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

It is worth adding that French Navy combat types were an overall blue-grey, and this camouflage pattern is close to the British standards.  It bears little or no resemblance to the ways that the French camouflaged their aircraft, nor to their colours.  I believe that this story arose from someone lacking direct knowledge but deciding that as they weren't the standard British colours therefore they must have been the French.

When I went down and peered closely at the FAAM example, I was convinced that it was painted in two shades of green, one very dark.  Now those of you will long memories and an interest in Formula 1 may recall that the dark green BRMs always came out dark blue on Motor Sport's colour front covers.  Which is probably coincidence.  Probably.  Almost certainly irrelevant is that looking at the carpet I'm sitting on, lit by a modern (not incandescent) light, it is dark green, but it is dark blue in daylight.  

The subject was very thoroughly addressed in a piece by Paul Lucas a few years ago - sorry I can't identify it further as I haven't dug it out for my AZ kit yet.  Assuming that the kit doesn't get Aeronavale blue-grey anyway.  Given its dodgy cowling, I may just do that.

PS is there such a colour as Light Sea Green, or indeed Sea Green, in the AM/MAP colours?  I don't think so, but am too tired/lazy tonight to check.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

PS is there such a colour as Light Sea Green, or indeed Sea Green, in the AM/MAP colours?

I fear I may have muddied the waters by quoting from Lloyd's book, where LSG was mentioned in the text somewhere. 

I think the photo Dennis posted shows the colours well. It certainly matches what the FAAM display now - which in itself is a remarkable survival, albeit having been painted over several times during its service life. I shall order the paints from ColourCoats today, even if I have to sedate the credit card first!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Slightly more mojo around today, so I hefted some bootstraps, girded a loin or two, and tried to decipher the instructions.

50290299578_33d117e97b_b.jpg

It should come as little surprise that the instructions don’t really look like anything moulded in plastic. There are pegs and holes that don’t exist, and parts called out that look absolutely nothing like what appears on the runner. Still, I call myself a modeller, so I worked it out for myself.

(I also dug out the instruction sheet from the Airfix Martlet/Wildcat to try and aid me in working out what’s supposed to fit where. I even entertained the thought of using the Airfix fuselage and undercarriage, and grafting the AZ wings on it. Then reality struck, and I carried on with what I had to hand.)

Eventually, the cockpit floor was fitted with a seat, control column and armour/head restraint. The main bulkhead, onto which the undercarriage somehow attached, was also fitted. The instructions say to mark out and fit the engine firewall 3.5mm back into the fuselage, so that was duly done. The instructions also show the firewall fitted with the raised centre to the front. You can see this in the next picture.

A basic seat harness was made from tape, as usual. Although I carefully painted the nicely moulded interior sidewalls, they will not be seen again, even with the canopy open!

50290974096_2e909c8c68_b.jpg

After a while, I’d got this far. The instructions call out colours for the interior. Oddly, white is referred to for the wheel well area. I think this is a basic misinterpretation because every picture I’ve seen shows it to be aluminium in finish. Some silver paint was slapped around accordingly. The resin engine had a little detailing with the gear case painted grey. I had managed to extract the first two components of the undercarriage from the runners, and after more head-scratching and referring to the Airfix instructions, the orientation and location was arrived at to put it together

50291123687_d51b853ccc_b.jpg

While the undercarriage cement was drying sufficiently for further handling, I tidied up and joined the wing halves.

50290973906_19f1606da1_b.jpg

The third part of the undercarriage failed to come away from the runner in one piece. What was left also didn’t really fit where it was meant to. I removed the shorter arms at the top, and fitted the remainder to the earlier assembly, reinforced with CA on all the joints. I had actually painted all the parts before taking them off the runners, but I don’t think I should have bothered as most of it has since been removed for gluing! The upper arms were replaced by short lengths of Slater's microrod. 

Once it had all set, I then attempted to fit the assembly into the fuselage. All the construction is done before you join the fuselage halves together, which makes sense. The worry, of course, is without positive location points it’s darned difficult to work out if the thing is square and level. That’s quite important if you want it to sit square and true, and not have one wingtip higher than the other. Anyway, after about half an hour, including a moment where the whole thing was flight tested across the bench (nothing broken, happily), it all sort of stayed where I wanted it. 

I tried to fit the engine, but soon discovered the firewall error as the outer cowling ring didn’t come anywhere near the fuselage! The firewall was hoicked out and flipped round, after I’d glued the engine into its centre. 

50290299298_e89e7c714d_b.jpg

This agglomeration is now sitting and drying. I’ll reinforce more of the undercarriage joints with CA, then repaint as necessary. If I’m lucky, the fuselage will be joined together tonight. 

Quite how I will mask the undercrackers for airbrushing the model remains to be seen. :frantic:

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Just a slip, or simple rage?

Just frustration after getting the undercarriage nestled in place for the nth time and it pinged out again.

Real work, and life, must rear its ugly head today. I might be able to get some more work done on the Martlet this evening - if I’m not too knackered.

• Like 2

Hi Heather,

AZ clearly have taken a different approach to Airfix with the cowling, presumably only providing a seperate front ring rather that the whole thing. I prefer the Airfix method as it is easier to get the engine lined up I think. Whatever, I am sure you will sort it out. Mind you, the Martlet IV that I built probably needed that as the cowling was somewhat different to the "normal" one due to the change of engine.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1